ROE S/C

2MANYTOYS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just ordered the Roe S/C. I couldn't wait anymore, hopefully it will be here in mid March. Does anyone know if adding the Balenger headers makes a big difference or not? Is it worth the Money? I'm thinking I might as well do it now and get it over with.

S

SUN RA KAT

I had Belanger Headers put on my car beefore I even picked it up from Bill Pemberton at Woodhouse Viper. Woodhouse also did many other mods at the same time with the future Roe Supercharger in mind. Having good headers with any supercharger/turbocharger, high flow cats, & cat back should be considered part of the process of getting the performance you are looking for and well worth the cost. On a mostly stock Viper, major improvements in the entire exhaust system would be nowhere nearly as dramatic as with forced induction. On a stock Viper exhaust improvements are more for sound quality than extra power at a reasonable price.

The bottom line - Get the Belanger headers and high flow cats and cat back to go with your Roe Supercharger and VEC2. Call Sean Roe for his advice - I did.

OP
OP

2MANYTOYS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SUN RA KAT
Thanks for the info. I have the Hi-flow cats here in my office waiting for install. I already have the Corsa 3" catback, smooth tubes,filters, etc... I was going to IM you about the headers to see if you have them or not. I'm so excited I can't wait.

OP
OP

2MANYTOYS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SUN RA KAT
Looks like we've got the same taste in colors. I'm one of those 83's as well. Your car must be really fast now. Yellow cars are faster from the factory anyway!!!!!!!! :cool:

S

SUN RA KAT

2MANYTOYS &amp; jimandela - <font color="brown">Great Minds Think Alike!</font>

<font color="purple">Because it's </font>

<font color="yellow">YELLOW! YELLOW! YELLOW! </font> :D

GONABITE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2MANYTOYS,

I would go with the B&amp;B system it is a very nice (LEAK FREE) system. Do a search on Belanger and you will see many thread on leaking exhaust from this system. For headers I would definetley go with B&amp;B, from the cats back is more a personal choice on sound level and looks. Also those Belanger headers are made out of steel, and not Stainless Steel.

OP
OP

2MANYTOYS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
jimandela - Hurry up an order that S/C. If you order before Feb.28 it's 6,995.00 after that it goes to 7,495.00

SUN RA KAT - What other mods. do you have done with the S/C?

GONABIT - Thanks for the info. I will check them out as well.

Snake Bitten - Your next!! Go ahead and get one. You got me in this mess in the first place. Now I can't stop modding. As you told me go ahead and stroke the check.

S

SUN RA KAT

Belanger headers are coated - no leaks on mine, and NO non-Yellow Vipers are allowed on THIS thread. Belanger headers also give a deeper exhaust sound than B&amp;B headers, with the rest of the exhaust system being the same, if that matters.

Random Tech Ultra High Flow (525+ HP) cats

Corsa 3" cat back

Roe 70 mm smooth tubes, Roe 70 mm air box, 70 mm throttle bodies

Roe VEC2 with 91, 93, 94, &amp; 100 octane computer cards

Roe Supercharger

Roe radiator hoses &amp; 180 degree thermostat

Roe clutch adjustment

Roe fan controller &amp; timer

Lightweight flywheel

MGW shift knob, A/C control knobs, glove box with unused cup holder

North Califonia Viper Club floor &amp; spare tire cover mats

Northwind 2" seat lowering kits for both seats

Zaino'd at Woodhouse before I picked my Viper up

EBC Green brake pads

That's all I can think of right now, but there may be more. And there may be more mods in the future...

<font color="yellow">This is a YELLOW THREAD. YELLOW! YELLOW! YELLOW![b/] </font> :usa:

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kenny (Sun Ra Cat),

Stupid question, but are you happy with the sound of your exhaust system? If possible, can you put the sound characteristics into words - at idle, acceleration, full throttle, and highway? Would be very helpful.

I will be modifying my 1998 GTS (Silver/Blue), and the setup will be VERY similiar to yours. Roe S/C, bigger throttle bodies, Corsa 3', Roe high-flow cats, and VEC2 are definites. My only difference may be headers. Do you have any opinions/advice? I would love to find a nice used 1 3/4 header, but if I buy new it looks like Belanger or B&amp;B seems the way to go. Any regrets selecting the Belanger with the Roe S/C setup? I know Sean used B&amp;B on his test mule, but wasn't sure if there was a reason, or just what he had easy access too. I realize everyone speaks very highly of the Belanger with the N/A Viper (or nitrous), but I wondered if you need to take different things into consideration when adding a blower. Also, how are underhood temps?

Thanks in advance for your honest opinion and advice.

P.S. - Am I going to be the first Silver/Blue GTS with a blower? Hmmmmm....

P.S.S. - Is there a reason you decided against 1.7 RR? I was thinking of passing on this mod as well, due to minimum HP gains, cost, and having to change internals of the motor. Curious as to your reason.....

S

SUN RA KAT

I plan on taking my Viper to the dyno once I run through a tankfull of Sunoco 94 octane so the PCM will have learned how to drive it with the Roe Racing VEC2 and the 94 octane VEC2 card programmed into it. I will be checking for air/fuel mixture as well as HP &amp; Torque. I expect to get around 575 rear wheel HP and 600 pounds/feet torque. All is dependent at this point on the Snow Gods - I got the 94 octane and 100 octane computer cards for my VEC2 a week ago and haven't been able to drive it since...and the forecast for the next week looks like my Viper will be Queen of the Garage for another week...

VIPER GTS and my Viper were being worked on in that order by our Viper Tech, putting in the VEC2. We both have 3" Corsa cat backs and I think we both have high flow cats, though they may be from different manufactures. He has B&amp;B headers and I have Belangers. Both our cars sound meaner than feces at idle and at part throttle, but his is higher pitched than mine. I haven't heard his at full throttle and I've only heard my Viper at full throttle while inside it. I haven't been in Viper GTS's to say how it sounds inside the car. His car was going through more of a learning process with his PCM than mine and this was when his car was first road tested by our Viper tech, the final sounds may be slightly different now. Sean's a dealer for B&amp;B headers, but both B&amp;B, Belanger, and one or two other brands are supposed to be good. Just make sure they are coated like Belanger headers are, either by the manufacture or by an aftermarket coater. coating really helps hold the side sill temperatures down as well as temperatures in the engine compartment where delicate electronic devices don't like heat, like your PCM. My underhood temps are not bad even after frolicking fairly hard. You will get more power with 1 3/4" tube headers over 1 5/8" tube headers.

The Roe Supercharger made my exhaust system quite a bit quieter and changed the quality of the sound as well. It was sounding like barely muffled open headers on a built big block before the superchager and now it sound like a monster exotic extremely high HP engine. Inside it is quiet enough now to even think about reading the instruction manual and setting radio stations, but I haven't. It's still pretty loud by 99% of the rest of the cars on the road standards, but I don't worry about getting an anti-noise ticket like I used to.

Other things - you'll need new spark plug wires to get the spark to the inside of the cylinder - I got Magnacore 8.5 mm at JonB of Parts Rack's advisement and they work perfect and I have no radio interference that i would have had with Mopar Performance Viper wires. Also, a 180 degree thermostat will help - I also got Roe radiator hoses at the same time. The Roe fan controler and timer also helps keeps things happy in the cooling system after a hard day of frolicking.

I didn't do 1.7 roller rockers because I wanted to make sure everything was working perfectly with the Roe Supercharger - this was before the VEC2 and some people were having engine management problems (detonation) - and also I had overspent my budget. The VEC2 appears to have solved any &amp; all problems with detonation, but I want to get an air/fuel check done on the dyno to make sure everything is running as good as I'm sure it is. I may be satisfied with the power and not add any more mods to it or I may add 1.7 roller rockers next year. It looks like 1.7 rollers will add quite a bit of torque &amp; HP at 2,000 -3,000 RPM, which is where I normally drive &amp; frolic at. I got the Roe Supercharger because of the torque at the lower RPMs because that is where I drive, not near red line, though the 1.7 rollers do add quite a bit of power near the redline (6,000 RPM) over stock rockers, for those cases of extreme frolicking. Actually, on a HP per dollar basis with the Roe Supercharger, the gain with 1.7 rollers is a good inexpensive mod. But, do I even need more power with what I already have?

GASDOC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kenny,I don't see why your car would be quieter with more air being pushed through the exhaust,mine definately is LOUDER after the Roe SC was installed.

S

SUN RA KAT

GASDOC -

I was surprised, too, about my exhaust getting quieter inside the car after the supercharger was installed - I expected the opposite. My heavily modded Ram truck got quieter, too, when I added the M1 2bbl Mopar performance intake manifold. In both the Viper and my Ram, my performance in both increased dramatically, especially the Viper.

OP
OP

2MANYTOYS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SUN RA KAT
Nice list of mods. I have a lot of the same ones with more to come. Who's flywheel and throttle bodies did you go with? Also, are the radiator hoses worth the money or mostly for engine dress up?

S

SUN RA KAT

The throttle bodies were sold to me by Sean Roe. I had heard of trouble getting the air out of the Viper's cooling system and with the 180 degree thermostat being installed I figured the Roe hoses would make the process of getting the air out much easier, look great though they can't be seen with the hood closed, and last much longer than the stock hoses. Even with the air valve in the top hose it took about 20 minutes to get all the air out of my cooling system - without the air valve it would have taken a lot longer.

Bill Pemberton of Woodhouse Viper had whatever brand of lightweight flywheel he uses put on my Viper - brand is unknown to me. The lightweight flywheel makes RPM matching almost instantaneous when changing gears. It also drops the RPMs back to idle almost instantaneous when I push the clutch in and just coast back down to the speed limit after frolicking. I suspect that may be part of the reason I got 17.3 MPG city/highway/full throttle on my last tankfull.

I am very happy with the Roe radiator hoses, the 70 mm throttle bodies, and the lightweight flywheel - actually everything I've gotten for my Viper has worked super and would do it all again except for the MGW cup holder, which is beautiful and hidden behind my MGW glove box door with the <font color="yellow">yellow</font> Sneaky Pete Viper emblem, but only because I've never used it.

VIPR GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
2MANYTOY
Unlike Kenny, I put the supercharger on prior to the headers. I ran the car
a few hundred miles and was pleased but not totally satisfied with the performance. After searching through the archives and many of the vender sites, I went back to Sean, he likes and sells the B&amp;B headers. On everything else he has been right on, so, I ordered the B&amp;B's, had them JetHot coated, and installed them in my garage. Not only is the car noticeably louder, now the air being forced into the motor has an equally effective way of exiting the motor. Much better performance with the supercharger, you are stuffing air in and the stock headers can not extract if fast enough, the B&amp;B's let it all flow properly. The interior is louder but not at all objectionable, and the car still sounds like and exotic with the Corsa 3" and Random Tech high flow cats. In other words, spring for the headers, they are needed with the sc.
Oh, also, remember, all the fast Vipers were marked with stripes at the factory.

OP
OP

2MANYTOYS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
VIPR GTS
Thanks for the info. I'm gonna add headers, I will go with either B&amp;B or Balenger. I think it only makes since to add headers. I was trying to talk myself out of them and saving some $$$. But I would end up doing them later anyway so I might as well go for it. I'm also gonna do 70MM throttle bodies and Aluminum flywheel. That should do me over for a little while.
BTW, everybody knows that Yellow Vipers are the fastest. :laugh:

S

SUN RA KAT

2MANYTOYS -

Do it right the first time! And you are.

Viper GTS is confusing his great driving skills with having a solid <font color="yellow">YELLOW </font> Viper, as far as fast goes. We both have the same Viper Tech, and he reports that Viper GTS is an extremely good &amp; fast driver. If he had a solid, or even a striped <font color="yellow">YELLOW</font> Viper, he would able to get there before he even leaves to go there. Even with that handicap, his beautiful Saphire Blue and White Striped Viper can get there almost the same time that he leaves to get there, thanks to his prodigious driving skills.

My ultra fast <font color="yellow">YELLOW</font> Viper is handicapped by it's slow driver. Hopefully, Viper Days will speed up this slow driver...if the snow here in Ohio ever stops coming long enough for it to melt by the end of April.

GTSTF

Enthusiast
Reaction score
this may be a stupid question because i'm a stupid guy and haven't really been paying attention to what's been going on, but i take it all the kinks were worked out of the Roe S/C?

i guess i'm not extremely stupid because i, too, drive one of the FASTER YELLOW VIPERS.

S

SUN RA KAT

GTSTF -

The kinks are all out of the Roe Supercharger. Get one now before the price increase. :usa:

coiled

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You yellow leg humpers are making me sick. The rumor is yellow is only good to attract **** and fat chicks. If thats your market, GO FOR IT!!!!!!!!!!

Bandit3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I reiterate--- belanger is the way to go. Check out my cars numbers- only the exhaust has been upgraded. Over one year with this system- no leaks. As for the exhaust note, ask someone who's heard mine. It's loud, but I love it. John

S

SUN RA KAT

coiled's hobbies of "Burning Rubber, Drinking Beer and Hustling Ladies" obviously makes him qualified at last call for drinks and hustling the same ladies that 3 hours before he wouldn't be caught dead as Dale Earnhardt Jr.'s dad with an expert on listening to what someone else said on his way out the door with a *** dressed in drag, but looks like a woman because she/he weighs 400 pounds and stands 5'5" and was wearing a yellow dress that showed his/her clevage. I guess coiled will be "Burning Rubber" tonight. :shocked: :D :rolleyes:

Thou shalt not take the <font color="yellow">YELLOW </font>Viper name in vain!

OP
OP

2MANYTOYS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SUN RA KAT
I went ahead and ordered the Balenger Headers, 180 thermostat, Aluminum Flywheel,and fan controller.

OP
OP

2MANYTOYS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh yea I forgot I also ordered the Magnacor plug wires. Did you put the Throttle Bodies on before the supercharger was installed? If so, do they make much difference?