Roe Supercharger Being Installed Tomorrow

S

SUN RA KAT

I got my Sean Roe Supercharger last Thurday and tomorrow my Viper Tech is going to start installing it for me after he gets off of work at the local Dodge dealer. It will take either 2 or 3 days - we both believe in doing it right the first time, no matter how long it takes.

I have Sean Roe Radiator Hoses, 180 Degree Thermostat, 70 mm Air Boxes, 70 mm Smooth Tubes, 70 mm Throttle Bodies, and, of course, his Supercharger System. I also got Magnacore Spark Plug Wires from JonB-PartsRack. And 2 gallons of distilled water.

I will help out by staying out of his way and taking photos and providing conversation. Full reports and photos should be coming shortly thereafter.

Oh, did I mention
bounce.gif
bounce.gif
bounce.gif
bounce.gif
?

Black Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats and I cant wait to hear your report, but I was wondering do you have an aftermarket radiator or are did you install the 180 thermostat on the stock radiator? If you installed it on the stock one do you feel that it was worth it? Also have you installed 1.7s? I am #2 on the list for the second batch and cant wait.
bounce.gif
bounce.gif
bounce.gif

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmmm..

you forgot one critical component. 2 or 3 days of work is going to require at LEAST 2 cases of beer, maybe more. Better to get 3 and be safe.

Have you made sure that this requisite is available for your Viper Tech as he works on your car? No good horsepower upgrade can go smoothly without the anasthetic effects of beer to make you forget the pain of scaped knuckles.

OP
OP
S

SUN RA KAT

Black Snake -

I have the stock radiator. I don't forsee running it so hard that I'd need a better radiator, but if the need arises...

I don't have the 180 thermostat installed yet - that will happen when the stock intake manifold comes off. The real test will be in the summer when it's 95+ degrees and I do a little spirited driving. Right now in Ohio it's too cold for anything other than to learn the characteristics of the supercharger at low speeds - cold air means a lot more power than just a month ago and the roads don't have near the traction when they are this cold.

I'm holding off on putting on the 1.7 roller rockers because:

a.) I'm not rich and I've pretty much spent my budget for mods this year.

b.) What little money I do have left will be going for Viper Days - helmut, gloves, motel, track fee, changing brake pads & fluid, etc. & the most important mod - driver training!

c.) I'm not sure that going from 675 HP to 700 HP (574 rwhp to 600 rwhp) would be that noticable in everyday street driving.

d.) I need some upgrade to be left for the future.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Snake Bitten & Black Snake -

Black is an excellent color for a Viper, but if you want to go faster
<FONT size="5">PUT ON SOME YELLOW STRIPES!</FONT s>

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 180 degree therm makes a difference ONLY at speed. In traffic, the engine operating temp remains the same. I have not found Sean's SC to add any noticeable heat (I did, however, go to the 180 therm...since the SC install leaves you right there for the exchange).

OP
OP
S

SUN RA KAT

Mike Brunton -

My Viper Tech doesn't drink and I drink very little. I will bring him a couple of CDs that I recorded under the name SUN RA KAT. Good music always makes the work easier. Ask Bill Pemberton about my music.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

CitySnake -

That's what I figured the 180 thermostat would do - which is just perfect for my driving style (short exuberant bursts of speed beyond that of mortal cars) unless I get hooked into road racing when I go to Viper Days in the spring. Then, I would be running it hard for a long enough time that a bigger radiator and the Sean Roe under fascia cooling duct might be required. I think Sean told me that the stock cooling system can handle the extra heat for about 20 minutes of continuous road racing.

VIPERCANE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SUN RA KAT...........you are going to so enjoy the SC after it is installed. I used to drive the Viper on weekends and now I find myself neglecting my other babies and spoiling the Viper even more. It is such a rush. Good Luck on your install and hope everything goes right the first time as I cannot see why it wouldn't. Have fun and be safe. It does add a great deal of new power.

OP
OP
S

SUN RA KAT

I loaded all the boxes of goodies into my Viper this morning and adjusted some of them so I could see the passenger side rear view mirror. It was raining fairly hard, but I'm not anal about driving in the rain in my Viper, so I drove to the gas station and filled up with premium gas to add weight for extra traction to drive in the rain. I then took it to the Dodge dealer where my Viper Tech works and he drove me home in his Diesel Ram.

My Viper Tech has several dragsters that are faster than my Viper will be, some 8 second beasts, so I know he can easily drive my Viper to his home, where he will start to work on it tonight. I will probably join him tomorrow night to get photos.

It's amazing how much room the Viper has for a sports car. Over the weekend I went to the grocery store and put 10 bags of groceries in my Viper. 6 bags easily fit in the rear hatch area, and the other 4 bags sat in the passenger area. I took a few photos of the bags in the back hatch area and will post them soon. (start of roll in film camera).

VIPERCANE -

I already find my self neglecting my Ram truck in favor of the Viper. I take my truck, though, if I'm going to be parked for a long period of time, like when I teach at the high school. Fortunately my Ram doesn't feel slow after driving my Viper, thanks to several thousands of dollars of go-fast mods.

Cudaman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kenny, have you talked to your Viper Tech. about wether there will be any problems with the s/c voiding the warranty.

VIPR GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Oh yes Kenny, the word around Voss is that you are installing your supercharger, I think even Craig is aware of it as is the
warranty office. I think that Harold is the one to worry about though, I don't think he has much of a sence of humor, if you know what I mean. Anyway, I am sure they will keep an eye on both of our cars so we must be careful around there. Good luck, and thanks for going first.
Tony

OP
OP
S

SUN RA KAT

VIPR GTS -

I hope not to have any warranty issues. Voss told me if they install a supercharger on my Ram that I'd still have my full warranty. Later they retracted that statement. One of the many reasons I bought from Bill Pemberton at Woodhouse. If Voss doesn't honor any legit warranty work, then I'll send the Viper back to Woodhouse and Woodhouse will have gained my business for more than just Vipers.

Actually, I was hoping you would have gone first so Bobby would be an expert on installing Roe Superchargers by the time he got to me. At any rate, he did great work in putting in almost all the mods on my Ram that I bought at Voss. I was thrilled when I found out he was the Viper Tech at Voss.

Bobby has my Viper in his garage right now getting everything ready for the installation, which should take place tomorrow & Thursday. I'm hoping it will be ready for the weekend.

Are you going to put yours in yourself? I read the instructions and it does look easy enough to do yourself, especially if your short enough that bending over the engine wouldn't stress your back too much. If you do have Bobby put your superchager in, he will be an expert after installing mine.

=============================================
cudaman -

I am hoping for no warranty issues. I am not planning on abusing my Viper in any way. Legally, only if DC can prove the supercharger caused the problem can they deny the warranty.

VIPR GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
No decision yet. I am going to Detroit Thursday and CAAP Friday, so I will decide next week about the S/C. I have all of the tools just don't know about the time. Bobby is a good man and I would be very comfortable with him doing it, especially after he has practiced on yours. But, my headers have not arrived yet so I have no rush, I want to do the headers at the same time, maybe next weekend.