Roof DLM runs 9.93 @ 151 on blower

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I heard on his 9.87 run it was "only" high 130's (??) and that he LIFTED BEFORE FINISHING THE RUN!!!!! Can you say 9.5 ??? WAY TO GO DAVID!!!!!

Can't wait for pics and stories first hand.

just kidding :laugh:

Gerald

Fantastic run and a great race....thanks Roof. On the 9.87 he had to let out so he wouldn't break the 10.00 index (Well, try not to break out :) ). When you let out at the end of a pass or tap the brakes right at the traps it kills mph but doesn't hurt the et as much. Not to take anything from Roof but that would have been in the 9.75 to 9.82 range depending on when and what was done to slow the car.....either way great numbers

Juanmotime

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Damn, that is an amazing MPH, for a car making anything less than 1000RWHP? Did the car go on a bit of a diet to help achieve that, or where the previous runs done with the parking brake on? ;-)

It's a shame he had to get out of it on the 9.87, I'd like to see the timeslips from both runs to see how well it was running at the first 3/4 track.

Congratulations, that is one fast ride!

MaxedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you guys going to post a video of the car making the pass??? i know i'd love to see it :2tu:

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Excellent JOB ROOF!!

He hosted and ran the event, sold the "T" Shirts, prepped his car (with a bit of help), participated in both days venues, BOUGHT MY DINNER AT LANDRYS, and carried the flag for his tuner.

You deserve it!

Tom

MannyC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
His car was inspiring. One thing I want to point out is that he pulled these in a car that can be a daily driver. Some of the other cars there I would never use as anything other than a track car.

-Manny

Dr Roof

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all the Kind words! This was an increedible feeling when I got the Time Ticket. I was so excited this was a great moment.

I will post more later I have limited time now but I have alot of things to say. I will make a quality post tommorow.

Good night.

Fishtail

Enthusiast
Reaction score
David,
How does it feel to have a 9 second DLM beast :laugh: Congrats to you and Doug for running like a champ :2tu:

Doug builds an awesome car!

Ps. Did you ever race Paolo?

Supra

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those calculators are very accurate when it comes to HP and MPH but they actually calculate crank HP. I have seen them incorrectly stated as RWHP though. 980+ HP is indicative of the stated RWHP Dr. Roof's car makes.

Awesome runs and CRAZY MPH, that's for sure.

What kind of HP at the rears does it take to run 151 MPH????

Great Job David!

Gerald - most calculators come up with around 980rwhp to get 151mph trap speed - assuming that the car weighed around 3650lb with fuel and driver in it.

:eek: :eek: :2tu: :2tu:

Pity the belt was slipping on the dyno - because it would have undoubtedly pulled a lot more than the 822rwhp it did.

Glad the belt got tightened enough for that 151mph pass - that was amazing.

96 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats to Dr. Roof. I know you've been trying to get into the 9's for a long time, and you deserve the 9 second time slip for sure. A 151 MPH trap speed is amazing. Great job. :2tu:

Tom86ZT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Roof,
Congrats first off. A 9 sec pass from any car is a great achievement.
How much boost are you pumping into that thing, and did you change pulley's or something from sat to sunday. Just curious, you car goes about 8mph faster than cars with the same or more RWHP and TQ. Congrats nonetheless no matter what, you got a baddass machine.
congrats to all, you made my relaxing weekend worthwhile to spend on the internet.

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Tom, he didnt change the pulley. We (David, Doug, and myself)were all scratching our heads when his car only put down 820rwhp and 830rwtq :confused: Doug told him to tighen the belt which he did, and preceeded to run the 151mph run :eek: It's pretty funny because Paolo's first dyno he only yielded 790rwhp and tq and he went on to tighen his belt and then redynoed @ 862 :eek: I told Roof that I am going to send him my Dlm beast for him to tune and wrench once I get it back lol.

Tom86ZT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Moundir,
Thanks, makes a little more sense. Time to get back on the dyno and see what its reallly doing then. Even as per DLM online RWHP dyno he should be in the 980rwhp range, :eek: and :2tu:
I hope you got upgraded brakes on that thing Roof, looks like you're gonna need them, even if its just light to light.
Whats the next goal now that you got the 9sec pass?

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those calculators are very accurate when it comes to HP and MPH but they actually calculate crank HP. I have seen them incorrectly stated as RWHP though. 980+ HP is indicative of the stated RWHP Dr. Roof's car makes.

True - which is why I deliberately looked for calculators that measured rwhp. Crank hp estimates were around 1150hp to run 3650lb to 151mph :eek: :D

There's absolutely no question that all the Vipers that topped 150mph were making well over 1000hp at the engine!

:headbang: :headbang: :2tu:

Reaction score
David -

You did a wonderful job driving your car and putting the power to the ground; You made my job look a whole lot better :) . You were fortunate enough to have some good air, a fast car, good track and a GREAT driver!
One day if you have time please share with us the amount of experience you've had racing cars before owning your Viper. Not many can appreciate your excellent driving without knowing the circumstances you explained to me.

I'm certain you would have put down a much better dyno number, had you been able to tighten the belt a little. When we dyno'd your car here we loaded it with plenty of weight to keep the rears from spinning ... we never did get an accurate hp number. When you have a supercharged car moving down the track with enough cool air moving across the air to air intercooler, the horsepower becomes quite surprising.

Keep up the great work and I know you'll have many low et's ahead of you.
Congrats to everybody for the impressive race day numbers and I hope to meet up with all of you soon!

Doug

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Excellent effort Doug - as they say - you can argue over dyno numbers - but you can't argue with trap speeds - especially when they're over 150mph!! That's right up there! :2tu:

utahviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Parachute time for the roof. He will get kicked off every track in the country for doing 150+MPH in the 1/4. At least all the NHRA tracks. I don't think they would over look something like that. What an impressive run. I know everyone at DLM is glad you ran a nine but no one is more happy than you and you deserve it.

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Todd I know of one person who was wayyyyyyy more happier than Roof lol ;) David has inspired me to talk more $hit to the Vette and Supra guys, thanx David :headbang:

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Congratulations on the event and the great runs David. Wish I could have been there. Maybe next years events... :)

Regards,
Sean

Supra

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Torque, those calculators are taking the numbers that already calculate for HP at the crank and mistakingly quoting them as RWHP. For instance SW's Supra went 154+ MPH at full weight (~3700 pounds) on a stock bottom end. That translates to 1054 RWHP with the formula that supposedly calculates RWHP and 1240 HP at the crank. I only know of one Supra making close to that much HP on a stock bottom end (1040 RWHP) and as far as I know they haven't run the car at the track at that HP level. SW's Supra dynoed in the high 7XX or 8XX RWHP range, not 1054 RWHP. In fact he did that with a T72 and ~150 HP shot of NOS. A T72 can only support ~750 to 800 RWHP MAX.

That HP formula that is supposedly calculating RWHP is the exact same that calculates HP at the crank (rather effectively I may add).

True - which is why I deliberately looked for calculators that measured rwhp. Crank hp estimates were around 1150hp to run 3650lb to 151mph :eek: :D

There's absolutely no question that all the Vipers that topped 150mph were making well over 1000hp at the engine!

:headbang: :headbang: :2tu:

GaryA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congratulations, Dr. Roof! I never saw anybody work so hard to organize, promote, and run an event and then be able to pull off a great run like that. Wow!!

Chuck B 98 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dr. Roof,
Congrats on an awesome showing! You backed up the 9 sec passes also :D . DLM builds one heck of a beast and you can drive! You were the one that stepped up and showed the nay-sayers what DLM cars are capable of. That's were numbers count, head to head competition!!!!!
So many other tuner's cars were flying.... RSI, Hennsy, Roe, Heffner, SVS.... unreal!

Ps. What did Paolo run? ==> Wasn't he the guy who shot his mouth off how much better his car was then any other DLM Viper??? I haven't heard of any track numbers from him yet?

Cheers,
Chuck

Fishtail

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You would need a parachute and a certified chassis. I wouldn't want to go that far with my car. You wouldn't have it on the track as much as you would on the street so I wouldn't want to lose the creature comforts.

-Lou

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ps. What did Paolo run? ==> Wasn't he the guy who shot his mouth off how much better his car was then any other DLM Viper??? I haven't heard of any track numbers from him yet?

Cheers,
Chuck

First of all, I would like to congratulate David Boggs and Doug Levin on putting down the big number. :2tu: :headbang: :eek:

David put on one heck of an event and quite a show to boot!

Chuck, I ran a 10.5076 @ 142.23 MPH with a 1.74 60 footer. The car had the sway bar still attached, stiff springs and shock settings, and the identical corner weighting and alignment that yielded a 1.097 G's pull on the skidpad in the magazine test.

"==> Wasn't he the guy who shot his mouth off how much better his car was then any other DLM Viper???"

Chuck, I think there are many ways to measure how "Good" a Viper is.

This congratulatory post is no place to mudsling.

If you have issues with me, try an email. I will be happy to figuratively [******] slap you in private ;)

P.S. What is your fastest MPH and quickest ET at the strip? :rolleyes: