rotational mass affecting time on track - what about Purners?

MannyC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys,

As some of you may have read, I sheared a wheel off my car at Button Willow this past weekend. I was running 96 wheels on street tires. I will be getting some new track wheels and was told that the new 19" Purners are about 18 pounds lighter than the 96 wheels are, per wheel. This would be 72 pounds in savings, not calculating in the rotational mass equation (is that 4X the #?) If so, that would be somewhere about 300 pounds of savings, right?

My question is, how much of a difference will I notice on the track with these wheels compared to the stock wheels? Details would be great.

Thanks

Hoosier Daddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is there any race rubber available in the 19" rim size. I haven't looked. Most drivers with the 98 and earlier Vipers went to the 18" fronts for fitting larger rotors and calipers due to clearance issues.

Bugeater

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone know the weight savings between an 18 purner vs. the 18 stock BBS on the ACR?

I am trying to decide whether or not to but 4 purners, or buy 2 ACR/BBS wheels, since I already have an extra 2 ACR wheels (1 front, 1 back).