Royal Purple Synchromax Trans Fluid

wikkid

Viper Owner
Reaction score
How good is this stuff in the T56 trans. Ive read all good things about it. Takes a while for my trans to warm up, and shifting can be notchy. What do you guys use instead of the syntorq?
Thanks

lbstone

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I used the Synchromax in my Ram SRT-10 and it made a significant difference in cold shifts. At temp the difference was less noticable but I immidiately put the stuff in my Viper as soon as I purchased (cant recall a diffence as I only drove the Viper for a day or two before I changed hte tranny fuild out). I'm running Royal Purple gear oil and engine oil also!

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have heard from reliable Viper techs that RP will damage the yellow metals in the tranny and shouldn't be used. I use AMS Manual Transaxle Gear oil which is designed for the higher temps of the Viper tranny. Works great.

PS-Send your VIN to Club and get upgraded to 'Owner'.

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm about to change my trans fluid as well. I talked to a lot of knowledgeable people on here and they all recommended the stock trans fluid for the Gen III cars. It looks like the manufacturer got this one right.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FYI

DEXRON-III:

DEXRON-III is not compatible with the most recently designed transmissions, and the use of these earlier type fluids could result in transmission damage.[1]
All DEXRON-III licenses expired at the end of 2006, and will not be renewed. Beyond that date, General Motors will only support the use of DEXRON-VI fluids for use in Hydra-Matic transmissions.[1] Fluids claiming DEXRON-III type performance continue to be sold under abbreviated names such as Dex/Merc and D/M, however, since the DEXRON-III licensing system no longer exists, these fluids are not regulated by GM in any way.

DEXRON-VI

DEXRON-VI was introduced in 2005. It was designed to replace all prior specifications, and is therefore backward-compatible with applications calling for DEXRON of any type. The specification (GMN 10060) defines both a performance level and specific additives that provide improved shift feel, friction durability and oxidative stability compared to earlier specified fluids.

(source-GM/wiki)

OP
OP
W

wikkid

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Is this stuff an easy pickup at a auto parts store. Or is this a dealer pickup ?

OP
OP
W

wikkid

Viper Owner
Reaction score
FYI

DEXRON-III:

DEXRON-III is not compatible with the most recently designed transmissions, and the use of these earlier type fluids could result in transmission damage.[1]
All DEXRON-III licenses expired at the end of 2006, and will not be renewed. Beyond that date, General Motors will only support the use of DEXRON-VI fluids for use in Hydra-Matic transmissions.[1] Fluids claiming DEXRON-III type performance continue to be sold under abbreviated names such as Dex/Merc and D/M, however, since the DEXRON-III licensing system no longer exists, these fluids are not regulated by GM in any way.

DEXRON-VI

DEXRON-VI was introduced in 2005. It was designed to replace all prior specifications, and is therefore backward-compatible with applications calling for DEXRON of any type. The specification (GMN 10060) defines both a performance level and specific additives that provide improved shift feel, friction durability and oxidative stability compared to earlier specified fluids.

(source-GM/wiki)

Ok i take it i have to go the dealer for the DEX V1, this looks like some good stuff.

OP
OP
W

wikkid

Viper Owner
Reaction score
No, you can pick up Dex VI at any Autozone or Advanced Auto.

Perfect,one right aroung the corner.
Thanks guys Dextron it is. Gotta be better with cold shifts then whats in there. Its time anyways, 48K on the trans.

lbstone

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have heard from reliable Viper techs that RP will damage the yellow metals in the tranny and shouldn't be used. I use AMS Manual Transaxle Gear oil which is designed for the higher temps of the Viper tranny. Works great.

PS-Send your VIN to Club and get upgraded to 'Owner'.
We all "hear" lots of things but I forgo judgement based on hearsay. I love the stuff and have used it in two T56 tranny's with great results.

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The issue with the damage to T56 components comes from the different years of the transmission.
Synthetic lube (Mobil 1, RedLine, Royal Purple) should NOT be used on pre-2000 T56 transmissions as it can eradicate the paper blocking rings in them.
Post-2000 T56 transmissions have Kevlar blocking rings, so synthetic lube is okay.

The OEM/Castrol lube can be a bit thick, esp. in colder climates, but it's one that the manufacturer got right, if soley for protections sake.
Personally, I run Mobil 1 and I've been happy with it.

I heard good things about Royal Purple, but after they got busted last year for mis-leading claims regarding their oil, I think I'll pass on their trans. fluid.
(No offense, Derek. Don't stuff me into one of the truck tires at the end of the barbell you're pressing 40 times in 60 seconds....LOL)

Lots of good options out there, but remember: Using something other than the Castrol/OEM stuff will probably cook any type of warranty on the transmision.

lbstone

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The issue with the damage to T56 components comes from the different years of the transmission.
Synthetic lube (Mobil 1, RedLine, Royal Purple) should NOT be used on pre-2000 T56 transmissions as it can eradicate the paper blocking rings in them.
Post-2000 T56 transmissions have Kevlar blocking rings, so synthetic lube is okay.

The OEM/Castrol lube can be a bit thick, esp. in colder climates, but it's one that the manufacturer got right, if soley for protections sake.
Personally, I run Mobil 1 and I've been happy with it.

I heard good things about Royal Purple, but after they got busted last year for mis-leading claims regarding their oil, I think I'll pass on their trans. fluid.
(No offense, Derek. Don't stuff me into one of the truck tires at the end of the barbell you're pressing 40 times in 60 seconds....LOL)

Lots of good options out there, but remember: Using something other than the Castrol/OEM stuff will probably cook any type of warranty on the transmision.

How dare you Kevan!! I just like putting purple fluid in my Viper :D

Trans Doc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All Viper T-56 transmissions have the Kevlar lined blocker rings. The pre 96 units used Dextron 3, Castrol Syntorq was developed for 96 and up to eliminate the neutral gear rattle that was aggravated by the cam change. This oil also has a higher shear strength and temp tolerance than the ATF.
Some Redline and RP oils have an additive that can swell the Kevlar lining and cause shifting issues.
We recommend the Castrol Syntorq for all T-56 units.

lbstone

Viper Owner
Reaction score
All Viper T-56 transmissions have the Kevlar lined blocker rings. The pre 96 units used Dextron 3, Castrol Syntorq was developed for 96 and up to eliminate the neutral gear rattle that was aggravated by the cam change. This oil also has a higher shear strength and temp tolerance than the ATF.
Some Redline and RP oils have an additive that can swell the Kevlar lining and cause shifting issues.

hmmmm, reverse is a ***** to get into this past year of so!!!!

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All Viper T-56 transmissions have the Kevlar lined blocker rings.
This contradicts information I got from Corvette owners, T56rebuilds.com, and the tech I spoke with at Tremec.
I'm NOT saying you're wrong.
I'm just not sure who to believe now.

I'll go get Derek some water now.
Wait....better make that 3 liquefied chickens..... :D

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Castrol Syntorque was not put in the Viper by the factory until 1998. Dextron III was used up to that point. In a normal, non-competition car, Dextron should be just fine, correct?