RT/10 3D model build for Assetto Corsa

A3DR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi guys, my name is Daniel (best known as A3DR in the modding community) and I'm building an accurate 3D model of the 1st gen RT/10, specifically for the PC simulator Assetto Corsa.
Here's some of my work including a GTS-R I did recently: https://a3dr.artstation.com/

This will be free to download for anybody who owns the game, so any help will be appreciated and credited properly of course. Not to mention everybody will get to enjoy driving this car in one of the best driving simulators once it's done.

My specific question for now is related to the wheelbase of the RT/10, I have gathered all the data I could find on the internet, but numbers don't seem to match. Here's why:

You must be registered for see images attach

That's my 3D model (early work in progress of course) on top of the reference image I've been using, as you can see the length is about right (4448 mm) but the wheelbase according to most sources should be 2443-2444 mm, there's a 40 mm difference there, even comparing to the real pic:

As you can see here, the 3D model fits real pictures of the car in terms of proportions, even the overall width (1924 mm) is good, as well as front and rear track:

Also height (1117 mm) and ground clearance (127 mm) matches my 3D model, tire size and rims is also up to spec.

The only value I'm having issues is the wheelbase, is there any chance to get it from a current owner who can measure the car, or someone with a better knowledge of these numbers?

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I may be able to measure my mom's 94 at some point. This is an awesome project! I bought an Oculus Rift pretty much just to play Assetto Corsa and have been waiting for a good Viper model. No one seems to care about the old cars as much. It's mostly gen 5 stuff. I did take one of the models and tried to at least adjust the physics to attempt to mimic my 04 a little better (power, weight, gears, etc.). Seemed to work out okay, but it's just not really quite the same when you don't have the right pictures in front of you.

Any chance you'd be interested in doing a gen 3/4 after you finish the gen 1?

OP
OP
A3DR

A3DR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I may be able to measure my mom's 94 at some point. This is an awesome project! I bought an Oculus Rift pretty much just to play Assetto Corsa and have been waiting for a good Viper model. No one seems to care about the old cars as much. It's mostly gen 5 stuff. I did take one of the models and tried to at least adjust the physics to attempt to mimic my 04 a little better (power, weight, gears, etc.). Seemed to work out okay, but it's just not really quite the same when you don't have the right pictures in front of you.

Any chance you'd be interested in doing a gen 3/4 after you finish the gen 1?

Well good to have another AC user here :) if you can get that measurement would be great! for now I'm focusing on mid 90's sports cars, started with this project in mind:

http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/the-need-for-speed.134193/

So later era cars aren't my thing really. The RT/10 has been missing from many games over the years, so I'm planning on doing the best I can to represent it as truthful as possible. Had this issue on other cars (Lamborghini Diablo for example) where the spec'd wheelbase doesn't match the rest of the geometry, but I couldn't get a hold of a Diablo owner to verify back then.

OP
OP
A3DR

A3DR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some more progress on this model, any chance an actual owner might be interested in helping out a bit?

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Were you doing interior modeling too for cockpit views? If you need some pictures I could probably get you some of those too.

OP
OP
A3DR

A3DR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Of course, interior will be fully detailed like all my cars, for example:

What I could use is a good pic of the speedometer, as I've got good ones of all the gauges except that one. Also from the console controls if you can, and if there's the original stereo in too ;)

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Yep, pretty sure her's is the factory stereo. I'll have to see what I can get for you. Looking forward to the final product! I saw you were also attempting to get the physics right in your linked thread. Where are you pulling your info from? I think the service manual actually has a good diagram with hard points for determining if the frame is straight. Could be a good reference.

As a side note, if you don't mind my asking, how do you do all of your work? Do you CAD model stuff or is it all done in more "sculpting" based stuff like Blender? I've looked through the "mechanics" of some of the openly moddable cars in AC and have a reasonably idea about how they are set up from a physics standpoint, but the graphics are totally beyond me. I do CAD work for a living, but not really pretty shape design, more structural parts.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A3DR

A3DR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I work on 3dsmax, and yes, is basically sculpting polygons is what I do, starting from a simple mesh to what you see in the final images

I've got the specs from here:
http://www.vipercentral.com/specifications/

Also checked with other sources and most values seem to be accurate. The key elements for AC are suspension mounting points and wheelbase, so any light on that will be truly appreciated :)
We've got the physics pretty much figured out, but it always help to measure a real car to compare. The only element for now that's my main question is why there's such a difference in the wheelbase, funny thing this happened when working on the Lamborghini Diablo and the official Countach, all cars have about 40-50mm longer wheelbase than what's published. Wondering what Chrysler had to do with this....?
Definitely having a real car measured for wheelbase will clear that question ;)

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Forgive me for being a bit out of touch on a few things,
but what is "Assetto Corsa" and why would it need an
accurate Gen1 texture model? Is it a game?

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Yep, it's one of the many racing games out there. To use the cliche term, it's really built more as a simulator and tries very hard to have accurate representation of vehicle performance. As a side bonus it's also VR compatible so an Oculus Rift or HTC Vive is awesome to use with this game and a set of steering wheel and pedals.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I work on 3dsmax, and yes, is basically sculpting polygons is what I do, starting from a simple mesh to what you see in the final images

I've got the specs from here:
http://www.vipercentral.com/specifications/

Also checked with other sources and most values seem to be accurate. The key elements for AC are suspension mounting points and wheelbase, so any light on that will be truly appreciated :)
We've got the physics pretty much figured out, but it always help to measure a real car to compare. The only element for now that's my main question is why there's such a difference in the wheelbase, funny thing this happened when working on the Lamborghini Diablo and the official Countach, all cars have about 40-50mm longer wheelbase than what's published. Wondering what Chrysler had to do with this....?
Definitely having a real car measured for wheelbase will clear that question ;)

I'll grab her service manual as well and take a look through it. I'm fairly certain it had all the mounting points for the suspension and would likely include the wheelbase info, but I'll still try to measure that to be sure. I'll see if I can't scan the pages to send to you if I can find them.

OP
OP
A3DR

A3DR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Forgive me for being a bit out of touch on a few things,
but what is "Assetto Corsa" and why would it need an
accurate Gen1 texture model? Is it a game?
More of a simulator, yeah, like MoparMap stated above. Is not that it "needs", this is something I do in my spare time, apart from being my profession (3D artist).

I'll grab her service manual as well and take a look through it. I'm fairly certain it had all the mounting points for the suspension and would likely include the wheelbase info, but I'll still try to measure that to be sure. I'll see if I can't scan the pages to send to you if I can find them.

That'll be awesome, getting all that info first hand is priceless :)

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
When I pulled a tape measure between the wheel centers I got right close to 96.5". That's 2451.1mm in metric speak. Admittedly it wasn't a straight pull of the tape as it bent very slightly against the body, but should be in the ballpark at least. The service manual states a wheelbase of 96.2" (2444mm) with a front track of 59.6" (1514mm) and a rear track of 60.6" (1538mm). Overall length is 175.11" (4448mm), max width excluding mirrors of 75.74" (1924mm), max width including mirrors of 77.6" (1940mm) and a height of 44.6" (1117mm). They rate the front overhang at 33.1" (827mm) and rear overhang at 22.9" (572mm), so that might help you with determining what is long and short. I've got some interior pictures and some pictures of the service manual frame dimensions, but it would be easier to send those via email so you can get them full quality and size.

OP
OP
A3DR

A3DR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I pulled a tape measure between the wheel centers I got right close to 96.5". That's 2451.1mm in metric speak. Admittedly it wasn't a straight pull of the tape as it bent very slightly against the body, but should be in the ballpark at least. The service manual states a wheelbase of 96.2" (2444mm) with a front track of 59.6" (1514mm) and a rear track of 60.6" (1538mm). Overall length is 175.11" (4448mm), max width excluding mirrors of 75.74" (1924mm), max width including mirrors of 77.6" (1940mm) and a height of 44.6" (1117mm). They rate the front overhang at 33.1" (827mm) and rear overhang at 22.9" (572mm), so that might help you with determining what is long and short. I've got some interior pictures and some pictures of the service manual frame dimensions, but it would be easier to send those via email so you can get them full quality and size.

That's great, thanks for checking all those measurements! I've just compared and there are a couple of bits that don't fit. Setting up that wheelbase (2450 mm) the front overhang is close but the rear is way off, wonder how it's measured? there's a big difference there to what it appears to be (from the end of the bumper to the rear axle?), well, got some homework to do now, won't fit the side pic but I'll adjust it to the real measurements of the car.
Length, width and front / rear track are spot on.

OP
OP
A3DR

A3DR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quick update, some interior paneling work done

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
That's impressive! Looking forward to the final product!

OP
OP
A3DR

A3DR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Michael you've been a great help so far, this is how the interior looks at this point, still stuff missing but getting there :)

OP
OP
A3DR

A3DR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not final yet, but getting closer

RT10Lover

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thats looking incredibly good, I look forward to driving that in the game!

Sorry to read this a bit late... let me know if you need anything else from the car.

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Thats very impressive work. Almost makes me regret
giving up the career in rendering way... way back in
the day...

OP
OP
A3DR

A3DR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys, thanks, car's almost ready to go public, just polishing some final details. Been trying to find the proper operation for the upshift light, I know at lower rpms in first it'll light up to tell the 1 to 4th gear switch is on, but also it lights up past 5k to encourage shifting before hitting the redline. Thing is, after 5000rpm the light stays on all the time or it blinks?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper