RT/10 Mopar Spoiler Installation Tips

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First, thanks go out to JonB for giving me a deal I just could not refuse on my RT/10 Factory-look spoiler. The transaction couldn't have been any easier and my spoiler arrived quickly. Now I'm building up the courage to drill 6 holes in my trunk-lid that are needed to mount the spoiler. :omg: Online Shopping

For those of you that have installed this spoiler, are there any tips you can share with me to make the installation go as smoothly as possible? The spoiler comes with a template and detailed instructions but I suspect there's a tip or two out there not covered by the instructions.

Thanks
- Tony

ukviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm about to do the same thing....I'm in Norwalk..you want to compare notes? i have no fear of drilling!!

Nick

OP
OP
V

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm about to do the same thing....I'm in Norwalk..you want to compare notes? i have no fear of drilling!!

Nick

Nick, certainly. I was going to post pics and progress in this thread too. I'm dropping off my spoiler for painting and a color match tomorrow (hopefully) so I'll probably start drilling next week.

mxmike27

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I found that the studs did not line up with all the marks on the template. One was way off and two were slightly off. Luckily I checked carefully before I punched and drilled the holes. I suggest you lay out the template then carefully place the spoiler on and peek under to see where the studs set on the template. I noted where and then adjusted the spots accordingly. I ended up being just a few thousands of an inch off on one of them, and filed it a little. Mike

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First, thanks go out to JonB for giving me a deal I just could not refuse on my RT/10 Factory-look spoiler. The transaction couldn't have been any easier and my spoiler arrived quickly. Now I'm building up the courage to drill 6 holes in my trunk-lid that are needed to mount the spoiler. :omg: Online Shopping

For those of you that have installed this spoiler, are there any tips you can share with me to make the installation go as smoothly as possible? The spoiler comes with a template and detailed instructions but I suspect there's a tip or two out there not covered by the instructions.

Thanks
- Tony

3/4" inch holes and bolts for sure, Tony.:2tu:

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Masking tape where you are going to drill..(drill through the tape)

Mine lined up perfect.. LOOK for the x marks in the circle that is the marks to drill at. MEASURE MEASURE MEASURE MEASURE MEASURE MEASURE ........... Then drill.........

OP
OP
V

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL @Dave6666, so you're saying my Hilti Hammer Drill will be just fine for this project. :D

Freddog11

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So...what was the smokin' deal. I've been dying to put one on mine.

Hey Jon, you happen to have a pre-painted white with blue stripes spoiler sitting around that you want to get rid of?

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Dave, what kind of shells does that thing shoot?:lmao: Looks kinda like an ***!

Rollin4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I installed one on my 94. After the first hole is drilled the fear will be gone. As said above put tape on body where the holes are to be drilled and make sure the every thing is lined up before drilling. Take your time. Good luck you will definitely like your car better when it's installed

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice choice, Tony! Definitely (my opinion) is the best spoiler for the back of an RT.

Can't wait to see it, stripes and all.:eater:

Good luck on the drilling.

Peter

OP
OP
V

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips everyone but unfortunately this is on hold. When I took the spoiler out of the box today, I found this:

Picture-090-1.jpg

We'll see what JonB suggests. I have an appointment with my painter on Tuesday. This really *****...good thing I didn't drill the holes yet.

Last edited:

mxmike27

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine was also damaged when I recieved it, a split on the side and a hole on the bottom. Jon took care of it immediately by sending me a refund for the amount my painter charged me to repair it. I was really impressed by the customer service I recieved from him. Mike.

OP
OP
V

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not worried, after all, it's JonB and he's already on top of it even on a Monday. :D I believe the damage is fixable, I've certainly seen a lot worse than this. I'll see what my painter says tomorrow but I'm sure all will be well. Looking forward to getting some holes drilled this week. :2tu:

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't forget the stripes.........

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
V

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't forget the stripes.........

Yep, I'm looking forward to that. Not! As subtle as the curves are on this spoiler its going to be fun getting the vinyl to fit nicely. Problem with visiting painters is that they show you all of the freshly painted, showroom/concours and award-winning condition cars they have in the shop and suddenly you're contemplating a repaint. :D Must resist! For now I have vinyl stripes, they're holding up well but its only a matter of time before I paint them on permanently. Heck, I may even do white hood vents.

BTW, I'm almost Bazified...just need to build up my engine like yours...so many mods, so little money!

ukviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips everyone but unfortunately this is on hold. When I took the spoiler out of the box today, I found this:

Picture-090-1.jpg

We'll see what JonB suggests. I have an appointment with my painter on Tuesday. This really *****...good thing I didn't drill the holes yet.

I had the same thing on mine, on the tip on one side and around 2of the mounting studs, luckily it wasnt cracks in the structural fiberglass just the gel coat. A little evercoat and was fixed and ready to go.
Actually only took me 10 -15 minutes to drill and mount, hopefully paint this weekend and I'm done.

Nick

OP
OP
V

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the same thing on mine, on the tip on one side and around 2of the mounting studs, luckily it wasnt cracks in the structural fiberglass just the gel coat. A little evercoat and was fixed and ready to go.
Actually only took me 10 -15 minutes to drill and mount, hopefully paint this weekend and I'm done.

Nick

Nick, unfortunately, it's cracked through the fiberglass and runs another 6" or so down down the end of the spoiler which is visible from all angles. I had two shops look at it this morning and they recommend not repairing it. There's nothing to bond to inside of the spoiler since it's empty. And building up the crack and trying to blend it in that corner area is going to make it look like crap. If it were just a gel coat crack, no brainer but this isn't the case. I'll have to get another one.

ukviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
that ***** :(
Funny you should write about the spoiler bieng hollow as I was looking at mine last night thinking how light it is and what its resilience to impact may be. Got me to thinking of using the injection holes underneath for may be filling it with an expanding foam or something.

OP
OP
V

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
that ***** :(
Funny you should write about the spoiler bieng hollow as I was looking at mine last night thinking how light it is and what its resilience to impact may be. Got me to thinking of using the injection holes underneath for may be filling it with an expanding foam or something.

I'm think we should get a can or two of Great Stuff from Home Depot and fill 'er up. :D Also, Jon at Partsrack is shipping me a replacement. Great customer service so far. Can't wait to get this installed...getting twitchy now. :)

Last edited:

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Despite styro and bubble-wrap packing, FedEx damaged the end of the box. And of course the claim process is impossible without the discarded box..... We are sending out a replacement today...sorry for the inconvenience.

Last edited:

Rollin4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the same problem when I ordered mine from Parts Rack. UPS cracked the spoiler along the edge. Jon replaced it. Great sevice as usual from Parts Rack.

OP
OP
V

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That looks like a bleached knee joint bone from some type of animal. Or maybe a human.

Have you been to confession lately? :dunno:

And does anybody have the link to that missing person's database? :omg:

Clean your garage too. That clutter is gross.

Well, I need some type of filler material to beef up the spoiler. I thought ground up Raccoon bones would do the trick. Yeah...my garage is a big mess. That pic was taken against the cleaner side of the garage...the other side is worse and that's where the Viper lives. I could not in good conscience post pics showing the other side of the garage. I'll have to take a before/after pic of the garage when I get done cleaning it this weekend. Thanks for reminding me, Dave. I'll add "Clean Garage" to the top of my "Honey Do List". :D

OP
OP
V

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I'm FINALLY at the point of actually installing my freshly painted Mopar spoiler. Thanks JonB for sending out the quick replacement. Unfortunately, the instructions are not clear on one particular, albeit important, point. When laying out the template on the trunk lid, where do I line up the mark I made (13 3/4") from the trunk corners) with the template? See below:

Picture_0135.jpg

In the pic above. I lined up the edge of the paper template (A.) with my mark on the blue tape but it seems wrong. Should I be lining up my 13 3/4" mark with the line (B.) on the template? Thx.