RT/10 stereo upgrade experiences wanted

Daffy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm ready to start my pre-spring viper projects, one is my shifter, the other is the stereo. I'm getting ready to go around to the local shops for ideas and recommendations, started looking through crutchfield, etc.

I've found that usually the best advice & ideas come from those who've already gone through the process, so I'm looking for those who have upgraded their stereo systems, speakers, amps, etc., in their RT/10's.

Thanks,

Dave.

OP
OP
D

Daffy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also, I should say that I'm looking at a head unit in crutchfield to play MP3's, that way each CD holds about 10 hours of music - since there's no room for CD holders in the viper I thought this would be ideal.

Dave.

BurnR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
NO ROOM!!!?? I have a 6 cd changer...DVD, GPS/CD and a TV!!! THere is always room....when the NASDAQ was at 5000 I pulled out a little play money...thank god! and went NUTS on my stereo...10" sub, 5.1 surround...center channel...you name it...it does it and it talks too...lots of custom work but pretty bitchn' just the same....it all depends on what you want to spend....but I can watch the news on my way home and music videos on the way to work!!! and no that is not legal.... ;-)

OP
OP
D

Daffy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Burn,

That's outta hand! I'd probably watch movies sitting in the car in my garage at night.

I'd love to hear more detail on the speaker work you had done, I constantly hear of very limited abilities due to space - it sounds like you blew that myth out of the water.

My main search for wisdom is with what speakers, sizes, subs - getting bass - that sort of thing.

BurnR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think I have some pics somewhere on my hardrive....I will go hunting....mostly alpine all stock enclosures up front...I made the OEM "woofer" hole into a false speaker where I can keep stuff hidden... and the deck...speaker holes etc are all stock.....center channel is in the air vent above the stereo...the major work was the sub...passenger leg room was sacrificed but oh well, I am usaully by myself...it is a 10" w/ custom box stuffed up to the firewall and then black carpet...if you look you cannot see it...but I lost about 4" on leg room....the trunk is where all the money went...custom fiberglass "rack" for all the components and all of the amps are where that little bicycle tire for a spare was....they did a top flight job on it and it flippin' rocks especially with the top being off it is nice to still hear good tunes....oh ya, the monitor retracts into the deck and you do not see it when it is off....twas no cheap, but like I said....it think my stereo is worth more than some of the .coms out there today...all done and said it is about 450 watts

Brian Denham

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Daffy, I noticed you listed crutchfield as a potential point of purchase? They are a great company, but rarely have better than retail prices. They do have great service and tech support. Their website is a great place to start your search as they have most every audio component out there. But when you are ready to buy, and if you do it online, here are some sites you should check out: www.thezeb.com www.audio-n-more.com www.woofersetc.com www.sounddomain.com

When I was looking at different audio stores I just happened to find a shop where the owner was also a viper owner! He drives an rt/10. Mine is a gts so it would be a little easier to add the subs. I knew that was the place for me. I knew they would handle my car with respect and that was priceless. Did get some good deals on top quality equipment and installation from them as well. I was able to listen to his car and went with the same components mostly. 5.25" eclipse seperates up front and 6.5" eclipse point source(coax) in the rear. The point to all this is....find a shop you can trust with your pride and joy and go from there. If you want to try to tackle it yourself use the sites I listed above as a good starting point.

Burn, I would also love to see the pics of your install. I have mine showcased at the link in my signature. You should build a page there as well. It is free and a nice community of audio enthusiasts! Worth a look at any rate.

Regards,
Brian

GaryA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Daffy,

I just had a new stereo system put in my 2000 Black/Black RT/10. As a matter of fact, I live real close to you and would be happy to show it to you. My system is awesome and includes the following:

Kenwood Excelon CD Head Unit
Kenwood Excelon 4 x 75W Amplifier (in trunk)
Kenwood 10 CD Changer (in trunk)
Kenwood Tube Subwoofer (in trunk)
Polk MOMO Components in factory door locations
Polk MOMO Mid-Range Crossed over as Mono mid-range mounted in the factory sub-woofer location
Polk MOMO tweeters embedded in columns behind driver and passenger seats

I don't have pictures yet, but will post them here soon. The system is so clear and has so much power that I achieve great sound (read LOUD) that is crystal clear. More importantly, my RT/10 is also a Hennessey Venom 650 and if you've ever heard the exhaust on one of these cars, you'd understand why extra power in the stereo is important. The installation was done by Auto Radio Center in Rockville, MD and they did an amazing custom install.

Give me a shout if you'd like to check it out sometime.

Gary

Prashant

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The way to go is
Alpine 800 screen
PPI Amps
Alpine VCR
Alpine DVD
Alpine EQ
Boston's in the Doors
and Kicker freeair's subs between the seats.
the Stereo shop here in Houston put most of this in the trunk and made it so the soft top still fits!!!. in the front, around the shifter area they put in phoneJack outlet for the Valintine1 and then molded the alpline remote buttons in to the ashtray area. pick speakers by what you jam to. I suggest Diamond speakers for heavy music.

Jon-Mike

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As has been said numerous times above - it depends what you want! On my 94 RT10, I wanted great sound at an economical price
You must be registered for see images
. PIece by piece, I had replaced the headunit, the stock speakers (with same sizes, just aftermarket units) and installed 2 Sony speakers.

All I was lacking was bass - not the pounding rap bass, just good tight clean bass. I decided to install a 8" Bazooka bass tube in the passenger footwell (and one in the trunk for grins since they were on sale). It was one of the best decisions I have made. The sound is amazing - even with the top off. Sure I have lost some passenger footwell space, but I prob drive 80% of the time by myself anyway. The great thing is that passnegers still have no problem getting in and out and I really haven't had anyone complain. Also, it so easily comes out (2 straps and 2 wires) that I will have no problems doing so if needed.

Good Luck...

Kurt 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To All,

I had the pleasure of seeing and hearing Brian's set-up in Hot Springs last year and simply put, it is SWEET!!!!

Brian Denham

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The stock system should have 6.5" woofers in the doors and a set of 1" tweeters by the handle. In mine, the 6.5" aftermarket speakers would not fit without modification of the holes. I went with 5.25" and it was perfect. The speakers in your center should be 6.5" as well. Actually the guy who did mine is installing a single 10" woofer in the center of his rt/10. He is having to remove the stock one and building a custom piece just big enough to hold the woofer. That is probably going to cost a pretty penny I bet. Trust me, the stock speakers are crap! They may tote the alpine name, but it is just alpine made for chrysler. If you went to a store and compared the stuff in the car to regular alpine you would see the difference easily. I also agree that eventually you will need to replace all the equipment to get the best sound. You can do it in stages if you are on a budget. The store I went to gave me great prices on all my new stuff because I was getting it all together though. Just something else to think about. Once you change out only the speakers, you will want to do everthing else as well!
It's quite addictive!

Kurt, thanks man
Glad you liked it! Hope to see you again in Shreveport this May.

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Here's a custom install I did in one of my cars. It took about two months and way more money than I want to say. I eventually ripped it out and sold the parts to have my trunk back. I plan on doing one in the viper soon.
"]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1146925&a=8424020&f=0[/img][/url]

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
oops! let me try this again..

"]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1146925&a=8424020&p=29122187&Sequence=0&res=high[/img][/url]
"]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1146925&a=8424020&p=29122191&Sequence=0&res=high[/img][/url]
"]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1146925&a=8424020&p=29122192&Sequence=0&res=high[/img][/url]
"]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1146925&a=8424020&p=29121811&Sequence=0&res=high[/img][/url]
"]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1146925&a=8424020&p=29121806&Sequence=0&res=high[/img][/url]

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
oops! let me try this again..

"]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1146925&a=8424020&p=29122187&Sequence=0&res=high[/img][/url]

"]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1146925&a=8424020&p=29122191&Sequence=0&res=high[/img][/url]

"]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1146925&a=8424020&p=29122192&Sequence=0&res=high[/img][/url]

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
RMF, Good Questions. Car Stereos have heavily been my hobby for years and years. Used to have a car stereo and when I put in a sound effects disc w/ a chopper landing and a jet landing , ppl would come out of the houses BLOCKS away and look up! Too Funny..

Anyways... Speakers are PART of the battle. Each unit is a part of the battle. If you upgrade the drivers ( I presume you mean speakers?) Then the stock amps will not use them efficiently. The stock amps are ok, but there are much CLEANER and more POWERFUL amps out there. A dirty (distortion) amp will push distortion and weak sound thru great speakers and great amps will push great sound thru crappy speakers. Pick a happy medium and you'll get great sound. If you just upgrade speakers, you won't be pushing anymore power,etc to them and it will sound about the same. Same goes for amps. You'll notice a little, but not much.
If you're worried about your budget get a NICE head unit (any nice major name brand) and then get some mid range quality amps and speakers. SHouldn't run you more than a grand. You can also get 1 amp (4 channel to run ALL the speakers, provided you don't have a sub) to run all the speakers but make sure it has seperate gains for front and rear channels (for your tweeters and door speakers , then rear speaker (s) )

Good Luck
Gerald

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
booth