RT/10 trunk--observations & questions

GTS21

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I finally decided to try to remove the soft top from my trunk today. I figured I'd probably never use it and I'd like to have some trunk space. It DOES NOT want to come out of the trunk!! I've watched the video behind the driver seat, read the owners manual, and searched for older posts. I've attempted to remove the right side first, but the thing seems to be larger than the trunk opening. Any ideas? Also, should I be overly concerned about denting the body panels from the inside out when trying to remove the soft top--there doesn't seem to be much protecting the body panel on the left side particularly (where the cut-out is)?

If I ever manage to remove the soft top, I'd like to get a trunk mat for a more finished look. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks, Eric

P.s.--looking forward to finally driving my 2002 Graphite/Connelly RT/10. I've put a total of 0 miles on it since it was delivered in early December.

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Haha... I had the same problem with my soft top! I took it out, since I figured I wouldn't need it with the hard top on. You have the right idea... take out the right side first. Make sure that everything is clear on the left side. I had some odds and ends in the little crevice that prevented me from sliding the top completely to the left. Be patient, and try to work a good "diagonal" removal. It DOES come out!

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As far as the trunk mat, I got mine from Precision Pro-formance. Nice, rugid, made with beautiful plush logo.

adam

Adam,

Did you get an RT 10 trunk mat? I've never seen them before... I've only seen them for the GTS. I'd love to get one for the RT 10!

OP
OP
G

GTS21

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How tough are the body panels on this car? Should I be worried about denting the panel from the inside when I move the soft top to the far left to remove it? Thanks again, Eric

BADVENOM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As far as the trunk mat, I got mine from Precision Pro-formance. Nice, rugid, made with beautiful plush logo.

adam

Adam,

Did you get an RT 10 trunk mat? I've never seen them before... I've only seen them for the GTS. I'd love to get one for the RT 10!

It was a rt/10 trunk pad. I also got the floor mats to match.

adam ;)

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Adam - Any pics of the trunk mat? Yes, poser mod... but who cares :)

GTS21 - I don't know how strong the body panels are, but you should NOT have to hit them from the inside that hard when removing the soft top! The top should come out easily, when you get the right angle for it...

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a trunk mat from the California club. Nice overall. Much better than the unfinished look originally.

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GTS21,
When i first got mine i had the same problem.
You have to be careful not to hit the amp with the softop which is located on the left side.
so, put you had on the left end. make sure it doesnt get hung up on the amp and then the top bag
should just clear the opening on the right.

It just take a little practice.
good luck
Jim

Vipersrule

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good - it's not just me....... I had this problem the first few times, but works just fine by making sure the left end has cleared the amp and all the way to the "left" - then the right side comes right out.....

The first couple of times - I thought I was crazy, I knew it went "into" the trunk - so it had to come out...... :p

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How do those trunk mats work - do they fit under or over the spare? If over, (1) how wide are they and (2) how much of a pain in asss would it be to access underneath it, either for small stored stuff or for the tire itself? And finally, post some d@mned pics or at least links to pics!

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How do those trunk mats work - do they fit under or over the spare? If over, (1) how wide are they and (2) how much of a pain in asss would it be to access underneath it, either for small stored stuff or for the tire itself? And finally, post some d@mned pics or at least links to pics!
The trunk mat simply fits over the spare tire and extends out over the side panels to the sides of the car. They are made to cover the entire trunk area - sort of form a continous shelf out into the cars "hips". It is difficult to get underneath since the mat fits snugly. It can be done by lifting the edge of the mat nearest to the locking mech...but the material is pretty think so it's NOT something you'd want to do every day.

Here's the precise link
http://www.precisionproformance.com/interiors.htm

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Axial32