sad news...viper plant shuttered until end June.

09 Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In the price range the GEN 5 now ocupys the car MUST have it all to succeed .Horsepower sells ,when a 70 k Mustang Cobra outpowers a Viper costing twice as much red flags go up .Tech features sell cars .When EVERY other car in the Gen 5 price strata incorporates features such as mid engines ,carb fiber brakes,dry sump oiling, -alum frame ,7 speed paddle ship trannys and the Gen 5 DOES NOT red flags go up Service and dealer experiance sells cars .Pull into a Lexus ,Porsche-Audi or ANY OTHER MANU that sells cars iin the Gen 5 price range and compare the customer service aspect with that of a Dodge dealership (Does McDonalds try to sell steaks )When a car is priced in the 75k range a manu can get away with things that they cant get away with in the 100-150 k range .The Gen 4 sold terribly in the 90 k range so Dodge gave it 40 hp ,a nicer interior and a few body panels and expected it to sell at 100-150 are you kidding me Dodge wants the car to sell thats an easy fix dro the price to a range indicitive to where it should be 75 k for a loaded GTS and 65 k for the SRT.
C'mon!! I believe my Gen III even stickered around 84K! Since most '*********" Viper owners supposedly would buy the base SRT I don't think 100k is unreasonable for everything the new Viper has to offer.

Free2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's simple. When I saw my Gen 2 (and damn it I know it's old and rickety) I got this tingling feeling. The common sense and rationality department of my brain shut down completely. I had to have it and I made it happen. I firmly believe SRT will sharpen things up and take another crack at blowing our minds away.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Price isn't the issue. The people that complained it was too expensive were simply full of it. They'd quote an optioned out GTS at $140,000 when an SRT could be had for $100,000. Now that you can find new SRTs in the $85,000 range - the people claiming it was price simply have no idea what they are talking about.

The "I'll buy one when it hits $XYZ" either have done it (a few have) or could never afford it as is.

The Viper has always been in the mid-$90 range when you account for what the dollar is worth now. If "Dealer experience" didn't bother people that bought Vipers then, it shouldn't bother them now. Sure I can see why cross shoppers would and could care, but people old to the brand shouldn't bother.

The car has always been expensive, I am not sure why people actually think it was ever "affordable"

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The economy has been lousy since 08. There are people, who rather than face the change in their own economic circumstances, find it easier to pan a product that they probably really want but cannot afford; and/or, are fearful of buying because of future economic uncertainty. It is too painful for them to realize and accept the fact that the person who bought whatever prior generation they bought new, from an economic point of view, no longer exists.

MbnViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Price isn't the issue. The people that complained it was too expensive were simply full of it. They'd quote an optioned out GTS at $140,000 when an SRT could be had for $100,000. Now that you can find new SRTs in the $85,000 range - the people claiming it was price simply have no idea what they are talking about.

The "I'll buy one when it hits $XYZ" either have done it (a few have) or could never afford it as is.

The Viper has always been in the mid-$90 range when you account for what the dollar is worth now. If "Dealer experience" didn't bother people that bought Vipers then, it shouldn't bother them now. Sure I can see why cross shoppers would and could care, but people old to the brand shouldn't bother.

The car has always been expensive, I am not sure why people actually think it was ever "affordable"

Finally some common sense !

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just to clarify my post #64 above, I am in no way saying: "Let them eat Mustang or base Vette". Merely pointing out the difficulty that some have in accepting changed economic circumstances.

The term "expensive" has a subjective component. An honest comparison ( key word being "honest") among the Gen V Viper, the base Vette and the GT 500 Mustang, when all of the variables ( performance on a road course, interior, design, exclusivity, general coolness, etc.) are taken into consideration, easily shows that the comparison is a false comparison since the Gen V is, on an overall basis, a far superior vehicle.

The new Z06 does not exist yet for sale to the public so a comparison is not even possible. Just alot of hot air and "I know someone who says ...." moving through a key board. But we do know that the new Camaro Z28 starts at $75,000.00 so anyone who thinks the base model Z06 is going to be less than say $85,000.00 or so is probbaly delusional. And that price will be for a car that will look very much like the mass produced version. If exclusivity is important to someone, the Z06, once available, will also be a false comparison.

I think that it is probably best to just ignore those who have not driven the Gen V who make allegedly knowledgable negative comments about it. They really do not have a clue as to what they are writing/talking about.

Last edited:

Bruce H.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If "Dealer experience" didn't bother people that bought Vipers then, it shouldn't bother them now. Sure I can see why cross shoppers would and could care, but people old to the brand shouldn't bother.

I believe this is the single biggest problem for cross-shoppers when going in to the dealer to look at one, based on the countless showroom stories of poor treatment at many dealers. Hearing that, I prepared for the worst, managed to make my purchase decision based on this forum owner's feedback and media reviews without the need to sit in or test drive the car, and contacted only those at dealerships I had been referred to by members here. I removed the "Dealer Experience" from the purchase decision, and removed it from the servicing decision as well having received poor service at a high-end dealership also (but had received good reports about more than one dealer service in my area). I was not going to let the prospect of poor dealership showroom and service prevent me from owning the car of my dreams.

But how many cross-shoppers looking to spend north of $100k are going to be that determined...1 in 10 maybe? 1 in 20? We've also seen current Viper owners poorly treated and put off from buying one. Combine that with the poor initial reviews that would have been the first exposure to the Viper for the car buying public and you need look no further to account for the poor sales. There's a long, long list of gripes that some Viper owners have, which SRT probably predicted. I suspect they realized that addressing all those was just not possible when taking the car in the direction they felt it had to go. Lots of previous Viper owners and cross shoppers got what they wanted in the Gen V...and it even exceeded their expectations!

SRT needs positive media coverage, get butts into seats at every opportunity, and improve the dealer experience. That will make it a success...and that will provide the funds to develop it further to make it appeal to a broader market if SRT wants and needs to.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe this is the single biggest problem for cross-shoppers when going in to the dealer to look at one, based on the countless showroom stories of poor treatment at many dealers. Hearing that, I prepared for the worst, managed to make my purchase decision based on this forum owner's feedback and media reviews without the need to sit in or test drive the car, and contacted only those at dealerships I had been referred to by members here. I removed the "Dealer Experience" from the purchase decision, and removed it from the servicing decision as well having received poor service at a high-end dealership also (but had received good reports about more than one dealer service in my area). I was not going to let the prospect of poor dealership showroom and service prevent me from owning the car of my dreams.

But how many cross-shoppers looking to spend north of $100k are going to be that determined...1 in 10 maybe? 1 in 20? We've also seen current Viper owners poorly treated and put off from buying one. Combine that with the poor initial reviews that would have been the first exposure to the Viper for the car buying public and you need look no further to account for the poor sales. There's a long, long list of gripes that some Viper owners have, which SRT probably predicted. I suspect they realized that addressing all those was just not possible when taking the car in the direction they felt it had to go. Lots of previous Viper owners and cross shoppers got what they wanted in the Gen V...and it even exceeded their expectations!

SRT needs positive media coverage, get butts into seats at every opportunity, and improve the dealer experience. That will make it a success...and that will provide the funds to develop it further to make it appeal to a broader market if SRT wants and needs to.

Bruce I agree. I had two efforts to buy one locally (ordering custom) before orders opened. I put my name down and told them I wanted to buy. Once orders rolled around, I heard nothing back from either. Thankfully I was also in line at Tomball and got exactly what I wanted. Both dealers are still sitting on their initial orders (both had $20-50k ADMs as well)

The fact that people who want to buy one met such issues trying to buy one is indicative of the bigger issues. Failure to allow test drives (Which SRT is combatting with the Drive events), dealers who know nothing about the car, ADMs initially, all haven't helped sell the car.

Hopefully SRTs new efforts will help. I think SRT rolling out a "referral" program for Gen V owners who get another person to buy may spur sales as well. How about $2500 cash at MOPAR for accessories if you can get someone else to buy?

steve e

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The dealer treatment and experience with the Dodge dealers in NJ ***** eggs,:mad: had to have my Vipers shipped from Woodhouse, who is great, but how sad is that.:usa:

Bruce H.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How about $2500 cash at MOPAR for accessories if you can get someone else to buy?

I'll refer anyone I know that I think would like the car anyways, but any form of a "thank you" would be a nice gesture of appreciation if he bought. Happy and enthusiastic customers generate referrals among friends all by themselves. If you're referring to a dealer directing a prospective customer to an existing owner to help sell him on the car then that's different, and somewhat of a conflict actually if a strong incentive is involved. I'd be happy to do that just to help a fellow enthusiast find his perfect ride, and if the Viper were right for him then great...I helped him and my dealer! Good to have a friend at the dealer, and again, any form of a thank you would be nice. $2500 seems like a lot to me though for something I'd gladly do anyways, even with a perfect stranger.

Bruce H.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The dealer treatment and experience with the Dodge dealers in NJ ***** eggs,:mad: had to have my Vipers shipped from Woodhouse, who is great, but how sad is that.:usa:
That is sad, and lucky for you that you knew where to go. Most prospective buyers might be done with shopping for a VIPER before they barely get started...perhaps buying nothing at all.

Flying Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At this point in time close to two-thirds of EVERY GEN 5 BUILT remain on dealers lots (500 SOLD 900 IN INVENTORY )At the current sales pace theres enough cars to last well over 1 year .Guys (for the thousandth time )this is a business accordingly no dealer is going to order more inventory (put on floorplan )if they cant possibly sell whats on hand .The car at the pricepoint it occupys was doomed from the start as it was underpowered ,underteched and WAY WAY OVERPRICED. .

Got to agree 100% with you 1Bad. Plus a design that looks like a car they produced 17 years ago. I wanted something new not a redo.

BlueLIGHTNING

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My question is "why would anyone buy a new viper off the showroom floor???" I've had 3 generations now and will eventually buy a GEN V but in the used market for a hell of a lot less. You still can find 18 year old vipers with next to nothing mileage and we all know these engines are overbuilt. Like any other toy eventually something better comes along and you're bored of your car so you move on. There is no shortage of Vipers in the used market, so if you are in no rush you can get your GEN V for 1/2 price with very little mileage. Everyone knows this so why rush and buy???

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The car is far from a "redo". The comment indicates that you have not driven one. And, as far as "looking like", if you actually get an in person view of the cars side by side, they are quite different. Are there some design cues in commom? Yes. But that has worked for the Prsche 911 and other brands for decades. A Viper has to have some design cues to identify it as a Viper. Underpowered? Once again, drive it near its limits and then comment. Most people would not have the ****** to drive one anywhere near its limits. 640 naturally aspirated HP is more than adequate for a car intended as a streetable road course car.

The overpriced allegation is pure BS. The base model SRT is a bargain for what you get. It is not SRT's fault that a bunch of ignorant dealers made the mistake of ordering cars maxed out with options when any resonably intelligent person knows that the average Viper buyer wants to order a car "his way" at that price level.

Stealth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most of these post just miss the point. Dealer mistakes in ordering or customer treatment have nothing to do with massive lost sales. The car is the car and that is what we focus on. It is always possible to find a good dealer to work with--for example, the Forum dealers. Similarly, lack of $$$$ by existing Viper owners is also not the problem.

Failure to build a Gen V that blew everyone's socks off is the problem. This evident in styling--Gen II--and horsepower--40hp more than Gen IV.

As long as the car can be purchased for $120k or so, the price is also not the problem. My Gen IV, which I purchased new, was just under $100k. It has Arrow ported intake and Corsas and should be at least within 20 crank hp of the Gen V; so power-wise there is no night and day difference. This has been demonstrated by lap times and dynos thus far.

Without question, the Gen V is the best Viper ever. (Those of you sensitive Gen V owners, please re-read that statement so there is no confusion.) At current prices the Gen V is actually becoming a value, especially for those purchasing their first Viper. Most all on this board are loyal fans of the Viper--we want it to live and prosper. We just hope that SRT considers some of the input provided in shaping future models. We also want it to dominate the competition--this is the essence of the Viper.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stealth. Have you driven a Gen V? If so, was it more than just a calm 30 MPH - 55 MPH test drive? The Gen V is quite different in all respects. I traded a 685 RWHP supercharged Gen III in toward it. I have not been disappointed. The Gen V is an entirely different level of car with respect to fit, finish and refinement. No flame intended but the Gen I, II, III and IV are great cars but they are just not in the same league.

emericr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, it is sad the see SRT is struggling as the Viper is an icon but SRT failed miserably at attracting buyers like me.
I was in the market a year ago for a daily driver. I am fully aware I was cross shopping vehicles but my list included the Gen V Viper, Used AM Vantage, new CLS63, M6 GC, F Type and used Panamera TT, 911TT or Audi R8 V10.
I went to the local dealer and advised I was interested but needed to test drive the car. I never got a call back to this date. I did go back there a few times when they had one in inventory but it was off limits to drive it. Still no one called me back to gauge my interest.
I got chastised on the forum and called a troll when comparing vehicles and to think that a 4door AMG could have the performance of a Gen V viper. I am running 11.2 at 129mph with just a tune with my CLS.
SRT failed to grab my dollars (I ended up spending GTS money) mainly because it does not know how to attract my breed. Even if the AMG was not available at the dealer, they gave me the numbers of a few local owners that gave me their feedback of their experience and let me drive their cars. I was able to custom order my vehicle (including a matte paint), got a reasonable discount over MSRP, got involved with the AMG track rats thru the AMG program (1st day was free). Jaguar, BMW, Audi offer similar programs, their service is top notch and they make you feel special if and when you go visit them.
The final issues with the Viper were that it cannot be tampered with, no DCT, and no matte paint (at the time I ordered) and no forum help (I strongly believe driving the car would have made me love the car and made my decision harder, but I was told to F off).
Last but not least, the history has repeated itself that Gen Vs are now selling at around 15 to 20% discount. For people like me that keep a car within its warranty period, that is a deal killer.
The current Gen V is a great car but no more wow factor like the Gen 1. I will give you an example of WOW: rumored new GTR will be a hybrid with 850hp ala Porsche 918 / McLaren P1.
I still hope that the Viper lives on but it needs to do some serious soul searching.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe the Gen V is in most ways the finest Viper ever to come out of the Conner plant. It it the most powerful, best handling, smoothest riding, biggest tire'd, best braked, smoothest running, quietest, best shifting, best geared, most up to date styling (with links to the past).

It is the finest constructed, made of the lightest body panels ever (carbon fiber and aluminum). It has an engine with upgraded (forged) internals, the fastest and most powerful computer ever. It is the strongest, with the least flex, and incorportates an up level cross bracing system to keep the tires even better planted.

It has the most torque of any naturally aspirated production engine in the world, as well as one of the highest power to weight sports cars available for anywhere near the price. The paint is world class, and even the racing stripes are clear coated to give a edge free feeling and look to the details. (no tape here guys).

It has some of the finest wheel options ever, and comes in SRT, Carbon, GTS, T/A and other packages.

The car's price is simply unbeatable, with cars available well under the $100,000 price point. The ballyhooed Vette is cheaper, but down 150 hp, (hp of a stock 1996 Viper Coupe) and weighs significantly more. Does not offer near the connected driving experience available in the DNA of every viper since 1992

The Viper offers a far less expensive total cost of ownership than the foreign brands (with Fiat, still think of it as "Made in Detroit").

Our Vipers tend to be some of the most customized cars on the planet. (Like Harleys) Owners make a personal connection with them and want to make them their own. I would bet there are more Viper tatoos on owners of Vipers than any other vehicle. Never saw a lamborgini tattoo in my life. (might be some out there though).

Since the beginning of production, Viper owners have gathered somewhere on the planet every two years to celebrate the Viper lifestyle. They come together for fellowship, some racing and to experience their cars on the motorsports venues they were designed for.

Not sure where all this negative vibe is come from regarding the Gen V Viper. Some people do not realize how good they have got it.

Now I understand that some people really love the Viper they own, but that is cool. There is no reason to get defensive about it. Just embrace the basic Viperness of the car, and enjoy the one you have. We all know that the best Viper in the world is the one in your garage, not the one in the dealership showroom, but once you take one home, it becomes your pride and joy, and should not be subject to the derision of those owning something else.

emericr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paul: you compare the Gen V to the previous Gens. It'd better be better in all aspects...
There are not enough of the ********* Viper owners to make SRT continue and it needs to attract more buyers. Most of those owners are so defensive that they rub the newbies like me the wrong way.
Most exotic brands are having record years (Ferrari, Lambo, Maserati, Aston Martin, you will notice that I compare SRT to these brands) and SRT is closing shops because dealers can't sell their inventory. If this is not a negative vibe in your dictionary, then I am not sure what is.

Last edited:

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most of these post just miss the point. Dealer mistakes in ordering or customer treatment have nothing to do with massive lost sales. The car is the car and that is what we focus on. It is always possible to find a good dealer to work with--for example, the Forum dealers. Similarly, lack of $$$$ by existing Viper owners is also not the problem.

Failure to build a Gen V that blew everyone's socks off is the problem. This evident in styling--Gen II--and horsepower--40hp more than Gen IV.

As long as the car can be purchased for $120k or so, the price is also not the problem. My Gen IV, which I purchased new, was just under $100k. It has Arrow ported intake and Corsas and should be at least within 20 crank hp of the Gen V; so power-wise there is no night and day difference. This has been demonstrated by lap times and dynos thus far.

Without question, the Gen V is the best Viper ever. (Those of you sensitive Gen V owners, please re-read that statement so there is no confusion.) At current prices the Gen V is actually becoming a value, especially for those purchasing their first Viper. Most all on this board are loyal fans of the Viper--we want it to live and prosper. We just hope that SRT considers some of the input provided in shaping future models. We also want it to dominate the competition--this is the essence of the Viper.
Sorry, I disagree whole heartedly.

Spending $100k+ shouldn't be a challenge. People shouldn't need to find dealers that are willing to sell them the car. Dealers should be more than accommodating.

It is preposterous to assume the buyer should be doing the leg work to get into a car. Had I not really wanted one and been a casual buyer, I would have passed having the issues I did. Not everyone is as passionate about getting a Viper as many, the sale needs to be earned. I passed on a GT-R and a RS5 because I couldn't even sit in them.

With the options out there in 2014, dealers can't assume people will beat down the door to buy one, they have to go beyond tactics used to sell Darts.

VRYALT3R3D

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went to the local dealer and advised I was interested but needed to test drive the car. I never got a call back to this date. I did go back there a few times when they had one in inventory but it was off limits to drive it. Still no one called me back to gauge my interest.

You only went to one SRT dealer? You didn't shop around?

emericr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you want top notch service from your local dealer, you need to buy the car from him. I am not going to drive 50 miles to Fort Myers or 120 to Fort Lauderdale to test drive a vehicle especially when the local competition can lend me a used Aston for a night.
I expect the local dealer to be able to call me and let me test drive it for 20 minutes. I waited 4 months before making my decision and still waiting for a call back.
To give you an example of how other brands do it. The new Lambo Hurican was here for a week and available to test drive to the local well off people that own exotics (I am not one of them). That car and a few others are going from town to town for people to test drive and get them excited about it. May be I missed it but Viper did not do that or if it did, it should have asked their dealers who was interested. I was on the list more than a year ago...

You only went to one SRT dealer? You didn't shop around?

HANKFAN

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Our Vipers tend to be some of the most customized cars on the planet. (Like Harleys) Owners make a personal connection with them and want to make them their own.

Exactly and how can you make it your own when you can't even tune the car?? Your had better be in love with the way the car performs right off the showroom floor because as of today there are virtually no performance mods for the Gen V. And from the way it looks there isn't going to be any on the market anytime soon.

Last edited:

emericr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
. Porsche allows the customer to customize everything down to the color of the seatbelt and charge the hell out of it. Porsche made $23K net profit for the VW group in 2013. SRT went the other direction and there are actually very few items you can customize from the factory.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you want top notch service from your local dealer, you need to buy the car from him..

Hi. I bought my first two Vipers from out of town dealerships and have not found that to be the case. The important factor for me has been whether or not the dealer has an experienced Viper tech. Dealers want your service business. The smart ones know that if they treat you right eventually you will buy something from them. Any dealer that would not give you top notch service on a Gen V bought from another dealer should be reported to SRT. That type of behavior surely flys in the face of the terms of their franchise agreement.

VRYALT3R3D

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you want top notch service from your local dealer, you need to buy the car from him.

No you don't! Your warranty is valid at any SRT dealer. I never heard of a dealer, any brand, refusing warranty work because you didn't buy the car from them. No one ever asks me where I bought the car.

I am not going to drive 50 miles to Fort Myers or 120 to Fort Lauderdale to test drive a vehicle especially when the local competition can lend me a used Aston for a night.

So you would have been willing to pay more for the Viper and purchase it from THAT dealer if they let you drive it and sit in it? Personally, I would have drove a hour to find a dealer that would let me test drive it, ask fow much they want for the Viper..and then shop around.

To give you an example of how other brands do it. The new Lambo Hurican was here for a week and available to test drive to the local well off people that own exotics (I am not one of them). That car and a few others are going from town to town for people to test drive and get them excited about it. May be I missed it but Viper did not do that or if it did, it should have asked their dealers who was interested. I was on the list more than a year ago...

I had no problem getting a test drive. But of course, this varies dealer to dealer. I found that talking to the sales manager in advance, rather then just walzting in and asking a salesman, makes test driving it much easier.

Last edited:

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It really is not that we are defensive. It is that we are fed up with people making non helpful negative posts about the Gen V on the Gen V subforum that in no way help those interested in the Gen V enjoy the car. It is particularly irritating that a significant number of those posts, if not all of them, are made by people who have not driven the car and/or cannot afford to buy it.

The Gen V is not for everybody just like all of the other cars you mentioned in post 77 above are not for everybody. In fact the cars you listed are in a number of different categories. You mix apples, oranges, plums and carrots. Measuring the Gen V by quarter mile performance when its intended operational environment is a road course is just one of the many repeated themes that, to be frank, is irritating and off point.

I have no idea why so many self proclaimed Viper supporters have bashed the Gen V without even having driven the car. It is very peculiar behavior to do so and claim to support SRT and The Viper while doing so.

The car is a magnificent creation by SRT. I wish that those who have nothing positive to contribute to this sub forum would take their negativity elsewhere.

As experince with the Gen V increases I am hopeful that we will see more and more informative and helpful posts here that contribute toward the greater enjoyment of the car.

Paul: you compare the Gen V to the previous Gens. It'd better be better in all aspects...
There are not enough of the ********* Viper owners to make SRT continue and it needs to attract more buyers. Most of those owners are so defensive that they rub the newbies like me the wrong way.
Most exotic brands are having record years (Ferrari, Lambo, Maserati, Aston Martin, you will notice that I compare SRT to these brands) and SRT is closing shops because dealers can't sell their inventory. If this is not a negative vibe in your dictionary, then I am not sure what is.

Last edited:

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My question is "why would anyone buy a new viper off the showroom floor???" I've had 3 generations now and will eventually buy a GEN V but in the used market for a hell of a lot less. You still can find 18 year old vipers with next to nothing mileage and we all know these engines are overbuilt. Like any other toy eventually something better comes along and you're bored of your car so you move on. There is no shortage of Vipers in the used market, so if you are in no rush you can get your GEN V for 1/2 price with very little mileage. Everyone knows this so why rush and buy???

The same could be said for nearly any purchase whether it be cloths, a bicycle, toys for your kids, a TV, ect...

If you have the disposable money and want to buy something new then I don't see a problem with that.
If you go broke buying something new that you can barely afford then I don't have a problem with that.
If you are rich & frugal and like the value of used products then I don't have a problem with that.
If you are low income but know how to make your money look like your a baller by buying nice stuff used then I don't have a problem with that.

Everyone's situation is different.

BlueL, what are you gonna go knocking on P.Diddy's door to ask him why he bought a brand new Viper when there is a new McLaren & Bentley sitting on either side of it? That'd be silly. Some people just have that Chedda and can do whatever they want with it ;)

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images

09 Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, it is sad the see SRT is struggling as the Viper is an icon but SRT failed miserably at attracting buyers like me.
I was in the market a year ago for a daily driver. I am fully aware I was cross shopping vehicles but my list included the Gen V Viper, Used AM Vantage, new CLS63, M6 GC, F Type and used Panamera TT, 911TT or Audi R8 V10.
I got chastised on the forum and called a troll when comparing vehicles and to think that a 4door AMG could have the performance of a Gen V viper. I am running 11.2 at 129mph with just a tune with my CLS.
SRT failed to grab my dollars (I ended up spending GTS money) mainly because it does not know how to attract my breed. Even if the AMG was not available at the dealer, they gave me the numbers of a few local owners that gave me their feedback of their experience and let me drive their cars. I was able to custom order my vehicle (including a matte paint), got a reasonable discount over MSRP, got involved with the AMG track rats thru the AMG program (1st day was free). Jaguar, BMW, Audi offer similar programs, their service is top notch and they make you feel special if and when you go visit them.
The final issues with the Viper were that it cannot be tampered with, no DCT, and no matte paint (at the time I ordered) and no forum help (I strongly believe driving the car would have made me love the car and made my decision harder, but I was told to F off).
Last but not least, the history has repeated itself that Gen Vs are now selling at around 15 to 20% discount. For people like me that keep a car within its warranty period, that is a deal killer.
The current Gen V is a great car but no more wow factor like the Gen 1. I will give you an example of WOW: rumored new GTR will be a hybrid with 850hp ala Porsche 918 / McLaren P1.
I still hope that the Viper lives on but it needs to do some serious soul searching.
No question AMG's are very fast in a straight line. I had one of the very first 2007 E63's with the 6.2 engine and ran 12.1 116 bone stock. but that is where the performance ends. I loved that car for a daily driver. But any Viper owner will tell you the Viper was not designed for straight line performance. We have that too, especially the new Gen V trapping 129 bone stock but it is the track where the new car shines.

Free2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
C'mon Bob...lol. You've modded and tinkered with all your cars. You know your salivating to slap a supercharger on your T/A. Doesn't it piss you off that you can't? And not everyone that smack talks the Gen 5 does so because they haven't driven one or can't afford one. Most everybody here loves the Viper and if there is something about the new model that gets their ******* in a *** they shouldn't be made to feel like a ****** bastard for voicing it.