Salesman wrecks a SRT while preping it for delivery.......

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, in the other thread someone posted a contemporary road test of an L-88 Vette. It did the quarter on it's BEST run at a whopping 13.56 @111!
I have a 96 C4 with 300hp auto. It's just an ordinary everyday car. I ran it a couple of runs, 13.8 best time.

The L-88 was powerful but it was not powerful enough to make the Vettes of the day anywhere near as fast as todays fast cars. Why would someone put a 4.56 gear in a 3000lb, 4 speed car if it had any torque? How fast would it go with a 4.56? 130 tops?
On top of that the C2-C3 didn't handle or stop worth a crap.
The 68 that ran at LeMans had nothing to do with Vettes that anyone ever drove anywhere else. Do you have any idea how much power it would take to run 212mph? No L-88 that any normal person ever had made that kind of power.
Much the same for the 18 race hemis. Race cars have nothing to do with what is sold to ordinary people.
So the myth of hot 60s/70s cars is just that, a myth.

Now since you were not comparing those old Vettes for performance, just for sound and starkness, I guess it wasn't a bad comparison.
When most folks see a comparison of performance cars, they usually think you might be comparing performance.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did anyone else notice that on the Vette site, only about 20% of the guys are literate enough to write anything. They seem to think that posting their selection of little cartoons will be of interest to others.

Am I just having a bad day or am I always this crabby?

Viperzilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You're from MD, it's all understanable. Maybe you're also getting the taste of them ***** in the water, or you've been eating too many.

Nexus-6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Of course anyone who doesn't own a Viper calls it a shoe - it's always kicking their @ss all over the place isn't it? :)

Joe - just having a bad day I think. ;)

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's ironic that they had a post on the Corvette Forum a couple months ago about a lacky who was pulling a new Corvette off of a transport truck, gave it too much gas, lost control, and totalled 9 cars! :eek:

The (ex)driver said in his own defense that the Corvette just had too much power to be safely driven. :eek:

-Dean.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mtoce1