San Diego Viper owners/autocrossers chime in.

IMSOSLO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jeff,

I make it out for autocrossing once in a while. However, Viperdays is the 7th and 8th so I will be heading to Buttonwillow that weekend. I like autocrossing but nothing beats the rush of running on a road course. I like showing the Gen IIs what an old slow Gen I can do. Just ask SoCal Rebel.
smile.gif
smile.gif

Maybe I will catch you at the next one.

Regards,

Ken

SoloIIRacer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would like to find out how many San Diego Viper owners are in here. I will be autocrossing our 02 yellow GTS hopefully at the next event on Sep 8th. Any other Viper owners in here planning on coming out for this event? I know there are 3 regular Vipers at our events, was wondering if they were on here, and if I can lure others out to play. Let's show SS what a Viper can do, or even SM2 or ASP, or even BP.

Jeff

Bad Asp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are 3 Vipers in the Chula Vista area, mine being one. We have a 2001 GTS- red W/ silver stripes. There is an RT in Eastlake and one in Bonita. Don't know who they are but I would like to meet them. Yes, I am interested in autocross, would be fun! Drop me an e-mail Jeff.

Bob W in CV

2charmed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bob,

Are you a Fireman? There's a REd/Silver GTS that shows up at the fire station just up the street from where I work. My last Viper was a Red/Silver GTS. (great color combo) I have a Sapphire/Silver ACR and I'm in Bonita/Chula Vista.

I'd be interested in the Sept. 8th event, where is it?

Thanks,

Steve

SSpeed Racer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ken I like the feeling of a GEN I when the rear end gets loose!!!!!LOL that spin to win thing is great in your car. When do you think I can do this again???

Oh by the way I am laying odds on you over SlowCAL at Buttonwillow. This should be a great battle between you too. I think the that who ever wins the loser need to buy dinner for the winner!!!!

Wonder if Craig wants any of that action..... Socal Craig any comments???

Bad Asp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jay,

Yes, I am the firefighter who works in Eastlake. I saw a red RT with Michigan plates a couple weeks ago driven by a rather attractive blondish lady. If thats you, then you're double lucky. I have a rather attractive blond wife. Blondes and Vipers seem to go together quite well! There is another RT in Bonita, the guy lives somewhere around Corral Canyon but I don't know where.

Bobbo

2charmed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bob,

I work at American Longevity, just down the street from
where you work. (the orange/peach building with all the flags
out front.

We need to get all the SD snakes together for a Sunday cruise to
Alpine for breakfast or something?

Regards,

Steve

Bad Asp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2charmed and Jriddle,

We oughta start a Southern SoCal VCA chapter. If you guys aren't in VCA, you should join. Great group! Not like PCA or Vette snobs. Very active group. I don't want to sound like a recruiter but it's lots of fun.

Bobbo

2charmed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bob,

Sheyster looked into a SD chapter of the VCA and decided against it. I'm a member of the SoCal VCA, but the events are usually to far North for me.

Steve

Bad Asp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve,

I know what you mean about too far north. But you know what they say, Half the fun is getting there!

Bob

Bad Asp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys,

When I wwas with PCASD we used the parking lot at Qualcomm Stadium for autocross events. Maybe we could see about that or maybe get invited to some other club's events. The Cobra Club is always talking about "hands across the sea" and the like. Maybe we could do something with them? Snake fight!!

Bob W

SoloIIRacer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The next event is at Qualcomm stadium in the large west lot, and it is being hosted by SDAD which is known for great courses.

If I work out wether or not I can run stock 17"s on my 2002 GTS, I will be running it in PAX as a SS car or a SM2/SU car. I have run a 96 RT/10 ASP Viper a bunch of times, and have always said how awesome it would do with ABS, now is the time to find out with our GTS.

It should be fun, lets get some SD Vipers out there. I have seen up to 6 at one time at our SCCA events, with 3 regulars: 2 GTS's and one RT/10, make that 4 regulars with 3 GTS's
smile.gif

If any of you are new and not sure what to do or where to go, feel free to talk to me. I have been autocrossing there since 1987, at the ripe old age of 16. So I can help with just getting started, to instructing you to become better drivers. I enjoy instructing, so don't feel shy. I will be in a yellow 2002 GTS with the number 6 on it, just in case there is more than one yellow GTS
smile.gif

Jeff

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey! If you guys want a get together, I say we have a party at 2charmed's (Steve's) house!!!
laugh.gif

Seriously though, we should get together for a cruise.

Bad Asp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Count me in! Schedule permitting, firefighters work weird hours.
Ulysses-sounds interesting about Qualcomm,How can I contact you?

Party at Steve's house? Breakfast run to Julian? Ramona? Pine Valley?
BobW

2charmed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Party at my house! As long as you don't mind screeming kids,
no problem.

Seriously, a get to gether would be great, several of us have done a weekend breakfast cruise to a great place in Alpine.
We should do it, you know before winter and the snow comes
smile.gif

Steve

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Ulysses-sounds interesting about Qualcomm,How can I contact you?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Bobbo,

you must mean that other Ulysses that goes by the name Jeff.
laugh.gif

I don't usually run the cones at Qualcomm. Though I have been known to squash a few of them.

Dale Craig

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Jeff,
I have been racing in San Diego (member of SDAD)since 1980. I will be there and run in ASP #384. Looking foreword to seeing you there. I can't wait to see how the 02 with ABS does. I have occasionally driven my wife's Z06 with ABS and the brakes are way better for autocross.
Dale

SoloIIRacer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Dale,

I was wondering if you were on here.

I am trying to get the GTS ready for the 8th, but I am being blocked around every turn. I am trying to get 17's so I can run Kumho's, but no one will answer my question for certain if they will fit without changing the rear brake line. I want to run the 17's locally, there is no way that I am going to buy Hoosiers at twice the price of Kumhos and they only last half as long.

It would be great to get a good Viper turn out on the 8th. It should be a great course, SDAD always does nice courses, especially on the west lot.

See you all there.

Jeff Cawthorne
San Diego

Dale Craig

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Jeff,
Didn't realize that this was Jeff Cawthorne! Most of us in San Diego know that Jeff is one of the fastest drives in autocross no matter what car he's in!
I use 17" front and rear with Purner (CCW) wheels. 17x13 rear and 17x12 in the front with Hoosiers. I don't have any problems with the brake lines (changed to ss). Yours being a 02 with ABS may be different. My wheels and tires are just setting in the garage, if you want, come on up and try them on. I also have a set of stock (18") wheels with no tires mounted.
I can't wait to see how you do in that 02. You should give the Z06's some real competition.
Dale

Dale Craig

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would like to try the Carlsbad Drags, haven't been on a drag strip since 1969.
Maybe Sheyster can give us (me) some pointers.
How many runs can we get in? I have heard that a lot of time is spent waiting in line.
Dale

Bad Asp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dale,

SoCal Viperes ran last month at Carlsbad.Rules don't allow RT's without hard tops, and they get mad if you run under 12 without 6points or roll bars.Go figure!

Bob W

Bad Asp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2charmed,

Lets put a breakfast cruise together. All the "hot shoes" are going to Willow Springs this weekend for track time. Saturday perhaps?

Bobbo

Dale Craig

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Bad,
Nice color combo! Of course I am a little biased!
I missed the SoCal event,was out of town.
My car is a GTS and I have the 5 point harness but I don't think I would get under 12 seconds. I haven't done this is years but I willing to give it a try.
Dale

2charmed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bob, I'm all for a breakfast cruise!
This Saturday is good for me, where to?

Anyone else?

It would be nice to get a bunch of us together at Carlsbad
on the 15th. I have taken my Z06 out there several times.
Vipers usually run in the low 12s very seldom below 12 unless
they have heavy mods or Nos.

Let me know about Saturday

2Charmed

Bad Asp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2charmed,

Let me check with the wife, she's a busy girl. Manages real estate Co in Eastlake.I'll get back to you for sure. Anybody else?

Bobbo

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rot8te