SAVE HOOSIER TIRES! **** government!

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why does the government always feel the need to step in? Firestone and/or Ford got sued. Sales and reps were hurt. The situation was remedied as well as possible.

True, the tires were defective and I know this will sound cold, but fewer than 100 people died and most likely because they panicked when the tires blew. The problem needed to be fixed but it wasn’t an epidemic. It doesn’t amount to a drop in the ocean compared to the number of people drunk drivers kill.

Most of us have probably been in similar situations. Stay cool, get off the gas and let the car come back under control or at the very least slow down before tapping the brakes.

What about the fact that they were all SUVs? Are the drivers of SUVs generally less skilled and more susceptible to panic than sports car drivers? I know, I know, many on this board drive SUVs, I said "generally". Would a sports car or even a sedan have had the same results? There has GOT to be similar situations with cars. Were they wearing their seat belts? Why didn't the balloons save their lives? How fast were they going anyway? Regardless, nobody deserves to die for it. Just wondering about some of these questions.

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR> Are the drivers of SUVs generally less skilled and more susceptible to panic than sports car drivers? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I notice a lot of SUV drivers (always exceptions) tend to be people how know very little about emergency driving. They tend to be family folk (a disproportionate amount of women) with almost no driver training outside of high school. When the right tire blows their first response is to drive away from the blowout...the rest is predictable.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR> Would a sports car or even a sedan have had the same results?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I remember reading somewhere that Kelsey Grammar (Phraser Krane) (My spelling ***** I know) flipped his Viper after tread separation. That's just rumor, I've also heard he was drunk. But yes it is possible.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR> How fast were they going anyway? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The newspapers up here said the ones in Florida that got all the media attention were driving over 90mph. I spun out in my Yukon at 50 (for fun) and I didn't get a hint of tip over ( I did, however, ruin a perfectly good pair of pants).

Tiepilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"The newspapers up here said the ones in Florida that got all the media attention were driving over 90mph."

IMHO, the majority of SUV drivers think they are piloting HI-Perf sport cars, it's amazing to watch them here in Atlanta. Only when something happens do they realize that they are driving TRUCKS, but then it's too late.

Tiepilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I sent in the form even though I'll never buy a tire from Hoosier as I don't race.
I think the guys that race shouldn't be screwed by the government's obvious "knee ****" reaction to this tire fiasco, nor should a company like Hoosier.

<FONT COLOR="#ff0000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by Tiepilot on 05-24-2002 at 04:38 PM</font>

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, thanks Daniel I guess you Supra guys are good for something
laugh.gif
, I submitted my form and urge everyone else to do so, his is an important matter for us racers!!!

AJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
submitted. this is ridiculous...

alex
02 gts
few other cars

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Done!
don't race my car but would like tires to be available if I did!!
the government can be just be regulation happy sometimes!
it makes me sick
puke.gif

JoeB

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Daniel,

Got mine in, added the less competition scenario= higher prices etc. Gov needs to stop regulating. Soon I will have Hoosiers.

Joe B

Rich Detert

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Done!

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm tired of the government trying to "Idiot proof" every product in the world.

If you do something stupid you pay the price for it, you don't blame someone else.
BURNOUT.gif

RobHook

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just for the record, Kelsey Grammer was drunk when he wrecked the Viper. His friends and family convinced him to check into the Betty Ford clinic a couple days later.

--Rob

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I sent one just to try to help keep the Gov off their back.
However....Isn't it true that the whole idea of having DOT tire requirements for various racing classes, was to keep the cost down? The idea was to force everyone in the class to race on street tires so you didn't have to spend the money on special track tires to be competitive. The idea that there is a DOT tire that isn't really a DOT tire and is a much better track tire, just forces everyone to buy it. What other reason for a DOT tire rule?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang