Scott Devon and $5.5M Bid for Viper

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No comments from the VCA national officers?
We have tried to throw in some general commentary where we can, but unfortunately we are under NDA with certain parties and don't want to jeopardize that by discussing anything that is not already public. I have mentioned the CAAP sale as a red herring (IMHO), and that is about all I can say at this point other than this: I am very, very optimistic about the Viper sale and am confident it will land with the right people at the right price. I lose sleep over just about everything else, but the sale of the Viper platform is the one thing on which I don't lose a wink. :2tu:

BruceW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The information on their site doesn't mention that this car is built on an ACR rolling chassis. That's the car that will be tested at the Ring this year. They currently have over 20 ACR's that will become their first model. I guess the original plan was to buy ACR's from Dodge and put their own body on them.

fastmd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We have tried to throw in some general commentary where we can, but unfortunately we are under NDA with certain parties and don't want to jeopardize that by discussing anything that is not already public. I have mentioned the CAAP sale as a red herring (IMHO), and that is about all I can say at this point other than this: I am very, very optimistic about the Viper sale and am confident it will land with the right people at the right price. I lose sleep over just about everything else, but the sale of the Viper platform is the one thing on which I don't lose a wink. :2tu:

Best statement this week:headbang:

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score

NDA hooey... you better tell me what you know, or the bunny gets it!
You must be registered for see images

I know... this is a recycled post, but if it's funny once... :D

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The information on their site doesn't mention that this car is built on an ACR rolling chassis. That's the car that will be tested at the Ring this year. They currently have over 20 ACR's that will become their first model. I guess the original plan was to buy ACR's from Dodge and put their own body on them.

So my previous post was not too far off? Just an acr with their own body kit? Hardly a fair claim to "Ring record".

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Patience is not an attribute of the average Viper owner/enthusiast, or?
:eater: :usa: :D

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So my previous post was not too far off? Just an acr with their own body kit? Hardly a fair claim to "Ring record".

Hmm - bought 20 ACRs for approx. $2 million... Now going to buy the whole company for $3.5 million more than that original buy. Let's see, which makes more sense - buy 55 ACRs or buy the whole company and get all you can eat :eater:

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So let's say Devon comes away with Viper by the end of the day. Who do I take my '08 to for warranty work?

2001-V10 Power Nut

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
[

We have tried to throw in some general commentary where we can, but unfortunately we are under NDA with certain parties and don't want to jeopardize that by discussing anything that is not already public. I have mentioned the CAAP sale as a red herring (IMHO), and that is about all I can say at this point other than this: I am very, very optimistic about the Viper sale and am confident it will land with the right people at the right price. I lose sleep over just about everything else, but the sale of the Viper platform is the one thing on which I don't lose a wink. :2tu:[/quote]

I like this, great way to say something, while saying nothing, sounds good to me:D

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing!

That's just to buy certain assets. Everyone is forgetting about operating dollars. It will take a lot more than 5.5 million dollars to launch a new Viper Motors LLC. I assume that unless they already own an existing facility that they are going to lease a facility. One thing for sure. They are not buying CAAP. So let's see:

Lease of premises
Equipment
Tooling
Tools
Payroll and related costs
R&D
Legal and accounting
Supply contracts
Licenses and permits
Advertising and marketing fees

Just to name a few general categories. I would guess that they will need at least 20 to 30 million dollars more to make a go of this venture and I am only guessing. So 5.5 million is not that cheap. For that, they are not getting an ongoing complete enterprise with CAAP. They are buying an opportunity to achieve automotive greatness. I am a bit surprised that if a deal is in the works that some of us have not been discreetly approached to see if we have any interest in investing.

Last edited:

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's just to buy certain assets. Everyone is forgetting about operating dollars. It will take a lot more than 5.5 million dollars to launch a new Viper Motors LLC. I assume that unless they already own an existing facility that they are going to lease a facility. One thing for sure. They are not buying CAAP. So let's see:

Lease of premises
Equipment
Tooling
Tools
Payroll and related costs
Legal and accounting
Supply contracts
Licenses and permits
Advertising and marketing fees

Just to name a few general categories. I would guess that they will need at least 20 to 30 million dollars more to make a go of this venture and I am only guessing. So 5.5 million is not that cheap. For that, they are not getting an ongoing complete enterprise with CAAP. They are buying an opportunity to achive automotive greatness. I am a bit surprised that if a deal is in the works that some of us have not been discreetly approached to see if we have any interest in investing.
Most likely those that have been approached are not talking... :quiet:

Tom Shapiro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
5.5MM, 10MM, 50MM OR 100MM is chump change in the big picture. Think about the billions that have been spent on GM & Chrysler so far. What ever they would get for the Viper brand won't mean a thing to the bottom line. So why sell it at all. If I were Fiat, I'd tuck Viper in my portfolio and bring it back in 3 to 5 years when value and sanity return to the market place. Is GM looking to sell Corvette or Camaro? Would Ford sell Mustang? Absolutely not. I would think that Ralph Gilles, Ferrari and Maserati could put their collective heads together and produce a car that would have you lusting to buy the new Viper Gen 5 super car.

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What do you guys think Devon would do with the viper? Would they cut it apart for their supercar, or produce it along side eachother?

Vypr Phil

Enthusiast
Reaction score
More about the designer of the Devon Concept Car here:

Paulin

Click on "VR Concept", there is an image gallery and six 3D animations.

For some reason, a see many design elements form the Panoz GTR in this concept.

Wondering if there is a connection between Panoz and Devon?

Phil