Scratching noise from transmission area

sassafras

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Car is a '96 GTS with 34K miles on it and as far as I can tell it is still on the original clutch. I've had a scratching(kinda like nails on chalkboard) / whirling sounds develop today from the transmission area from the best I can hear. Only happens when the car is in gear and gets worse the higher the RPM's climb. If I press in the clutch pedal the sound will slowly diminish in intensity over a few seconds until it goes away, and it does not start back up again until the clutch pedal is released. Am I looking at a throw out bearing or pilot bearing or possibly something worse?

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The hydraulic slave bearing or the pilot bearing could be the issue. Both require the trans to be pulled.

OP
OP
S

sassafras

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Is OEM the best option for the pilot bearing. I know about being a stock slave and the LUK clutch kits but I'm unsure about the pilot bearing.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is OEM the best option for the pilot bearing. I know about being a stock slave and the LUK clutch kits but I'm unsure about the pilot bearing.

you get the pilot bearing with either the LUK clutch or the hydraulic slave.

OP
OP
S

sassafras

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Quick update. Replaced the clutch, pilot bearing, TOB, and slave cylinder this weekend; the noise is gone now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfal0003