Screws for the sills

wormdoggy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looked under the car before I stored it and I can't believe I lost 4 screws that hold the sills in place. This isn't the first time this has happened. I can replace them easily but any suggestions on how to keep them from falling off. Probably happens gradually with vibrations.
Thanks
Patrick

Bravo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used this real tough plastic ****-eater line inserted in the hole before putting in new screws. Cut off the excess line, and looks fine and tightened right up.
Check your rear tires for screws........

OP
OP
W

wormdoggy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used this real tough plastic ****-eater line inserted in the hole before putting in new screws. Cut off the excess line, and looks fine and tightened right up.
Check your rear tires for screws........

Obviously this isn;t an isolated problem. Thanks Bravo, I checked the tires and all ok......
I also thought of using a puddy which is used for keeping bolts and screws from coming loose. Can't remember what its called. Friend of mine is a plumber and told me to get that. Don't know if it locks the scews. I would certainly need to remove them so they can't be permanent.
Patrick

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's a how to in the illustrated section on installing rivet nuts for this. I took the advice from the Tator gang and simply drilled smaller holes in the sills. Screws don't budge now.

rtigert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Even though the screws are sheetmetal & not machined, loc-tite has always worked for me. Or, you could use clear silicone.

G

grcforce327

Mine fell out also,and the factory ones look like "ASS"! Go to the upgrades section per Viper Tony, and do the rivot nuts, which have a nicer,cleaner look! No more issues!!!

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

Last edited by a moderator:

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Seems we all share this issue, side sill bolts falling out. I check them regularly, but they keep falling out. I've gone to the next size bolt in some cases and tried putty and goo in the holes, which has helped.

Nut-certs or rivet nuts are the answer. I just need the time to do this.

And yes, my tires have caught a couple sill bolts so far (40k miles on 04 SRT-10).

Dan

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I also went one size fatter and longer. Also a little silicone helps keep them from falling out.

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put a dab of RTV on the screws before I put them in and that keeps them from rattling out...unless your car is low and you scrape...then there is not much you can do about it. Those rivet/allen screws look like a good idea...might get me a little ore ground clearance too.

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Done rivnuts all over on my Viper with button head allen bolts....Done most of the car now looks so much better than self tapping screws...