selling Viper and taking a 2 yr hiatus

viperct2001

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It was a very hard decision, but I've decided to sell my 01 RT/10. With a new baby I've found it more difficult for my wife and I to go take a daily cruise in the Viper some where. That and with some bills to pay, I've decided to take a 2 year hiatus from the Viper Nation.

Don't worry, I'll be back in a Viper in 2 years. I promise! I just hope they make a booster seat that to fit a 3 year old in a Viper.

I just listed my Viper (19,750 miles) for $54,000 on Autotrader.

Is that a reasonable price?

Is there any other place I should place a classified? eBay Viper ads always seem like the bid prices never meet the "reserve". Anybody have success using the VCA classifieds?

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess your wife would have a problem with the kid in the floorboard?? I found my Viper on AutoTrader, so hopefully yours will sale there as well. Good luck with the sale and see ya in 2 years! :)

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just because you sell your Viper doesn't mean you're not still welcomed here. :)

Look forward to seeing you back, and congrats on the baby! :2tu:

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viper value = loaded question.

Those that want to buy = you are asking way too much. Followed by low-ball EBAY ads and Autotrader.

Those that own = price seems about right.

Bottom line: You can always come down off the price if you need to. If the car is in perfect condition, I think your starting point is fair. The market is strong for Gen II Vipers and seems to be getting stronger. Why? Plain and simple, LOOKS. I passed a Dodge showroom on the highway and noticed a clean 1992/93 Gen I highlighted in the window. It still looked better than any new design on the road under 100 g's, and my neck still snapped around to get a look. It's amazing that a car 14 years old is still being highlighted in the special display windows to draw people in. That just proves the allure of the Snake.

OP
OP
V

viperct2001

Viper Owner
Reaction score
>>The market is strong for Gen II Vipers and seems to be getting stronger. Why? Plain and simple, LOOKS.

Couldn't agree more. Gen I and II are nicer looking. If I sell, I will be looking for a Gen II in 2 years.

Thanks everyone for the congrats, well-wishes, etc.

The car is in near perfect shape. Some small paint (rock) dings in front, but that can't be helped. I'm sure we all have them. I think I have one small curb rash on one of the rims. Other than that, it's in perfect condition.

I can go lower than the 54K. It was indeed my starting point. But there will be a certain $$ threshold where it will be worth it to keep it rather than sell.

If I only get low-ballers interested, I just may be staying in the Viper nation after all. :)

rcdice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good luck with your sale. I hope you get every penny of your asking price. Even in great condition, with the mileage approaching 20k, market is probably closer to 49k. AGAIN, please hold out for 50k plus for the rest of us. If the car is clean, its worth more than that.

Ditto on the Gen II Vipers holding their place in market. Gen I for that matter! Nothing like the original body style. I had been wanting one for years and kept saying "someday". When DCX finally announced that the body was changing for 03, I bought mine. Absolutely HAD to have the original. Couldn't be happier and I will never sell this car. I've told my 11 year old son that he will inherit it someday. Hopefully, many decades from now!! :shocked: :D :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa:

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I would be so bold, try to keep the Viper if you intend to get another one in 2 years. The taxes you spend registering at the DMV will offset the money you save unless you will pay off high interest bills with it. No telling what Gen II's will be going in 2 years if there is an undesireablly styled Gen IV or none at all.

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually you HAVE to post it in the classifieds here if you expect to post about it in the forums. The rules expressly forbid classified posts in the forums but if you put it in the classifieds the unwritten rule is you can then link it to the forum and refer to an autotrader or ebay ad. This will soon be gone if you don't put it in the classifieds.

OP
OP
V

viperct2001

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Lee,
How do I go about placing a classified on VCA? I'd love to support the VCA with a classified.

Can I paypal it? or do I have to mail a check?

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lee,
How do I go about placing a classified on VCA? I'd love to support the VCA with a classified.

Can I paypal it? or do I have to mail a check?

Click on Classifieds at the top of the screen and select "place an ad" from the drop down menu and go from there. I'm not sure how you do payment. Ads are free for VCA members :2tu:

OP
OP
V

viperct2001

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Damn, forgot to renew my membership this year. doh!

Well, I placed the ad on VCA Classifieds. Waiting on an email invoice that is supposed to come. It's been 10 minutes and no email so far. :(

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tbone96