Semi Auto Sequential Gearbox

xanadu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is my first post and I feel like I'm gonna get slammed, but here goes.

I understand the feeling of having a manual gearbox and the whole "I'm in control of everything" idea. But what are the thoughts about a semi auto gearbox such as Ferrari/Maserati has offered for years and now Lamborghini offering on both its models? Does anyone else think it would be an interesting option for the Viper to have? I think it would be a good thing for the Viper to return to endurance racing, ie 24 Hours, and throw in a sequential paddle shifted gearbox for R & D.

scott
www.critistaff.com

doctorbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do not think you are going to "slammed" for this comment. Actually, Dodge has and maybe is still looking into paddle shifting. I will be at the SEMA show in Vegas and the Viper Club of Nevada is having a dinner tomorrow night and the Dodge boys including (I think) Dan Knott(head of SRT etc. ) will be there. Will keep you posted. Bob

jrkermode

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think you'll find folks coming down on both sides.

Some believe faster is better no matter what.

Others don't like driver aids of any kind.

OP
OP
X

xanadu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Bob for checking on that if you could. I would be real interested in what was said by the Dodge Boys.

jrkermode- You are very right. This is why I think sequential gearbox would be a nice "option" from Dodge. Either way, you're going to make true sports car enthusiasts happy.

I also believe that since this really isn't "new" technology and is obviously not terribly expensive, figuratively, that the R & D wouldn't be a huge drain for the Viper division. I say not terribly expensive because even on the lowest end of the BMW line (3 Series), the SMG as BMW calls it is an option for $1,500. I believe Ferrari & Lamborghini is around 8 to 10,000, but then, your talking Ferrari & Lamborghini. I would suspect that Dodge could ask 4 to 6,000 & sell it for a decent profit. Might even sway a few more overseas sales in the european market who thrive more on technology (F1) than the NASCAR crowd in the U.S..

Any more thoughts out there?

scott

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's one of the things I forgot to ask about last night at the VCA SEMA dinner here in Vegas.

BTW: whatever happened with the ZeroShift conversion kit for the T56? Has anyone tried it yet?

jrkermode

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The ZeroShift rep posted on the forum some time ago that when they're ready to pursue a Viper application, they'll install a unit in Nadine's car. So, ask Nadine if you want an update.

Brad Manhattan Beach

Viper Owner
Reaction score
One of these units already exists in the ME 4-12 that was being shown at SEMA. Archer opened up that baby and showed us and told us that it was a double clutch system that rocked. He's been testing the car for quite some time and says that it has been very reliable.

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

By the way, GTS-R's ran Quaife sequential transmissions (at least untile they regulated the Vipers out of Le Mans). They weren't paddle shifter sequntials. The really rich teams used Hewland sequential trannies with paddle shifters... like Ferrari.

Brad

viperama

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can have something like this Zeroshift in many Volkswagens and Audi TT... its called DSG there.

Maybe i'm wrong, but was it not the Aston Martin Vanquish which had a modified T-56 transmission with full-auto and paddle mode?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960