Servey - Entry level Viper

Ramman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Currently I drive my three Vipers, a 93 RT-10, 96 GTS, and an 03 SRT-10 (all original owner cars) and find each one offers somthing a little different in performance and handling. Truly the SRT-10 is in a class by itself when we look at Viper refinement. In discussing the car with my wife she loves the car but after her first drive she decided that she would like to have one of her own but without having to shift. Here in lies the question and the servey. I would like to know if other Viper owners have faced the same issue with their spouse.

While I was at my dealer, Sunshine Dodge in Melbourne Florida, a bit ago checking on my RAM SRT-10 order(also own a 94 Ram with a V-10 and 127,000 trouble free miles)I got into a discussion with the owner about the success of the HEMI in the Ram and he offered up a test drive to see what it offered. The HEMI truly is an outstanding powerplant and delivers exceptional performance in the Ram. When I returned I had to ask him the question about a Viper powered with the engine. I thought that if an entry level Viper was produced with the HEMI rated at say 375 HP, maybe +/- 20 with only an automatic transmission it might be an ideal car suited to the ladies and as an entry level sports car to the performance Viper.

If a car was produced in the price range of say $44 to 49K to allow for some options we would have somthing that would be world class in terms of styling and very good on the performance side. Things that might change would be tire size, ride height, softer ride and slower handling. I would think that it would be a Bow-Tie killer and fill the need for a sports car more for the average needs and meet the needs of the women that enjoy sports cars.

So here is the question: Dose anyone else have any ideas on this subject and what do you all think about a car that c ould havea HEMI Viper badge??

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, and no.

The Viper does not to join the ranks of the "secretary's car" which is the automatic Corvette with more freaking gadgets and gizmos that you can shake a Prada handbag at.

The words entry level and Viper should NEVER be used in the same sentence.

My guess is that the new SRT-6 / Crossfire (when it's out) could fill this void - but not the Viper.

quickysrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
keep your wife out of this dude...lol. if she cant handle stick and likes the design well get her an s2000 and have them place a civic transmission in it. lol tell her "look hun its a baby girly viper"

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
NO!

Don't dilute the Viper name and mystique with a less than amazing car.

There are many other cars which fill that niche. The Viper should always remain a no-compromise driver's car.

VIPER D

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Is sounds like the new c6 vette has your wifes name all over it.

good luck
at least you know you will always win if you guys drag race. ;)

vd..

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Viper needs to move higher up the car food chain with more power, not farther down. :2tu:

But the Hemi would be a fun engine to wedge into a SRT-4! :eek: :D

-Dean.

SERPENT INDIANA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Buy her a Vette.....my wife absolutely loves hers(2001 and a 2003).......they have more power than most women want....look good, lots of toys....comfortable and have automatics.....

LW VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My wife has a 2000 Mustang 4.6 liter GT convertible 6 speed stick. She likes the solid rear axle, and short wheel base.

Wait, that wasn't the question, was it?

Larry
96 RT/10 Black w/silver stripes

:2tu: :usa: :eek: :) :cool:

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
how about the cross-fire convertable, with the big V-8 conversion like Brabus did (i think 6.3L) and a six speed. that would be one hot Chrysler, must have a manual trans. ! Not a Viper though. lets not"brand it" when you talk about Vettes and Porsche 911's you really need to specify which model 3-vettes, 911 has what like 11 different variants. just give us a supercharger or twin-turbos, and a coupe and Dodge will rule the sports car world!

drdaveSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
an entry level viper will always be one with high miles and a scuffed chin, some door dings and curb rash. Performance, though, should always be there. No ussy vipers please. Make a hybrid why don't you.

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Please take any notion of a 'wifey Viper' and stick it in the bottom of the trash can. There are other cars I'm sure the wife finds 'pretty'. Can you imagine driving your wifes Viper only to run into the inevitable crowd at the gas station asking 'can we look under the hood?!?!?!?' and then showing them that you didn't want (i.e. didn't have the ballz, or the money) the V-10? It's like people who bought the 6 cylinder Mercedes when the AMG was available. I think of them as clueless too.

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My wifey wouldn't drive a Viper w/o a V-10!! :D

Let's get back to the Super Viper idea, and never, never, never....bring up the idea of a Viper Starter Car! :headbang:

Phoenix SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Boy, there sure are a lot of sexist Viper owners on this thread!

If the Viper was dumbed down, I'm sure that there would be a whole bunch of men, as well as women, out there who would buy one. They'd never dream of owning a real Viper, but make it more civilized and slap an automatic transmission in it...well, that is a whole different story. They'd put on their very best gold chains and make a beeline to their dealer.

Franz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My dealer told me a story about a Viper he sold recently.

After the deal was done, he looked out his showroom window and saw the guy just sitting in the car. He went up to him and asked what was wrong. The new owner said he couldn't get the car started. They ran down the checklist and the dealer told him to push in the clutch. To which the new owner said:

Clutch? You mean this is a stick?

The dealer had to have one of his sales guys teach him how to drive stick in the parking lot. I wonder how that ride home went? Maybe that car is the one that just sold for 30 grand on e-bay?

DarcShadow

Viper Owner
Reaction score
ENTRY LEVEL VIPER??? You should be slapped around just for thinking of it. lol But serisouly the whole idea behind the Viper is that it's big, bad, and one hell of a monster. Anything less wouldn't be a Viper. If you can't handle the power or drive a standard you either learn to or get something else.

RunNE1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I remember reading a story in one of the big car mags back before the Gen 1 was released. It mentioned that Dodge was thinking of Viper line with 2 trim levels. One was the full tilt edition and the other was a "Poor Man's Viper" with the main difference being it would be powered by a modified 360 c.i. engine. So, the idea is not that far fetched.

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Imagine a poor mans Ferrari. Six cylinders, 175 hp, AM/FM cassette radio, $75,000. Wouldn't it tarnish the image of it's big brothers? Yup. That's why the Viper is usually considered above and beyond the Dodge brand name. One name stands for a clear performance and exclusivity image, the other is for regular cars and trucks. I know, the Vette could be thought of in the same way. Maybe DC could start a Viper division, with the SRT at the BOTTOM of the performance ladder. Next up: GTS 600+ hp. After that, rename the ME 4-12 the Viper GTSR, 850 hp. Sounds like a good idea? The company could be renamed DCV. Oh wait, that's already taken by the french.

OP
OP
R

Ramman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well decided to take the bull by the horns. Ordered a HEMI crate engine and trans and to have at it myself. Once the parts come in then I will look for a used 2003 SRT-10 and do the conversion. Seems like its not going to be a very differcult a job from what my initial dimensional check. Most likly wiring and the connecting to the Viper system will be the most differcult area to cover.

Phoenix SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well decided to take the bull by the horns. Ordered a HEMI crate engine and trans and to have at it myself. Once the parts come in then I will look for a used 2003 SRT-10 and do the conversion. Seems like its not going to be a very differcult a job from what my initial dimensional check. Most likly wiring and the connecting to the Viper system will be the most differcult area to cover.

Wow! That sounds like a great way to take a car worth ~70k, add in an engine that costs ~ $8k (that's a guess on the Hemi), plus the cost of an auto trans and a whole bunch of time, all to end up with something that you won't be able to give away when you and the wife get tired of it. At least you'll be able to sell the Viper engine from donor car.

ledfoot

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ramman..as a multi-Viper owner,you are higher up the food chain than I,but.......what you are doing is whack :confused:

Phoenix SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Still, it will be amusing, if not interesting, to see the end result. Sort of like breeding Secretariat (may he rest in peace) with a donkey.

Mach500

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ramman, it's your money and time, but could you please take the SRT-10 badging off after your conversion? :confused: At least take off the "10" and replace it with an "8," if you ordered a V-8 HEMI.

On a separate note, I just drove my SRT-10 back from the dealer (after getting all the recall work done), and what a rush that was ... I just cannot see why anyone would want to even LOWER the performance of such a beast. :rolleyes:

vipah

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It will never come to pass. If it does, then once again P.T. Barnum is proven right again.

Don't believe everything you read on the internet.

ledfoot

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You know Vipah,I was thinking the same thing......this guy must be a figure of Viper D's amagination......

Phoenix SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I never thought of that. But, it seems the logical explanation for such a goofy idea.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine