setting T & D roller rockers

aslowdodge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is it possible at any time to set the preloads and adjustments on T & D roller rockers without doing the method of going to each individual cylinder, bringing it to top dead center so that both valves are closed, adjusting both rockers, then repeating for each cylinder.
I saw someone adjust an entire bank of cylinders at one time without ever turning the motor over whatsoever. It doesn't seem right because I would think maybe 3 out of the 5 cylinders might be okay, but that the other two would have the valves at least partially open which would throw off the adjustment.
I don't know. Maybe this is something of a shortcut that someone who has done many sets before learned and it works okay. Maybe I missed something.

Any thoughts?

TOOOFST

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's fine if you know there approx location is for a simple [******] box.Not for the viper.
Try to remember this way:INTAKE/OPEN(adjust the intake when the exhaust is 1/2 OPEN).EXHAUST/CLOSED(adjust the exhaust when the intake is 1/2 CLOSED.

OP
OP
A

aslowdodge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought you wanted both valves closed at the same time on the compression stroke when you made the adjustment. Am I wrong?

Cal Cobra

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I thought you wanted both valves closed at the same time on the compression stroke when you made the adjustment. Am I wrong?

Unless the Viper is different, that's the way I always did it on my Boss 302. I'd pull the plug to tell when the compression stroke was max/TDC, and then adjust the valves, worked like a champ. It's been a long time since I've done that, but I may have also followed the firing order when doing the valve adjustment.

Is the Viper different?

Cal

OP
OP
A

aslowdodge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
so if you went and adjusted all 10 rockers one after the other on one cylinder bank without ever rotsating the crank, aren't some of the adjustments off?

Cal Cobra

Viper Owner
Reaction score
so if you went and adjusted all 10 rockers one after the other on one cylinder bank without ever rotsating the crank, aren't some of the adjustments off?

They'd have to be, not only that, but if the valves were all the way down when you did the adjustment, you could potentially bend the valve IMO.

Cal