Sh*t...I put 87 octane in

97 B/W GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
10 gallons. I don't know what I was thinking.

Ok to run it through?
Fill the rest of the tank with 91?
Drain it out?

BlueGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Fill the rest with sunoco 94 and dont worry about it.

No more Sunoco 94, at least not in the NJ/NY area.

Over the weekend I was very low on gas and was forced to put in 2 gallons of 93 from a nozzle that fills 87, 89 and 93. I got paranoid :crazy: about the amount of 87 I just pumped into my car from the previous guy at that pump, so I drove straight to Sunoco and pumped in 2 gallons of 100 and filled the rest with 93. If my car was stock I would not have been so worried. My recommendation to you would be to fill the rest with 100.

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
did the same on my first fill up too! no biggie.

do not drive the car hard, and fill the rest of the tank with the best octane you can find. again, dont drive the car hard, and consume the tank of gas that is in there. filler up with 92 on empty.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All the gas stations near me pump 87, 89, and 93. I know I've pumped some 87 in my car, but thats unavoidable when its not a special pump for premium. I've had the car for over a year and no problems yet from it

Fast Freddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
top it off with 5 gallons of 104 octane unleaded. if the tank already had 5 gallons of premium in it then add 2 bottles of an MMT octane booster

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Put a block under the gas pedal.

Guys, this is not the disaster some make it out to be. You only "need" the octane at high loads and (combustion) temperatures. Just drive with a 200 horsepower limit and you'll never notice. Really.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
put c16 in to top it off, lol

putting C16 in it is bad advice. that has lead in it and will plug your O2 sensors

A small amount will NOT "plug" your O2 sensors. Over time, continued used will coat them and cause them to fail. But say 3-4 gallons in a full taknk once will ony make the burning fuel smell really cool. :2tu:

OP
OP

97 B/W GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK. Thanks all. Good ideas. I'll top off with 92 and add an octane booster for added insurance. I want to be able to drive it hard at will, not baby it thru these 10 gals.

AG98RT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
How much gas is left in the hose on a standard three choice - one hose pump when you start fueling? Where does the "switch" take place between octane levels and how much "contamination" are we talking about?
Seems if the junction is in the pump, you're only looking at maybe a pint of so, no biggie. If it's coming from some distance, I'd maybe be concerned for my turbo'ed cars...
Still a pint or two in ten gallons is negligible, I guess...

Don Hiltz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not a motorhead by any stretch of the imagination, but don't we have knock sensors which electronically retard the timing when preignition occurs????

Don

twinturbo3150

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I heard a station with a selectable grade with 1 pump, after pumping low grade the tank ***** back any unused fuel in the lines. So the possibility of low grade getting into our tanks is VERY little. At least thats what the guys installing these fuel pumps told me.

BlueGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
How much gas is left in the hose on a standard three choice - one hose pump when you start fueling? Where does the "switch" take place between octane levels and how much "contamination" are we talking about?
Seems if the junction is in the pump, you're only looking at maybe a pint of so, no biggie. If it's coming from some distance, I'd maybe be concerned for my turbo'ed cars...
Still a pint or two in ten gallons is negligible, I guess...

It probably is negligible and on a NA car as the car is made to handle octane variation. With forced induction I am very picky with the octane level. I normally will not fill up where they do not have a specific hose for premium. Now in my Vette I fill up where ever they have the cheapest premium gas. The octane is only an issue if you are WOT.

ROGUE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't even worry about it, just fill it up with premium and all will be well. These engines aren't as high strung as you make them out to be. In all honesty you could drive it all day on 87 and it wouldn't hurt a thing.

Remember it's still a big ass 9.5:1 compression all aluminum motor. Thats VERY VERY tame, relax and drive the damn car.

99 RT is spot on, running leaded fuel will not hurt the O2 sensors at bit. It is far harder on catalysts than anything, but even then it would take HUNDREADS of gallons before you even had to worry about it.

Oh and ALL the TT cars run leaded race fuel with wide band O2's, never hear of anyone having a problem there do ya.

sigh, heaven forbid anyone actually get something exotic that requires some attention, you'll all be too afraid to touch it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
06Quad