Shaft Mounted Rockers or Not?

Robert Dyck

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm doing greg good heads and cam with headers and catback on an 02 rt. I'm expecting upper 500 hp at the wheels.

Would non-shaft 1,7 rockers such a harland sharp be sufficient or should I go with the shaft mounted T&Ds?

Any thoughts or experience would be appreciated.

345s-bspinnin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Full length shaft mounted rockers provide a more stable valve train. Go TD's or Jessel. I do not believe in saving a few hundred for a product whose failure could have severe repercussions. I really do like my T&Ds. Mine are surprisingly quiet too.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only bad set of rockers is the old STUD mounted Crowers. DO NOT USE!

Crower re-designed to a shaft mounted designed and are on par with T&D. HS should be adequate but T&Ds are a better rocker. Just beefier :2tu:

Jeebs

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Are the Harland Sharp rockers just not good, or is it that there is just a lot better options out there like the T&D's.
I'm only asking because i used them a couple times in the mustang builds i did. They worked great for them. But i know apples to oranges.

Tagoo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
There is nothing wrong with the HS rockers. The problem lies with the viper head. The part of the head where the rocker mounts is somewhat weak. Add high revs, or aggressive lift cams, high valve spring pressures and the weakness is made more apparent, sometimes causing cracks in the mounting bosses of the head. The shaft mount rockers provide a stabilizing shaft across all of the mounting bosses thereby adding some strength to the weak area of the head.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If Greg Good recommends using T&D then do it. That's what I did. Greg was pretty adamant about using T&D's or Jesel when I did his heads/cam. Something about the spring pressure, etc. and some other detailed engineering information that went over my head.

Tagoo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
345, my info came from Greg Good when we was doing heads/cam for me. At the time he told me the real culprit was not the rockers, but rather the head design. He said that the instability of the mounting bosses (and the lack of head material to support the bosses) allowed for too much flexing in the system. It is this flexing that causes the additinoal strain, thereby causing the failures. You are right that rocker failure could occur due to that instability without actual damage to the mounting bosses.

Do a quick search, and you will find various instances where the strain was more than HS rockers could bear.

For example: http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/650052-Help-little-girl-fix-her-viper!

Edit: The videos are not privatized, but when public, you could see the carnage of broken HS rocker. No damage to the head mounting bosses from what I recall.

OP
OP
R

Robert Dyck

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you all for your responses.

Actually, I have not been advised by Greg on the rockers yet....it's one of my questions for him, and I was planning on using the T&D's.

His response to Tagoo sounds like the answer.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang