Shekby edition viper...I smell B.S.

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Actually, there was an AFTERMARKET "Shelby Edition" Viper that Fitzgerald (large Viper oriented Dodge dealer at the time) designed. Not sure how he got the Shelby name on it, but my assumption is he was so large at the time that he could afford a licensing agreement with "the man".

Jonb might have more facts about it... but if I recall, it was essentially a stock Viper, with the crossbar in the front facia removed... and some other cosmetic touches.

Not sure about any performance upgrades.

WOT!

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Adam, it's real... We have a guy in our NE VCA that has a red one. These are very rare. Also, there was an article in Viper Quarterly, Spring 1996? See page 42. Ask for interior pic, I believe these had custom interiors with Carroll's signature.

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually, there was an AFTERMARKET "Shelby Edition" Viper that Fitzgerald (large Viper oriented Dodge dealer at the time) designed. Not sure how he got the Shelby name on it, but my assumption is he was so large at the time that he could afford a licensing agreement with "the man".

Jonb might have more facts about it... but if I recall, it was essentially a stock Viper, with the crossbar in the front facia removed... and some other cosmetic touches.

Not sure about any performance upgrades.

I thought they were also all white with blue stripes ..

V 10 MAFIA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tim Cloutier has a red one with the same emblems. He had it at Tators last BBQ.

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
there is a very nice official-looking "CS" emblem on the rear wing and nose. looks legit.

if anybody has pics of a red one, please send them to me via email. i would love to add them to the registry. i did a quick web search, and there is nothing on this car.

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
steve, if you remember, could you get as many pics of the car as you can? especially if there are interesting items like the "CS" logos, or interior items, etc? thank you.

FLX109

Enthusiast
Reaction score
steve, if you remember, could you get as many pics of the car as you can? especially if there are interesting items like the "CS" logos, or interior items, etc? thank you.

Here is some pictures of it at the New England car show, I hope you don't mind Tim..
[/image]
2DSC03468-med.jpg

2DSC03629-med.jpg

MADDMAXS57

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fitzgerald also made a "couple" of black and gold GTS's if memory serves me right. :usa:

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A few of the white one...

You must be registered for see images

twinturbo3150

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A few of the white one...

I think it would look better if the crossbar was back in, The front end kinda looks like a hammer head shark. OR even an old man who has pulled out his false teeth. Dont get me wrong, I wouldn't mind a CC in my garage. :2tu:

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks real to me. I've never seen the snakehead, but there was a Shelby edition. Kind of unusual looking, but rare!

3114Carlisle_022-med.jpg

3114Carlisle_021-med.jpg

Pictures taken in Carlisle, PENNSYLVANIA

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i am confused. the black and white shelbys all have smooth hoods and are RT's.

the red one has a NACA duct, and is a GTS.

i wonder how many of the 19 were RT's and how many were GTS's?

KROOKLYN

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was actually at the car show were those pics were taken. It was in atlantic city this weekend. It did have Carroll's signature on the glove box.

KROOKLYN

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was actually at the car show were those pics were taken. It was in atlantic city this weekend. It did have Carroll's signature on the glove box. It said it was the only black with silver every made.

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
here are some more pics i found on the net:

11new_shelby3-med.jpg

11new_shelby4-med.jpg

11new_shelby-med.jpg

11new_shelby2-med.jpg

11new_shelby5-med.jpg

the red GTS appears to have been modified. if only 19 of these cars were made, this may have been a BAD decision!

Un'sidepiper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In the book VIPER by Matt Stone it says:

Dan Fitzgerald attempted to forge the "missing link" between Carroll Shelby's orginal Cobras and the Viper. Fitzgerald was one of Shelby's top-selling dealers back in the good old days, and he went on to develop a special-edition Shelby-izrd Viper.

Viperguynick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Neat, I didn't think I would ever see that car again. I made my first pilgramidge to Fitzgerald in 1996 at age 11, I have a photo in an album at home of me sitting in front of this same exact car. Dan told me that this was the only shelby they had put the Sneaky Pete graphic on, at the request of the buyer. They had 3 more there at the time, all white/blue. The RT/10 Shelby Vipers were produced in 1996 and there were 19 of them. Tim's Red GTS Shelby was made in 1998, and there are around 25 of those floating around. I will see if I can dig up / Scan that old shot.

:usa: Nick :usa:

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<< They had 3 more there at the time, all white/blue. The RT/10 Shelby Vipers were produced in 1996 and there were 19 of them. Tim's Red GTS Shelby was made in 1998, and there are around 25 of those floating around. >>

are you sure about this info nick? if it is tru data, then i would like to make the corrections in the registry right away. thanks.

Viperguynick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
big-n-italian, The only numbers in that statement I am sure on is the fact that there are at least 4 Shelby RT/10s and 1 Shelby GTS (as I have seen these personally). The other figures are simply going by what has been mentioned for production numbers before. I will contact Fitzgerald motorsports and see if they could possibly be of any assistance in obtaining true numbers.
I found the photos from my initial visit to Fitzgerald.

The Black Shelby RT/10 CS that is up for auction:

A white '96 RT/10 with Pace Car logos.

From a second trip, one of the two Black/Gold stripe/Gold wheel ACR's that Fitzgerald had ordered:
(sorry for the quality, flash was broken on disposable camera, dealt with what I had.)

:usa: Nick :usa:

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Morris or Irving Shekby?

Never knew they were into Vipers.

Learn something new every day around here.

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fittzgerald Dodge did indeed sell a number of "Shelby" Edition Vipers. Not done by Shelby, sars were made in Laconia NH, by Fitz. First ones were White/blue repaint, most were factory red/yellow cars to start. Fitz sold more yellow wheels than anyone! Had troubles with the white paint on side sills yellowing :( The badging was from the Shelby Dodges done in the mid/late 80's.

He did a few coupes, but not very many, I saw DAn in a nice black "Shelby" coupe that he had at the Indy VOI. Think he only sold one or two of them. It was by far the best looking one he had done.

Carroll is a friend of Dan Fitzgerald from the Ford Shelby days, and did approve the cars, but really had nothing to do with their design.