Shift Light

jp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Need some advices on Shift Lights. I want to install a Shift Light for the coming race season, but have not been able to find anyone that have Shift Lights that works with the Viper... What to do?

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JP,

How have you been? Check with an AUTOMETER dealer in your area if you have one over there. They make a small shift light that can mount on the steering column or behined the dash and the light can shine through the small center panel where your turn signal lights are. Give me a call or email with any questions.

tom

BTW, you may want to try JEGS Performance at 800-345-4545. I know that they carry them, shipping international should not be a problem either.

SRTim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought an Auto Meter shift light from Summit Racing. They have to recalibrate it for the Viper's V10. I forget exactly how much it cost, but it was reasonably inexpensive...$150?

Also, you have to buy "pill kits" seperately for it-they plug into the shift light, and tell it at what RPM you want it to come on at.

The shift light was reasonable easy to install...the wire splicing, and wire routing were the hardest part. Also, I screwed it right into the top of the steering column. Looks great. The only disadvantage is that I cannot tilt my steering wheel up as high as it will go-or the light will hit the dash.

Hope this helps!

Tim

OP
OP
J

jp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Tom

Everything is great in Sweden, Been out riding the Snowmobiles quite hard this winter... I've just started to prepare for installing the new drive shafts and the rollbar (with side bars). Will hopefully get the Purner Wheels before the season starts... june... still time. I'll check with Autometer.
btw have you tried Dougs adjustable fuel pressure gadets, sounds interesting!?
cheers

OP
OP
J

jp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I want to shift at 4500rpm, wich "pill kit" will I need then, is there some kinda clue or do I have to guess?

SRTim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pill kits come in a packet of about 5 different RPM "pills".

You should check out summitracing.com to find the one you want.

Tim

David Jenkins

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The pills are numberd at the top. They come in sets of RPM range. 5,100-5,300-5,500-5,700-5,800 is one set. There is also a box with an adjustable rpm range that can be used instead of the pills. It goes from 4,600-6,800 and is only $25 more then a set of pills.dj

SammyV

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JP, Bought an Autometer shift light from John B @ Parts rack for about $100.00.(I have not yet installed it!) It is already recalibrated and comes with a pill set 5000-5800 RPM. Summit racing does have other pill sets for about $20.00.(4000-4800) The only possible problem I see is it somewhat large but I think it will still fit on top of my steering column and not touch the dash or the steering wheel when the wheel is up in the position I like. SammyV

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You don't necessarily need a V-10 calibrated shift light. I use a 4-6-8 cylinder light and simply use pills that are 25% higher RPMs (because V-10 has 25% more cylinders than a V-8.) A 6800 pill lights off at 5440 V-rpm.

Besides, it's pretty funny to watch when someone sees you put in a 7400 RPM (5920) pill.

Snake Bitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This guy makes a shift light that hooks up with only three wires, and you can SET the RPM's in increments of 10...no pills required...works on anything from a 2 cylinder up to a 16 cylinder...I also use it as a "rpm window switch" for my N20...as it actually will run two shift lights...There are many Vipers running this box, as this guy used to own a GTS and knows alot of us.

Basically...for this box, you tie one wire into one of the coil packs, tell the box you're running a two-cylinder, and at whatever RPM you set it to, the box switches the "ground" to complete the 12V circuit, and walla...shift light blinds you.

Email him at [email protected] ... I can help anyone with the wiring, installation, set-up over the phone...It's very easy, the box is super small (fits behind my PCM cover) and the light itself has four SUPER BRIGHT LED's...I have zero problems seeing it in the brightest of daylight...

Here's a pic of the set-up... www.hightechspeed.com

You must be registered for see images

Bolax

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Use the Autometer shift light and put it in the center A/C vent. The air diffuser fits back on the vent and until the thing lights up no one even knows it's there. Another cool feature of this is you can move the fins on the air diffuser if the light is too bright.

DChan415

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The AEM EMS has a shift light output which you can configure to turn on at any desired RPM for each gear. Hook it up to an LED pointed at your eyes and you have a shift light for under $5.

OP
OP
J

jp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I prefer to have the shift light in my eyes...

Use the Autometer shift light and put it in the center A/C vent. The air diffuser fits back on the vent and until the thing lights up no one even knows it's there. Another cool feature of this is you can move the fins on the air diffuser if the light is too bright.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine