Shifter shakes violently from hard acceleration

vincent_esq

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have about 7k miles on my car, and I've noticed lately that when I am in gear and rolling and then accelerate rapidly (literally flooring it), the car loses a bit of traction (which is normal), but then the shifter started shaking violently until I gain traction. Is this normal?

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We have not heard this quote in a long time..."The Year Matters" Credit to JonB. What year model are you driving? Mods? It might help to diagnose whether this is normal or not. My 2000 does not do this but I can't say it could not be normal in other years. Neutral gear rattle was common in earlier versions and is no big deal, but I have not heard if it happens under hard acceleration, I doubt it. If you are nailing it hard enough in a lower gear to get it to wheel hop and cause the shifter to shake violently you have bigger things to worry about...like spinning and going off the road backwards. But you may also have another mechanical problem. Broken motor mount? Frame recall not done if appropriate year?

Kenny

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It's wheel hop. Back off when it happens or you can break [******]. Going to better (non runflat) tires with bigger sidewalls helps.

OP
OP
V

vincent_esq

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks guys! Heard of the infamous wheel hop and now finally experienced it. It's an o3 without corsa Track. No other mods.

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Defenetly wheel hop had this twice...don't power out of it (learned that from another thread)

OP
OP
V

vincent_esq

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This wheel hop deal *****! Does this happen to just our vipers or the vette has same problem? If I was racing my buddy with the z06, he would have creamed me!

Franko

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My Vette never had any wheel hop. I love my Viper but i just can't have any fun in it unless i want to start an earthquake with my wheel hop.

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This wheel hop deal *****! Does this happen to just our vipers or the vette has same problem? If I was racing my buddy with the z06, he would have creamed me!

Never have had wheel hop in the vette so far!

Tipsy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Never had wheel hop under any conditions, 11K miles, plenty of opportunity. I have Pirelli P Zero tires, so I am offering this as a possible explanation.

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Viper is all about smoothness, you can't smash the throttle, you need to smoothly roll into it. A lighter touch will result in no wheel hop and FASTER times. We have way too much torque, traction will always be limited. Look at a few of the drag videos posted here from time to time and you will see the better drag racers EASING off the line at relatively low rpms to avoid massive wheelspin and hop, then rolling into it hard when they have traction.

Franko

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That makes sense on what your saying but having wheel hop is not normal is it? It's one thing to smoothly roll into it to prevent the wheels from spinning but thats different from wheel hop.

I never heard of a sports car that can't even spin the tires.

nevrenuf

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From my experiences with many Vettes, and other folks with modded Vettes as well, wheel hop IS a big problem.. I had to go to drag slicks to be able to get 60ft times under 1.50 without wheel hop..

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
check your motor mounts and transmission mounts. A easy and simple fix is to install the competition coupe mounts which are much harder than the stock ones. You can buy them from dodge and while you are at it get the steering mounts too.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang