Shifters: Hurst, B&M, or?

PittsburghRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am thinking of buying a short throw shifter for my RT/10. Are there any pros and cons to a Hurst or B&M? Is there a better shifter? I know SVS makes one and they recently had a group buy. Can I use my MGW gripper knob with any of these shifters? Are any of these shifters hard to put in reverse or easy to miss a shift with? I am leaning towards the Hurst or B&M. I had a Hurst in my 5.0 Mustang back in the day and really liked it. Let me hear what you fellow Viper owners have to say. I am sure this topic has been discussed before, but the search option has not worked well for me in the recent past. Thanks in advance.

CROM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I would do a few searchers on shifters. I know this topic has been extensively discussed.

The Wizard recommends the Hurst as do many others. The SVS shifter also gets much praise....the B&M one typically is listed as the 3rd most desirable unit.

A1998

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll Chime in here and say I don't think you would be sorry if you went with the Hurst. I installed mine myself and the shifts both up and down are very positive. Of course I grew up with Hurst shifters in my hand. I also use the MGW shift knob and everything has a great feel and throw. Good Luck

A1998

OP
OP
P

PittsburghRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys. It looks like I will be ordering the Hurst for my car. I also noticed that the search option is working again.

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I actually took the cheaper route. Because if you know how to shift well then you really don't need an expensive shifter. I bought a deter short shift rod for like 25 bucks and a MGW first strike shift knob.
It works GREAT, i barely ever miss a shift.

I'd like to drive a viper that has a hurst to really see how much better these shifters really are. Then maybe i'd spend the money on one?

RAYSIR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All I can say is I put a B&M on both my cars and then even shortened the shaft another inch by drilling and tapping then cutting the shaft shorter. Works great. :nana:

A1998

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It works GREAT, i "barely" ever miss a shift.

If you had a HURST you would "Never" miss a shift!! Try It!! :D

Hissses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got one of the SVS shifters on the group buy and it is great! Very impressed with quality and nvh not to mention works great.

BOGOTA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the B&M and the MGW First Strike shifter and it feels insane, smoooth and quick. No issues in over 2 years with them.

ViperJames

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hurst, I have it and LOVE it. It was also the Wizards recommendation. That alone should speak volumes.

ghayes420

Viper Owner
Reaction score
SVS. I installed the SVS after the group buy and put a MGW shift knob on it. Screwed right on. Reverse is easy. Shifting is simple and you cannot miss a 2 -3 no matter how hard you try. I highly recommend it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte