Shifting hard...got stuck in neutral

Anaconda

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Last night during some spirited driving, I was powershifting from 2nd to 3rd, and somehow it got "stuck" in neutral. I had to mess with it to get it back in gear. This happened again later. What's going on? Do I need to get the tranny fluid replaced? Or is there something wrong with like the clutch?? Thanks in advance.

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you are lucky it is just your clutch.
What's up with the other gears, can you shift them ?

OP
OP
A

Anaconda

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I didn't smell any burnt clutch, and it shifts fine in normal driving. Is it possible that I just missed the shift? The clutch is like 6 months old.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
So lets see, you popped out, and when you tried to slam it back in, you just bonked in between. Hate it when that happens.....

Mine does that too. Nuetral seems to get much "larger" when you are rushing through the gears. I've had brief moments where I couldn't get it back in gear. Lesson is, don't miss the shift to begin with. I think the ****** T56 is prone to this.

OP
OP
A

Anaconda

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So that is what is then? I just missed it? How come that never happened before (when I was a crappier driver)?

Do you think changing the fluid would help? Maybe it is low or something?

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I honestly don't know. Its happened to me before, but only when I try to rush the gears. I think a single cone synchronizer can only match up the gear rev's only "so much", and if you try to rush the shift, the tranny shuts down and laughs at you.

newredrt10

Former VCA National President
Administrator
Reaction score
Might be a shift fork. Mine was bent when I got the car. It would feel like it went in to third but it was not. It never got stuck in neutral, but I had to shift it into anyother gear to get it working correctly. It only did it if I was shifting hard above 4500 rpm. they fixed it under warrenty.

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a small roll-pin start to come out and it locked it in 1st gear. I would have to assume if it was working out when in neutral it would keep it in neutral also. But that wouldn't be intermitant.
btw, the roll-pin is the last thing to come out of the trans. case when yer lookin' for a problem. :rolleyes: