Shifting Problem

VIPORXXX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a new Carbob/carbon clutch recommended by Jon b
It was just installed by dealer when my engine was rebuilt.
I took the car down to Sebring to get in some track time.
The problem I'm having is getting it into 3rd gear :mad:
and 4th feels stiff. The problem is most acute on 4th to 3rd
downshifts :confused: At the beginning of my runs it seems to
be fine but, about halfway through a 30 minute run session the
problem occurs. When the car is completely cooled down I can easily
and smoothly shift thru the gears.

Please HELP

Fast Eddie

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe this could be the problem - the OEM set up allows for about .030 clearance when the clutch is fully depressed. If for some reason the new makeup does not allow this .030, the expansion of the clutch as it gets hot won't allow it to release, thus, your shifting problem. If you really heated it up, such as with slicks at the strip, you probably wouldn't be able to shift at all.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know, but carbon probably has a low thermal expansion rate, so while Jack could be right, if we take a stab that the clutch isn't getting bigger, then it might be something with the fluid and affected all gears? How's the 1-2 shift or just getting into 1rst? Since the synchros are working a little more because the speed differential is large, those could be bad/worse if it's a heat related problem (clutch or fluid.) If it's only 3-4 then maybe it's an internal transmission problem.

(When I lost 2nd gear and asked the board for some advice, someone responded that T-56's are like razor blades, have to replace them every once in a while.)

OP
OP
V

VIPORXXX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Correction: Its not the carbon/carbon clutch its the Archer Racing clutch which
is kevlar based. I stand corrected by Jon B.

Downshifting into 2nd is OK. It has been recommended to me to bleed, bleed amd bleed the system.