Short in the door wires?

Silver Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just notice that when I open the driver's door, I can hear a clicking noise after the door is "popped" open. If I swing the door through the full range I can reproduce the clicking sound at about the midway open point. So I popped off the rubber boot around the bundle of wires and found that by moving it a little bit causes the same clicking noise.

So I am 99.999% certain that I have a short in there, but how the hell do I repair it? It seems as though the short is somewhere inside the car along that bundle. I cannot see an easy way to repair this.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Mark
:)

Hisserman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve's right, unfortunately it is a common problem -- the original design pulls the wires too tight and they eventually break. You might get lucky and find the break or worn insulation right at the bend under the boot -- otherwise take it to your Viper Tech. :p

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had multiple breaks in my door wires. It's actually pretty easy if you or someone you know can solder. All I did was find a comparable gauge speaker wire and soldered a jumper between the broken wires and voila. This is very common and I'm sure it won't be the last time I'll have to do this.

OP
OP
S

Silver Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, I monkeyed around with it for about an hour and decided that I cannot easily get to the break in the wire. Off to the tech it goes. I wonder if this is what has been causing my alarm to honk the horn three times everytime I disarm it. :p

Thanks
Mark
:)

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
100 bucks for a new harness... screw repairing it. Wrap the door jam section of the harness with extra tape, and it will last a LONG time. Not worth doing that on a failed & repaired harness though... it will go again. I replaced about 10 of those things...