Short shifters ?

cgmaster

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I know there are atleast 3 shifters available for gen 2 cars B&M, Hurst (Mopar), and the Competition coupe Shifter. Has anyone tried all three yet. Is the CC shifter worth the $350 compared to the $250 for the others. I have never used any of them I have only used the stock unit. I have heard of problems with the B&M unit. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
John :2tu:

GimmeTheSpeed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
cqmaster, what have you heard bad about the B&M? I'm having one put in right now by Valaya, Ted recommended it himself. Thanks for the info :)

unreelviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
John, I don't know what you've heard bad about the B&M Shifter but I have not had a problem from day 1. In fact, this is my second one( 1st was installed in my 94 R/T before I sold it). I had the shifters installed by Jason Heffner(Heffner's Performance) and Jason did a hell of a job with the install. Please let me know what you have heard in reference to the B&M......Good Luck.

OP
OP
C

cgmaster

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have heard of a few of them breaking. I am not sure where they broke but I also found out that the older ones were different. I don't know if it was the old ones that broke or the new ones. I just remember reading about it here.

Iceman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've installed the B&M a couple of weeks ago. Great stuff, I should have installed it earlier.

As far as breaking it, it looks pretty solid so I am guessing the were slamming it quite hard to do it.

v10kingsnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
my only gripe with the bm i just put on is now i need 2 hands to put the car in reverse. my wife isnt happy cause i told her i dont think she can do it. i think now that is a good thing. but seriously i am a 200 lb. 28 year old athletic man and it is not easy to shift into R

FlyBryViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The problems with the B & M Ripper shifters were with the few prototypes they produced many, many years ago. The problems were corrected, and they have not had a problem since.
Best shifter out there - the SVSi shifter has the best reputation amongst all the road racers I know, and several drag racers. If you are not competing, get which ever shifter is the easiest to source for you.
I have the B&M. At a Viper Days event, we could be shifting 10 - 12 times per lap, times 14 - 16 laps, times 4 sessions per day times two days = 1120 - 1536 shifts per event. More if we do the Friday practice.
Never had a problem with the B&M and the MGW knob.

Tomcat

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the CC shifter and Newt (V-TEN member) has the B&M. Newt says my CC shifter has a slightly shorter throw and is a little more positive in shifting.

Hope this helps.

Tom

OP
OP
C

cgmaster

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help. I finaly tried a B&M today. It seemed a little notchier than my stock one. Does anyone have any more info on the others SVS, CC, or Hurst (Mopar).