Short Throw Shift Linkage??? Lil Help...

Bob Pommer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One area that could improve track times by at least a couple of seconds would be a shorter shift linkage. Given you upshift about 30 times around the track, the stock shift linkage make for long throws... You could probably cut about .2 seconds off each shift and your talking about a 6 second difference give or take... Thats a big differnce... Aside from the fact that it is a more satisfying driving experience. I have an M5 that I had the short trow shift linkage put in and it is the single greatest improvement I made to the car as it relates to "feel".

I have the short knob, but does anyone know who makes a good short throw linkage? Also, the shifter is REAL easy to miss a gear in or pick the wrong one... Probably driver error, but it seems to be prone to that.

Any advice?

Bob

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also, the shifter is REAL easy to miss a gear in or pick the wrong one... Probably driver error, but it seems to be prone to that.

In comparison to my 1995 the SRT is much more prone to a missed shift. Almost seems like the gates are slanted a bit. Anyone else find the SRT to be a little more difficult? I have MGW short shift knobs on both to reduce the shift throw and make them more comfortable.

Warp10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the short throw package in my WRX and like it a lot. I have not heard of any for the SRT so far. I also have the MGW short knob and like it better than the stock shifter. The shift gates also seem "slanted" Third drives me crazy. Some days I can hit the shifts dead on, and other days I feel like I have to search for it. 4th, 5th, and 6th seem to be no problem.

SRTRICK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have found the new linkage to be more precise than that on my 00 RT/10, although you do have to push the lever slightly to the right when moving into third. It seems to me, although I have barely broken it in at this point, that the transmission's synchro rings are what cause any shifting hesitation, not the shifter mechanism. I question whether you will pick up any time with an aftermarket shifter unless you are willing to bang it through the synchro resistance pretty hard.

If you are intent on finding a heavier duty shifter, you might check with B&M to see if they are working on anything. Also, does the comp coupe use a different shifter?? I don't know the answer to that one, but it might be worth checking into.

Bob - are you coming to the IL VCA autocross this Sunday?? That would give you a chance to work on your synergy with the car in a less expensive arena than the race track.