Short Throw Shifter help

aries

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm in the market for a short throw shifer. I'm sending my trans out to John Donato to do the 5th and 6th gear as well as a host of other things. I'd like to possibly get a short throw shifter but wanted to get others opinion on them. What do you like about them? Any draw backs? Is the shirt effort much higher even though the length of the "throw" is shorter? Do you recommend any particular brand? Thanks

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
MGW is the ONLY one you want. I'm 99% sure it's only available from Woodhouse so you might want to contact Mark. Woodhouse installed mine in my ACR before delivery so if you're at the lunch on Saturday you can check it out, there is a world of difference! No drawbacks, shorter throw, easier effort and much more accurate, no more missed shifts as it changes the tendency to push back towards the drivers side.

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
MGW is the ONLY one you want. I'm 99% sure it's only available from Woodhouse so you might want to contact Mark. Woodhouse installed mine in my ACR before delivery so if you're at the lunch on Saturday you can check it out, there is a world of difference! No drawbacks, shorter throw, easier effort and much more accurate, no more missed shifts as it changes the tendency to push back towards the drivers side.

Lee I definitely wanna check it out

Sonoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Simple physics would seem to indicate that a shortened throw = more effort. Not talking about the change in side-to-side pre-loading here. Also, the change in shifters means trashing the stock shift knob and shaft-- if keeping the car original in appearance is important to you.

That said, I'm thinking about installing an MGW too, but I wouldn't say that there are "no drawbacks".

cubican

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can call them direct they will sell you one, I just finish with my tr6060 with the new 5th and 6th what a great upgrade from the old t56. The MGW works great on the 6060 but on the old t56 was some what hard to shift.

351carlo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Simple physics would seem to indicate that a shortened throw = more effort. Not talking about the change in side-to-side pre-loading here. Also, the change in shifters means trashing the stock shift knob and shaft-- if keeping the car original in appearance is important to you.

That said, I'm thinking about installing an MGW too, but I wouldn't say that there are "no drawbacks".

You do not need to trash the shift knob and shaft with an MGW Shifter. I used the stock Shaft and Knob on mine.

OP
OP
A

aries

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I looked on MGW website and I didn't see a kit offered for a 2006, is it just not listed?

Chemeng

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ordered the MGW from Mark, it was on my front porch in 2 days. Doing the install this weekend. Would definitely recommend Woodhouse.

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Thanks for clearing that up...:rolleyes:

Perhaps instead of being a smart a**, you would notice that Lee said "I'm 99% sure it's only available from Woodhouse". I was just saying that other Vendors carry it. Don't you have some cars or something to move around the car lot?

Reaction score
Perhaps instead of being a smart a**, you would notice that Lee said "I'm 99% sure it's only available from Woodhouse". I was just saying that other Vendors carry it. Don't you have some cars or something to move around the car lot?

:lmao:actually no cars left, shop is full though Shooter...

I will get back to work though

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the MGW and love it. I don't think it is hard to shift on the T56 or the 6060. Definitely more positive action. Had one on my Gen 3 and now on my Gen 4 ACR. Got mine from Woodhouse.

BAD BOYZZ GARAGE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
MJ.

When your done organizing the cars on the lot please give me a call.. I need a MGW shifter shipped next day air Saturday delivery. If I miss your call I'll get right back to you, I'm out back washing the Viper's..:D

Thnx,

BAD BOYZZ GARAGE, INC.
Toddy

=DISTRIBUTORS OF POWER=:usa:

rosco

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i removed the factory shifter handle, took it to a machine shop. they cut it in half and machined some threads on to the end. short throw shifter and i can install any shoft knob i want. less than 50 bucks plus the cost of the knob.

the only advantage you might get from one of these aftermarket products is the ability to adjust the stops.

i mean really, do you think they put that factory shifter up there like a flag pole and didnt think you would cut it to fit?

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've used MGW for years and years, I have one on my GT500 and just installed one Saturday on my sons '12 mustang. They are perfection in design & quality. I've always bought them direct & they are awesome to deal with, personally I'm considering for my Gen4, if I do, I would go thru Mark, that AI bring benefit to MGW & Mark, who's a great community supporter here .. and has them ready to go. But that's just me.

I did have one once where I went with a very short lever & it was too short, not due to effort but my big ole fingers could get smashed between the ball knob and the shifter ring, but I have big hands. (and we know that means, ladies, big ... gloves). A medium length lever is butter, super short pattern, perfect preload, great height for comfort. Yep, I'm a fan.

These are a little bit of a PITA to install, like on the mustangs, the install is a in the car under the car in the car under the car routine, but overall, even a caveman could do it.

HSSSSSS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i removed the factory shifter handle, took it to a machine shop. they cut it in half and machined some threads on to the end. short throw shifter and i can install any shoft knob i want. less than 50 bucks plus the cost of the knob.

the only advantage you might get from one of these aftermarket products is the ability to adjust the stops.

i mean really, do you think they put that factory shifter up there like a flag pole and didnt think you would cut it to fit?

Or do as I did. Ripped the shifter out going to 3rd. :omg: Then took it to my welder buddy and had him weld at lower height.:drive: