should i buy this Salvage ReBuilt 98 viper?

borisshnitkin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vehicle had slight damage to front right wheel totalling the $17,000 hood and facia. Has been rebuilt with a Salvage ReBuilt NC Title. the guy is in CHARLOTTE North carolina. i was thinking of flying out there this weekend and checking the car out. anyone in the area can help me to make sure the car is ok to be bought? its a 1998 silver gts with around 25,000 miles. he also said he has a clear title under his name. let me know guys.. i have always wanted a viper.. he is going to let it go for around $22,000

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's pretty cheap assuming the work was done right. You've probably already done this but make sure you can title it in your state. Each state has different regulations concerning bringing a salvage car back into service.

OP
OP
B

borisshnitkin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
anyone in the area of CHARLOTTE North carolina can help me check the car out?

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In the 18 minutes between your two posts I doubt too many people have finished their latte and moved on to VCA forum reading.

I'm one of the few that lives here, and I'm in Texas.

mbccenter

Legacy Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
That is very cheap. Make sure the frame is ok and everything else you should be able to see. Take it to the local Dodge dealer to get checked out up on a hoist. For that price it does not have to be perfect but you don't want a pice of junk either.

OP
OP
B

borisshnitkin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
now i was also looking at more pic and i just noticed that the steering wheel is after market, i guess the airbags did deploy?

OP
OP
B

borisshnitkin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
im trying to copy the link but it doesnt show up. its on autotrader.. 1998 dodge viper
CHARLOTTE , NC 28214

Chrissss

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I know some others disagree but I wouldn't buy a salvage Viper on a dare. Just asking for future problems. Plan on having it forever because in my opinion, resale value would be zip.

OP
OP
B

borisshnitkin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thank you for posting the link. now based of what you see from the pictures and the details is it worth it? i can go there this week and look at it

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the car looks OK in person (the web pics are not very good) and the seller can disclose IN DETAIL the wreck damage and how it was fixed, $23,500.00? Drive it and enjoy it, and don't worry about the resale value.

BTW, definition of IN DETAIL is pics of the damage before repairs, during repairs, receipts for all parts and services with contact info to those person(s). And then call them to verify if you want.

Chrissss

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I absolutely would not buy it based on how it looks in person and what was disclosed. Ignoring what it may be worth later too is foolish. You may want to move up. At minimum I would have the car checked out completely by someone independent. A dealership close by or someone that was recommended to give it a complete look see. It would be well spent money to get an independent evaluation, not what the guy himself tells you. If it then checks out, then go for it. But to just take this guys word or even what he can document is foolish in my opinion. Get it independently checked out. I can't imagine not doing that not only for a Viper, but for any used car, certainly a rebuilt one. Don't let your heart take over your head.

Last edited:

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I absolutely would not buy it based on how it looks in person...

Then how are you proposing this independent expert look at it? Video link?

And you would disregard wreck and repair pics with receipts? Geesh, man, you are rough.

C'mon now, saying go look at it means more that lifting the hood and checking the ashtray for coin. I've seen ads that have enough hi-res pics of the car (100+) that you could skip an on site inspection. But to characterize this potential buyer as a fool and his money looking for a shiny car might not well describe his capabilities or intentions of an inspection. In person.

mad0953

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd also be worried that there is something bad being hidden by that bra. You might have to pay to have a pro look it over but in the long run that's the way to go. Good luck.

Chrissss

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Then how are you proposing this independent expert look at it? Video link?

And you would disregard wreck and repair pics with receipts? Geesh, man, you are rough.

C'mon now, saying go look at it means more that lifting the hood and checking the ashtray for coin. I've seen ads that have enough hi-res pics of the car (100+) that you could skip an on site inspection. But to characterize this potential buyer as a fool and his money looking for a shiny car might not well describe his capabilities or intentions of an inspection. In person.
Yes you look at it, then you have it professionally checked out even if it means having it taken somewhere. Wow, why would you do anything else? Business is rough yes, but even at that price, it's still a lot of money. Having it not professionally checked out is foolish and asking for trouble. Just my opinion but geez, it seems common sense to me!

Last edited:

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if your worried about resale value then pass. It you just want a viper to drive the hell out of, plan on keeping it forever and resale doesnt matter then if it all checks out go for it. If it had frame damage I would pass in either situation.
As some have stated, ask for accident pics and what all was repaired/replaced and who did the work.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess my point is, when I said "If the car looks OK in person," that I suggested who was going to be doing that. Or in the case of my argument here, I suggested nobody's name or position or qualification. Just that if the car looks good by a person looking at it. Then it got decided I couldn't of been talking about anything other than the potential buyer by himself.

Moving past that :)2tu:), I have seen it discussed enough here about salvage cars, and the near immediate reaction is that it must be junk, AVOID!, they are rarely fixed right, and so on.

There are those cases, and they are surely the most vocal. Who complains when they get a sweet deal on a salvage car and everything was just fine? No, you hear about the bad ones. And then salvage cars get generically stereotyped as all bad because of the bad ones you did hear about.

I would with an open mind approach this as maybe it was done properly, as there is nothing in that ad that leads me to a cover up. Even the bra. ***? Maybe he likes the damn bra! Because the car has a salvage title let's assume the bra is hiding something! Whatever.

I think another misconception is that there is something special about a Viper than only a Viper guy can evaluate. It's a car, and if you've been wrenching on cars as a hobby for some time and you are good at it, there is nothing magical about the Viper that hides from you. You get it up in the air just like any car and go over it in detail with your eyeballs looking for the telltale anomalies. And so on.

I wouldn't put this car in the it doesn't add up pile unless there's something you haven't told us yet. Which I doubt.

Chrissss

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just saying get it checked out. No reason not to and many reasons why one shouldn't. Once again....common sense.

BullRider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Speaking from experience here. I've got an '01 RT/10 that I bought salvage and did the repairs myself.

Ensure you can register and insure in your state. My biggest hassle with my car wasn't getting it fixed, but going through the legal obstacle course to get it on the road legally.

Big thing to consider is whether the repairs were done right. If that's true, ask yourself if you'll have it for a long time, because resale will be nil(ish), though the $22K price is pretty good! For that price, get it inspected and if its good, drive the hell out of it with no regrets. The thing that I love most about my car is that I can drive without being scared of rock chips or door dings. Not that I go out of my way looking for them, mind you, but when I get a little nick in the paint, its all good. I know that the value hasn't been lessened. Its a high-end fun car for me.

I've had a few small things pop up, but even non-salvage cars do. Its funny... when you get something go wrong with your car, the naysayers will say, "Yup, told you so!", but when something goes wrong with theirs, they're pretty quiet.

I'd say, "Go for it". Get it inspected properly and nab that deal!

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the repairs were done correctly, the chances are there should be a whole load of photos showing the rebuild process? As long as things have been done right it should be ok, But....Remember its a 180mph car, the last thing you would want is to have it go bad on you at high speed ;)

If you are serious about the car, get it fully checked out, and I dont mean just a test drive! Remember its your life at risk! ;)

Mark
:uk:

OP
OP
B

borisshnitkin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i got an email from the seller and the car was sold tonight.. it ruined my day... i thought i would of been driving a viper already lol.. guess my search will continue

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd say your better off! Keep saving and looking, maybe consider a gen 1. Put enough green in your pocket for a non-salvage car.....

Yours is out there!!