Should the Viper ever have Traction control and/ or any other Gadgets?

Bwright

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bob Lutz obviously said NO COMPROMISE in designing the new Z06.

Another tiresome example of exactly what I meant when I said all too many people around here have more opinions than facts. Bob Lutz most emphatically DID NOT say "no compromise" when it came to the Z06. All U.S. legal series production road cars are the result of inevitable compromises among the wishes of the car company, the reality of the market and the dictates of the relevant regulatory bodies.

Three random compromises acknowledged by the Z06 team are:

1. Its brakes. Carbon ceramic rotors were designed but could not be fitted because they exceeded the $4K cost target so the existing brakes are, for now, a compromise between what they wanted and what the market is believed to be willing to pay

2. The titanium exhaust. Standard on the last Z06 it will not reappear on the new one because the cost of the material went too far north and so took it out of the running. The existing mufflers are the best cost compromise the team could come up with within cost parameters

3. The lightweight plexiglass hatch GM had in mind could not pass GM's scratch-resistance tests and further failed to meet Federal UV allowance tolerances in time for the launch. The existing glass hatch is a necessary engineering compromise.

It's amusing that you further actually mention the "every high tech advantage on the F430" since Amedeo Felisa (Ferrari's Deputy Managing Director) was recently quoted in an interview as saying, in regards to high-tech carbon fiber composites, "the manufacturing cost is prohibitive, except for our very top models." This to address why you don't see this material more extensively used in the F430. Amedeo added that aluminum was the lower-tech choice for their mass models like the F430 because "it is the best solution from the point of view of weight versus performance and acceptable cost." ALL CARS are a compromise. Anyone who tells you differently does not understand the auto business at all.

The Viper guys (same Lutz) said build an emotional car. NOT AN F-22, Not an F-16, not even an F-15(old). BUILD A WWII fighter! Something a real pilot can fly with feeling.

You assume, incorrectly, that emotion and feeling are somehow mutually incompatible with the advancement of technology. I am impressed when I stand next to a WWI Sopwith Camel, I am fond of the Spitfire. But I am rooted to the spot at the mere sight of the SR-71, F-117 or the B2 ATB. Judging from the crowds around some of these modern aircraft at airshows it seems I am not alone.

BTW, would you recommend that all the modern fighters you mentioned above remove their ejection seats because WWI era planes did not have them? You do remember that we are talking about an automotive safety feature here right?

It's not feeble to argue the point Bwright.

The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) and the Highway Loss Data Institute (HLDI) discovered some interesting facts recently. One, that the Dodge Viper, "has the worst overall collision coverage loss experience" among passenger vehicles for the SIX-year period of the nationwide vehicle study. The Institute added that. "The Viper's average loss payment per insured vehicle year, which reflects both the frequency and size of collision claims, is more than seven times the average for all cars. Average loss payments per claim exceed $26,000."

These same institutions later conducted a 2-year study on the efficay of traction/stability systems on the modern automobile. The results showed that "About half of the 28,000 fatal passenger vehicle crashes that occur each year involve a single vehicle. Equipping cars and SUVs with electronic stability control (ESC) can reduce the risk of involvement in these crashes by more than 50 percent. The effect on all single-vehicle crashes (fatal and nonfatal) is somewhat less (about 40 percent)."

I'm sorry but any argument that a few lines of defeatable software code that could potentially save the lives of even 1% (150 people) of the ~15,000 Viper drivers on the road today should not exist in order to pay some imagined tribute to "keepin it real" is making a feeble argument. No Viper driver's life should be that cheap. Not one, not 1%. If anyone wants to "keep it real" then driving a street car of any kind is a pathetic way to try and lay claim to doing so. Go on a a tour of duty in Iraq's most dangerous city. Night ground patrol. Then, if you survive at all, come talk to me about how serious your car makes you.

You (in past posts) seem to really believe there's a better Viper to be built.

Yes, I do. And Dodge backs up that belief with each generation which performs and executes even better than the last.

I'd really like to fly a P-51 Mustang (or even a Sopwith Camel).

As would I but would you like your country to be defended by them in this day and age? So what makes you think that the Viper can continue to fight off the competition with yesterday's technological standards?

Knowing it took a real man with guts to tame the beast, or die.

Check out the grim stats on pilots who have been killed operating modern combat aircraft before you say such things.

An F-22 might fly itself. Like a video game with G-forces.

An F-22 has a limited ability to fly itself and for all intents and purposes (unless you count its automated ECM) does not fight by itself. It still takes a pilot to do the same things that were done in WWI. Make tactical decisions to defeat a similarly equipped airborne enemy who is making a very real effort to kill you and yours. The differences are apparent in technological progress but the mission is the same. And I assure you that the G-forces a Raptor can pull will not feel at all like a video game. They would likely incapacitate a WWI era pilot. As for the mission of the modern fighter, a single cat shot or carrier landing would reduce a WWI era pilot to a babbling mess. Barely subsonic entry into denied territory at 150 - 200 ft. AGL...at night? You would need a straitjacket for them afterward. Technology improves the breed and its capabilities. Not the other way around. Case further in point, a single F-15E Strike Eagle could have sunk half the Japanese fleet that sailed on Pearl Harbor.

BTW, the engine control module on the 1992 RT/10 was more advanced that the entire Cobra that inspired it. It was also in many respects more advanced that spacefaring machines of that past era.

Empirical Data and POV in the same sentence.

:confused:

A POV is another way of saying an opinion and can obviously be backed up by empirical data. For example, I am of the POV that the SRT-10 can outperform the Ferrari Enzo in at least one significant measure of performance and empirical testing by Road and Track confirms and underscores that the SRT-10 in fact does so in a manner that exceeds a statistical probability for error. I am disappointed that the fact that a POV and supporting empirical data go hand in hand had to be explained to anyone.

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First, let me say I like these debates. Seems to be the only interesting thing going on in here.

Second: The bottom line (for me) is that I do want safety features. I want some control over these.

Third: Yes the Viper has evolved into a more refined car, with real windows and a top that works. Under the skin it is still the same beast. A few more ponies, suspension updates and bigger wheels/tires but still basically the same. The two differing opinions are purists vs techno nerds. No offense to the nerd comment, I just see 'you guys' as people who probably don't own a Viper and read a lot! You CAN'T understand every nuance of Viper ownership until you've owned one, for a while. Your first spin, your first kiss, the first time Jackie Fletcher dumps you at the prom. It's kinda like reading about the invasion of Omaha beach on D-day. I read it, I watched the first 20 minutes of Saving Private Ryan, watching Band of Brothers now....still not the same as being there....

VIPR GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
BWRIGHT has many good points. As many others have stated, I would love to be able to have traction control on my car, I would not use it all of the time, but on streets when I am running a little fast it may prove to be of some benefit as opposed to $26,000 in repairs.
Remeber, they added windows, a couple, air conditioning, power windows and power locks, CD players and then anti lock brakes, no one really felt that these technologies ruined our bare bones performance cars. We don't want all of the gadgets, but some may be nice.

BadVenm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Xanadu,

Thanks for trying to explain. I say this at the risk of firing you up all over again which is not my intention as it was last time. On the same hand I don't want to be painted in the wrong light, so I do want to clear up one mis-statement, and then hopefully the bickering is over.

I think it was in a post to Cris, where you said that you were attacked for, or because of your Christianity.

I want you and others to understand that you were not attacked for, or because of your Christianity.

Your Christianity was called into question because your statements came off as condescending and insulting as if to have a superior opinion or an opinion that should be valued more than your fellow man's, and that kind of behavior is un-Christian like.

Being attacked for, and being called into question, are two different things.

And that's all I have to say about that....(in my best Forest Gump voice)

________________________________________________________________________________

Dirk said...

My point was, that for several reasons, DC will be putting the gadgets on. Some people will like and some won't. I just expect that is the way it is going to be.

Dirk

Yes, no question, you are correct on that point, as you have been on many others.

And you know what, in time when some of the new things come out on the car, even some of us nay-sayers might say - WOW, cool, why didn't I think of that! Which, if its seat warmers they come out with, I most likely won't be saying WOW, cool.

One aspect I need to be more cognizant about is the daily driver factor. I'm blind to that, sometimes to a fault. I need to be more aware of the needs for the car in that application. If I lived in the right part of the US, I would want to drive my Viper everyday, therefore my thoughts then could be radically different.

Once again Dirk, something you have posted has sparked some insight, then some thought into this empty head of mine that was stuck on the one track that it has.

A P-51 or even a tri-plane, how cool would that be?!!!!! When you get one, call me, I'm there! :2tu:

xanadu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Xanadu,

Thanks for trying to explain. I say this at the risk of firing you up all over again which is not my intention as it was last time. On the same hand I don't want to be painted in the wrong light, so I do want to clear up one mis-statement, and then hopefully the bickering is over.

I think it was in a post to Cris, where you said that you were attacked for, or because of your Christianity.

I want you and others to understand that you were not attacked for, or because of your Christianity.

Your Christianity was called into question because your statements came off as condescending and insulting as if to have a superior opinion or an opinion that should be valued more than your fellow man's, and that kind of behavior is un-Christian like.

Being attacked for, and being called into question, are two different things.

And that's all I have to say about that....(in my best Forest Gump voice)

Hey Bud, err Pal, err . . . How bout Friend?

Thanks Ryck. Like I said, I'm just not perfect, and being a Christian won't make me that way unfortunately. But I didn't mean to come across that way at all. So glad we have cleared up the air.

Now, Dude, don't go knocking ole Forest. That's may favorite movie! I'm just teasing, I'm kidding, I'm kidding.

Peace Bro.

Xanadu (thanks to RUSH for the name)
dah nah nah nah nah nah naow nah nah, dah nah nah nah nah nah nah I get up at seven, yeah, And I go to work at nine. I got no time for livin',Yes, I'm workin' all the time. It seems to me I could live my life, A lot better than I think I am. I guess that's why they call me, They call me the working man. dah nah nah nah nah nah nah nah . . . .

Oh yeah, God Bless.

Viperized

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have finally gotten to drive my new Viper after my little mishap. It really gave me a negative feeling about the car and even made me want to get rid of it. All this has changed. I really love it. If I hit it hard the rear slides out a little but can be brought back. I dont know what caused it to freak out like it did the first day I got it but I am definitely suspicious of the armorall. I was at the dealer today to order floor mats ( no floor mats included for 85G?)and I noticed that all of the cars on the floor had tires whose side wall and contact surfaces were covered with Armorall. You have to be aware of the car and your mind cannot wander but the nature of the car is to keep your attention. I plan to use the car as my everyday transporation as long as it isnt snowing. I cant wait to get back in it. I still believe that the defeatable t/c would not be a bad thing expecially after a long day at work when your mind is a little more fuzzy. I ordered a set of non runflat tires to try out. After seeing the RF's off the car and how hard they are I decided to try non RF's. I will let everyone know the effect.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang