Side sills

Forged Horsemen

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know this is asked a lot, and I apologize in advance for the question. But, how do i remove my side sills on my GTS? Since it's hibernating in the garage I figured I would remove the sills clean them up on the bottom and wax them, and while I'm at it check the catalitic converter to cat back exhaust band clamp to see if it's lose. Since I can here what sounds like an exhaust leak on the passenger side of the car by the cat area. I think the guy I had install this Mopar exhaust for me, I think did not thighten the band clamp in that area well. And since I have emailed him about this already and he never bothers to answer me, I guess I'm stuck with taking care of this myself. Anyway that's another story and only the tip of the iceberg regarding problems with work on my car by this outfit, live and learn... Any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks.

OP
OP
F

Forged Horsemen

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the compliment, Cherm. And thanks for the info. I'll give it a shot this weekend.
smile.gif

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The sills are retained with SCREWS,not bolts.

Regarding the plastic caps/plugs.

The EASIEST way to remove them is to drill a 1/16 hole in the center and to use a pick to remove them.

Just buy some new one at ANY DC dealer (not Dodge only)

Part # is: 4848881-AA and cost is $ 1.70 (full retail)

Luc.00GTS

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why drill them. Slide a thin blade pocket knife under them and lift. No damge and they come right out.

OP
OP
F

Forged Horsemen

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Was able to remove my side sill today on the passenger side where I here the exhaust leak. After removing it I fired up the car and heard what apeared to be a leak by the band clamp by the factory header by that fabric material section of the exhaust. It was not really lose, but I still was able to give it about 5 or six yanks with the wrench until I could not tighten it anymore. I was concerned I would break the clamp. Is it me or do all these cars sound like they have an exhaust leak when they are idleing. I'll have to wait until the summer and listen to another Viper. Another thing with my car is I think it idles a bit low with the Mopar computer. The RPM guage reads on the first line after zero when it warms up,maybe a little under that.

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have you removed the cats or the headers before? My manual states that the band clamp at the flex pipe is a one time use only and must be replaced after it is removed.

OP
OP
F

Forged Horsemen

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No, the cats or headers have never been removed, I just had a Mopar cat back exhuast installed by somebody that was recomended to me by my regional club. So, he should'nt have messed around with the anything past the cats. But I found some signs that they were not the most carefull with my car. Screws on the sills were basically hand thightened and some other worst stuff that I'm not going to mention since it would be hard to prove. But I know it happened there. Some members here know how carefull and picky I am about my car, and I know accidents happen but I would know if it was me. Anyway,I digress. The band clamps by th flex hose I'm assuming were not removed. But since I can get the man to answer my emails I can't say for sure.

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Forged Horsemen:
Another thing with my car is I think it idles a bit low with the Mopar computer. The RPM guage reads on the first line after zero when it warms up,maybe a little under that.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm pretty sure that all Vipers idle at 400 RPM, not 100% though.

Craig