Silver State Race Report. (Long w/ pics) 4 Wayne

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
http://vca1.viperclub.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/003525.html
. Www.silverstateclassic.com is the place to check out, get info, etc.

Well,

Wayne, Now you’ve let it out. I can give a bit of info on the great fun it was and how well TEAM VIPER did in this race. The Viper motto was “GO FAST OR GO HOME”. Team Captain Roger Morgan guided TEAM VIPER to 8 trophies and 2nd place in the team competition in what was the best Viper Turnout so far for this event. Yes, Susan & I were rookies and due to some great navigation from her got within .006 mph of our target speed so we’re still feeling pretty great.

Chris Osborn and Eric Maddox took first place in the 150; Bill Bagshaw and Chuck Johnston took second in the 145 mph class; and best of all, NO Vipers crashed!

Most of the Vipers there were from Southern Cal and it was a lot of fun to spend some time with them. Big thanks to Roger Morgan for putting together a successful team effort. Bill Bagshaw for some great tips and notes on how to run so close to the target time. Hugh Hoard and Craig Allen will make sure any event is a fun time. Doug Dye and Tim O’Cain intensely competitive and having fun. Father & Son teams of the Baxters and Keatings. Husband & Wife teams like the Chilcotes and Whitemans.

Wayne (Bad Viper) tore it up in the 150 mph class in his all Black on Black modified Twin Turbo Porsche but we all know that he’s a Viper guy at the core. No doubt when he runs his future Comp Coupe at this event he steal the show as well as several “choice” trophies.

For those not familiar with it, the Silver State Challenge is an open road race where they close the road for one day of high speed, legal fun. This particular race is on highway 318 in Nevada and holds the Public Highway Land Speed Record. The highest AVERAGE speed on 318 is 207.78 mph.

The event is not just a one day race, but several days of having fun times. While we have been in track events that let us peak at some high speeds it was a different experience altogether to sustain triple digit speeds for 90 miles. It is for sure worth participating in regardless of the speed class. Sign up early for the race May 2003 , get plugged into the Team Viper program and get ready to fly.

Tech - We got there and noticed entrants putting on their car numbers, etc. and most people had water bottles and a squeegee. Fortunately, people were great to share these items with us and give tips on getting them on bubble-free. That pretty well set the tone for the weekend as everyone was friendly, full of smiles, and having a good time. That attitude is contagious and a nice relaxer for the rookies, especially.

On the way to Ely there is an optional tour of the Shelby museum and factory just North of Vegas. Gary Patterson gives a great tour of the place where the Series One and Cobras (in several configurations) are being made.

Next we all meet up at the school parking lot in Ely. Racers gather there to form a parade through the town. Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts, etc. are there all excited and asking to ride in the “race cars” for the parade.

Saturday was the display of cars in the park and there was ample time to check out the cars, torque the lugs, and just hang out and talk with people. Cars in the race were an old Corvair that was teched at 180 mph, to a Mustang with a parachute, to Opel GT, to Ferrari 360's, and everything in between. Dave Golder had his Pontiac Grand Prix (the orange Tony Stewart NASCAR) for running in the unlimited class but it got too windy for those high speeds and he didn't run. That night the Viper Team has dinner and goes over final tips for the race.

Sunday it’s up at dawn to head to the pre-grid. No small task for 150 or so cars. Get to the starting line and see the massive tire marks from the burnout Hugh Hoard left. Hmmm, Maybe next time. Watch the lights go from yellow to green and we’re off. Gauges read normal and the temp stayed left of 190 degrees the whole time. Amazing what a steady flow of high speed air through the radiator can do. After seventy miles we’re behind our time by about a minute and have to step it up a bit. This is just as we come to the canyon known as the “narrows” where we had hoped to be ahead a bit so we could take it easy the rest of the way. No problem, the Viper tracked great and after the narrows we ran up near our tech speed and made up time pretty quick. Two miles from the end of the race we are right where we want to be time wise. I hold speed and Susan counts the seconds off ( . . . . 21 - 22 - 23 - 24 - 25) as we approach the checkered flag at the finish line. It was a blur and rush as we hit the line right as she’s saying “25" but didn’t stop the watch until we’re slowing so we’ll have to wait for the official results. The rest of the Viper Team are there with big smiles to congratulate us (or make sure we actually made it).

Head on back to Vegas for the awards banquet and more fun.

You must be registered for see images

Team Viper success

Mr. Bad Viper (Highly Modified TT) Comp Coupe on order.
Captain Roger and the TEAM VIPER AWARD

<FONT COLOR="#ff0000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by Marv S on 05-30-2002 at 04:24 PM</font>

OP
OP
Marv S

Marv S

VCA Officer
Reaction score

<FONT COLOR="#ff0000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by Marv S on 05-23-2002 at 04:08 PM</font>

OP
OP
Marv S

Marv S

VCA Officer
Reaction score
The Rookies at Pre Grid:

TECH TIME:

FINISH PITS:

And, VIPER GROUPIES:

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Marv S:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Um, uh...hmmm, uh there's a couple things I REALLY like about this picture.

So when is the next Silver State???

Dave Golder

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was to be the first car off in the unlimited division. My self and the other two "fast" unlimited cars chose not to run because we had constant winds at 40 mph with gusts over 60 mph. Having already averaged 199 on the road... no sense in going slower and risk killing yourself. The other unlimiteds that decided to run all broke.

Sniper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey, Marv, nice pics!!!

Were you the guy about a year and a half ago that was looking for a Viper for me? I was looking for a 94 or 95 with A/C.

OP
OP
Marv S

Marv S

VCA Officer
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Matt Kovac:
Hey, Marv, nice pics!!!
Were you the guy about a year and a half ago that was looking for a Viper for me? I was looking for a 94 or 95 with A/C.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Matt,

That could be. We may have also talked on some issues on a car you bought out here that had prior "problems". http://vca1.viperclub.org/ubb/Forum14/HTML/006870.html

How did that end up?

Sniper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nothing came out of it. I mean, after all was said and done, what would I end up with after a lawsuit? The car had minimal damage in the front end, body shop said about 3 inches back from front of frame was the only damage.