Skipshift is gone. Any explanation?

Parisianviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had my SVS shifter installed (the transmission was lowered), I had the differential changed with 3,55 gears, I had the speedo calibration box installed.
The car works great but no more skipshift, no more arrow light in first gear.:confused:
I checked the solenoid, it's in place and in good shape.
The arrow light works fine when you turn the ignition key.
The skipshift solenoid control wire is on the PCM C3 , therefore untouched by the soldering on C1 and C2 for the speedo box.

What happened then? It's no big deal but I'd like to understand.
Any ideas?

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
And the problem is?

Count your blessings.

Wire may have broke when tranny was lowered.

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I doubt you broke a wire..

The skip shift only works when several scenarios are present. Car must be operating temperature (170+), car must be going between 12-18mph(not sure thats exact, but close), AND the rpms must be below 2,000(again, not sure thats exact, but you get my point)..

So...... my guess is, when you changed the speedo box, and rear end gears. Your car no longer meets all that criteria, AT THE SAME TIME.. Hence, no more shift light...

Its weird, in my Z06, this light was on ALL THE TIME..... But in the Viper, very rarely comes on. My car is all stock too..

Detlef

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a similar experience when I changed from stock to 3.73 rears. It is now very difficult to get the light to come on, not impossible, just more difficult. I suspect what Taximan talked about is the cause., i.e: not meeting all the conditions.

OP
OP
P

Parisianviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I doubt you broke a wire..

The skip shift only works when several scenarios are present. Car must be operating temperature (170+), car must be going between 12-18mph(not sure thats exact, but close), AND the rpms must be below 2,000(again, not sure thats exact, but you get my point)..

So...... my guess is, when you changed the speedo box, and rear end gears. Your car no longer meets all that criteria, AT THE SAME TIME.. Hence, no more shift light...

Its weird, in my Z06, this light was on ALL THE TIME..... But in the Viper, very rarely comes on. My car is all stock too..

I had a similar experience when I changed from stock to 3.73 rears. It is now very difficult to get the light to come on, not impossible, just more difficult. I suspect what Taximan talked about is the cause., i.e: not meeting all the conditions.

Thanks a lot, that sounds like a reasonable explanation, not that I miss it but I wanted to make sure nothing was screwed up by my mechanic.:smirk: