SL55 or keep my '96 GTS?

KenricGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SL55 or keep my \'96 GTS?

Has anyone had a SL55? I love my B/W GTS it is perfect, but someone has a 2k mile 03 55 I was thinking about. I would still have my SRT VCA. My parents have a SL500 and it is beautiful but not as cool looking as the GTS. The 55 people tell me it runs strong for a lux sports tourer. Anyways let me know what you guys think.

sween

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: SL55 or keep my \'96 GTS?

i would say wait, keep you gts. MB are redesining all of there cars. the better one will be out soon (08?)

Mach10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

This is a tough one. I have driven the SL55 several times and both cars are beautiful but are very different.
Since you already have a Viper, i say get the SL55. :2tu:

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'd say get the SL55 and keep the SRT-10 Best of both worlds

shortybighead

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I almost bought the SL55 myself but the one thing that kept me away was the fun factor of being able to shift through the gears because all of the MB's are automatics!

05RedSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have an SL600 with Renntech ECU mods. The car is a hair quicker than my 2005 stock Srt-10 in staightline, and a ton easier to drive fast. It's also a hardtop convertible with every kind of option. As an everyday car it is way easier to manage than the Viper. But the Viper draws way more attention and takes a lot of skill to drive. It's also a stick shift which is always fun. The Viper is cheaper in price and cheaper to insure. If I had to choose between the 2 I would pick the SL600, but thank goodness I dont have to choose, because I love them both. By the way I test drove the SL55 before making my decision on which to get out of that and the SL600. The SL55 has a more muscle car exhaust sound and supercharger whine, the SL600 has a very smooth twin turbo V12 with endless power and more options. You cant go wrong with any SL or any Viper. Do whatever you can to have at least 1 of each.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The SL55 is a VERY nice car. Personally out of the two cars I would take the SL55 and keep the SRT. You can have the best of both worlds. The SL55 is fast and a nice looking car let alone allowed to be a VERY nice daily driver. I had a 2001 SL500 and absolutly loved it but make sure you get an extended warranty if you plan to have the car for a while. A Mercedes is VERY EXPENSIVE TO FIX. I can tell you stories! By the way, if you do not mind me asking, what color is the car and how much is he asking.

Big Medicine

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I say push the gts off a cliff & collect on the insurance money, then buy whatever you want.

One less 96 GTS.

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I think it a tough one. I know the SL55 is a great car but in a few years it an old car because MB will come out with a newer, better looking SL. The Viper is a rare world class muscle car that 10 –20 yrs from now these car will be cooler than they are today.

Good luck, I was going through the same problem a few months back. I stayed with the C side of DC.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Isnt the Sl600 a normally aspirated V12 while the SL65 is the twin turbo V12?

05RedSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

No, the SL600 is a twin turbo V12 as well, it just says "V12" on the side instead of "Twin Turbo V12" on the side like the SL65. The engine size is what varies

Straight from the MBUSA website:

SL600: Twin-turbocharged 5.5L 36-valve V-12 engine
SL65: Twin-turbocharged 6.0L SOHC 36-valve V-12 engine

Although the stock SL600 really has more like 540+ horsepower, Mercedes doesnt want to hurt their AMG sales so they rate the stock SL600 and the SL55 horsepower the same at 493. With the Renntech ECU/transmission computer upgrades ($6000) the SL600 has 625 horsepower and 750 torque. The SL65 is rated at 604 horsepower and 738 torque.

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score

No, the SL600 is a twin turbo V12 as well, it just says "V12" on the side instead of "Twin Turbo V12" on the side like the SL65. The engine size is what varies

Straight from the MBUSA website:

SL600: Twin-turbocharged 5.5L 36-valve V-12 engine
SL65: Twin-turbocharged 6.0L SOHC 36-valve V-12 engine

Although the stock SL600 really has more like 540+ horsepower, Mercedes doesnt want to hurt their AMG sales so they rate the stock SL600 and the SL55 horsepower the same at 493. With the Renntech ECU/transmission computer upgrades ($6000) the SL600 has 625 horsepower and 750 torque. The SL65 is rated at 604 horsepower and 738 torque.

If I had the cash I'd be all over an sl600 :eek:

OP
OP
K

KenricGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Devildog thats funny! I should do that instead! I drove my GTS today and I don't think I could part with it! It is temping though. I need more garage space, I just love Vipers and all things automotive. The car I was looking at is sliver with all options and is an '03 with 2k miles. He wanted 100k. The SL600 sounds smooth, my buddy had the SL65, but sold it and got a GT. Thanks for the responses guys.

SteveBCloud9

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I've owned/rented both and both the exact years. It depends on your taste... I like to refer to the Viper as an old muscle car feel... The SL is refined and has more gadgets that can break... I had my SL just 8 months and I replaced an entire headlight assembly, had a couple of "programming" recals... some other smaller issues but it didn't "excite" me to get into it nor would anyone admire the car from afar (if that's your thing). I'd ditch both and buy a Turbo 911 or the new Ford GT.. :)

VOI9 ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'm trying to make my mind up right now between the SL500, SL55 and SL600 to replace our CL500.

Mach10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'm trying to make my mind up right now between the SL500, SL55 and SL600 to replace our CL500.

Go for the SL55..... It has the Alcantara leather around the dash...
Not sure if the SL600 has it but the SL500 doesn't... Nice little touch IMO. Plus a supercharger.. :2tu:

OP
OP
K

KenricGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yea I am impressed with the new Ford GT. I raced my one in my GTS all motor and my GTS was right there. Fender to fender if we had more road I think he would have pulled me. When we hit 3rd the GT was starting to pull on me a little. Overall I was impressed with my Classic GTS. I thought the GT would have wasted me. :eek:

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Two totally different cars!
My ol man has a SL55 and when him and I cruise together, he's always pissed that even though he paid almost twice as much as I did I still get most of that looks.
Oh and I hand him his ass whenever I like.
Sweet car, just like talking apples and oranges though!

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score

Yea I am impressed with the new Ford GT. I raced my one in my GTS all motor and my GTS was right there. Fender to fender if we had more road I think he would have pulled me. When we hit 3rd the GT was starting to pull on me a little. Overall I was impressed with my Classic GTS. I thought the GT would have wasted me. :eek:

I'm surprised you couldn't pull the GT with the power you're running. Those GT's must be way under rated at 550 HP or it was modded. :confused:

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'm surprised you couldn't pull the GT with the power you're running. Those GT's must be way under rated at 550 HP or it was modded. :confused:

Jim, He said he was all motor running the GT. Likely running nitrous to get his posted numbers.

96GTS232

Enthusiast
Reaction score

i also own a '96 gts(stock;2600 miles);my previous car was a sl500 amg sport..not as fast as a sl55,but it moved none the less..if your not looking to keep the '96 for it's collector value,then buy the sl55....my sl500 was the best car i ever owned(smooth ride,awesome power,well built and very sleek looking)..not much more expensive for upkeep than the viper is...good luck;can't lose either way!!!

VOI9 ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have a GT and was told by someone that worked on the GT development team that they are way underated. I can't dyno mine until I have some miles clocked. Mine is still brand new with only about 60 miles on it.

EXECMALIBU

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I HAD A 2001 RT-10 THAT D/C DECIDED THAT RATHER THEN FIX THE MOTOR THEY PREFERED TO REFUND ALL OF MY $$$ AND CRUSH THE CAR..

DAMN SHAME!! TO WASTE AN AMAZING CAR!....

WHILE WAITING FOR ANOTHER VIPER OR SOMETHING ELSE AS INTERESTING AS A VIPER I BOUGHT A 2003 SL55..

WITH A FEW MINOR MODS (FILTERS AND CHIP) THE SL55 IN NEARLY AS FAST AS THE RT-10 VIPER BUT NOT AS RAW...

I LOVE THE LOOKS OF BOTH CARS BUT THE VIPER BEING BASICALLY A LIMITED PRODUCTION CAR GETS ALOT MORE ATTENTION.. IF THERE WERE LESS SL500.SL600 AND SL55s THEN I THINK THEY MIGHT GET MORE ATTENTION ALSO..

I HAVE DRIVEN BOTH CARS TO THEIR LIMIT..

AND THE VIPER CAN BE DRIVEN ALOT HARDER AND FASTER THROUGH TIGHT CANYON ROADS THEN THE SL55 WHICH TENDS TO WASH OUT THE FRONT END ( UNDERSTEER).. THE SL55 IS MUCH HEAVIER (4.400LBS) AND YOU FEEL IT, BUT ONLY IN VERY FAST TURNS..

THE SL55 IS MUCH MORE DRIVER FRIENDLY BUT CANT BE PUSHED TO THE EXTREME OR AS FAR AS THE VIPER BUT OVERALL THE SL55 IS AN AMAZING CAR!!..

NOW IF YOU WANT OVER THE TOP INSANE PERFORMANCE TRY THE SL65!

604HP STOCK!

IF YOU CAN HOOK THE SL65 UP IT WOULD BE EMBARASSING GETTING SMOKED AT THE DRAGS IN A VIPER BY GRANDPA IN HIS MBZ..

( REMEMBER WHEN SOME OF YOU VIPER GUYS SAID THAT NO CAR COMPANY WOULD EVER BUILD A CAR WILL MORE THEN 500HP..)

AS FOR SERVICE... REMEMBER THAT BOTH CARS ARE D/C PRODUCTS..

BRING THE SL55 IN FOR SERVICE AND THEY GIVE YOU A BRAND NEW MBZ AS A LOANER CAR..

THEY FIX THE CAR IN A DAY OR TWO AND CALL YOU TO ADVISE YOU THAT THEY FIXED EVERYTHING YOU COMPLAINED ABOUT.. AND ANYTHING ELSE THEY FOUND THAT WAS WRONG!!

WHEN YOU PICK UP YOU SL55 THE CAR IS FULL DETAILED AT NO CHARGE!

DROP OFF YOUR VIPER AND YOU ARE LUCKY TO GET ANYTHING ON THE CAR FIXED.. AND A FREE DETAIL OR LOANER CAR..

YEAH RIGHT!!

MY VIPER HAD A NEW DOOR DING AFTER BEING PARKED NEXT TO A MINI-VAN.. (SIR "THAT CHIP WAS THERE BEFORE"..)

I MUST ADMIT THAT RECENTLY THE SRT-10 HAS STARTED TO LOOK REALLY GOOD ESPECIALLY IN THE NEW BLUE.. ( I NEVER REALLY LIKED THE SRT BEFORE)..

VOI9 ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SL55AMG

Just took delivery of our 06 SL55 AMG. Thanks DC! What a great car.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: SL55AMG

Just took delivery of our 06 SL55 AMG. Thanks DC! What a great car.

AMG's, SRT Coupes, Ford GT's - you are going to run out or marquees pretty soon Jerry! :2tu: Congrats on the, um, newer than the other two new cars!

BTW, did you ever find a buyer for the Comp Coupe? Hopefully Chuck is readying it for his part of the time share... ;)

VOI9 ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: SL55AMG

That's it for me for a while... I hope

The CC guys have become very quiet...