Sluggish Driver Window: 06 Coupe

ViperDad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I open the door the window is not quite fast enough to drop so that it hits/scrapes the top seal area. It's a challenge to remember to open the door slowly. More times than not the window gets a slight deflection because of my yanking the door open faster than it drops. Is there a solution? Thanks, Max

kennyhemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's your window regulator. And it will only get worse over time. It cost 600.00 new plus labor.

Art 138

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is an adjustment,but in most cases the entire unit (window slides and all) needs to be changed. Contact Viper Parts of America....as of yesterday they had one in stock (drivers side). Inasmuch as I recently had mine changed, the auction part you cite does not look like the OEM unit. If not in warranty the dealer will charge you over 1 thousand dollars for labor parts. If you get a used one, ensure that the cable housing (white tube) is not broken. The housing comes as a sealed unit between window slide and motor/regulator. Final GTS was working on replacing the housing with a better unit. Send him a PM.

bmw2nv2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep sounds like you need a computer update. The newer 08-up vipers dont have the slight hesitation the 06-back have when opening the door. Or could be a regulator but Id try a comoputer update first.

Reaction score
In car door closed, roll window down and hold the switch for 8-10 seconds. roll up and do the same. This will re calibrate the window drop. If that does not work there is a small adjustment to the back edge of the window under the inner panel. You may find that the window has slipped from the pre set and you can adjust back to normal there.

bmw2nv2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OH maybe thats what needs to be done. I just know that my 04 and one of my 06's the windows had a hesitation before dropping. But my other 06(newer build date) and my 08 the window drops the split second you press the door handle.

OP
OP
V

ViperDad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In car door closed, roll window down and hold the switch for 8-10 seconds. roll up and do the same. This will re calibrate the window drop. If that does not work there is a small adjustment to the back edge of the window under the inner panel. You may find that the window has slipped from the pre set and you can adjust back to normal there.
Just did the switch idea but no effect. Does the car need to be running? I just turned the key to energize but not run.

bmw2nv2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another thing I noticed with the windows in my 04 and older 06 the windows would roll up very quickly when closing the doors. Almost too quickly so they would hit the roof but with the newer 06 and 08 they have a small wait period before rolling up. Maybe this is part of the computer update. Does your windows roll up really quickly when you close the door or is there a short half second pause before rolling up?

Reaction score
I guess try and have someone remove the door panel and check the set screw I mentioned. If that is not it then it will be an expensive repair and with the QC on the regulators even that could be a crap shoot so save the receipts if you have to pay for it.

bmw2nv2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dang maybe I should buy an aftermarket warranty. Heck if both regulators go out that alone will pay for the warranty :(

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Might be worth a shot - What was the sequence to have the regulator relearn the top of the door position? I'd search, but I'm a little lazy right now.

kennyhemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess try and have someone remove the door panel and check the set screw I mentioned. If that is not it then it will be an expensive repair and with the QC on the regulators even that could be a crap shoot so save the receipts if you have to pay for it.
Word of warning...if you are not careful when removing the door panel and damage the plastic sweep it will cost you an extra grand to replace the door panel as you have to buy the entire door panel. They will not sell you the sweep by itself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang