small puddle of antifreeze on intake manifold

Rays94RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Started smelling antifreeze while driving recently. Checked antifreeze level, maybe a quart low after several trips. no puddles under car in garage. I continue to smell antifreeze, after further investigation noticed small pool of antifreeze on the rear section of the intake manifold. Any ideas? seems to be a very slow leak, what are the common suspects in that area?

v/r
Ray

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
very common - the thermostat is in a housing with one leg to each side, just like the intake manifold. The gaskets leak. If you are clever and ambitious, you can change the gaskets without removing the intake (must remove the wiper arms and cowl cover.) Others swear it's quicker to remove the intake.

If the thermostat housing gaskets are leaking, it could be that all your intake manifold bolts are loose, too. Buy the torx female (I think) sockets and re-tighten them.

GTSDave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yup, sounds like thermostat housing... Very common problem on GenI's.

I did mine recently and have to say that I could not see how it could be done without removing the manifold, despite what I'd heard, I did try, but couldn't get the thermostat housing out with the manifold in place.. My personal opinion is that even if it can be done, it is substantially easier to do without the manifold in place, and makes everything alot easier to get to.
I was having cold sweats removing the manifold as it was all new to me, but it turned out to be alot easier than I had first thought.

Chuck Tator can supply the new gasket kits. :headbang:

Good luck and all the best :2tu:

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As above have said...
Very common on Gen1's. While your there might as well change the thermostate....

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ensure you chase the housing bolts threads and apply a little atv silicone while re-installing. Definitly replace the thermostat and don't buy a cheap one. Call Tator and get everything at a 20% discount, free shipping, no tax.

OP
OP
R

Rays94RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I was hoping that it was something like that. Contact info for Tator?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine