Smooth tubes? opinions needed

troyrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went with the tubes from Roe racing because I wanted red. It doesn't matter where you get them. Mopar has a bend in them so they fit more "naturally." I know some guys have even bought large radiator hose($25.00) and cut it to fit! Also, the Roe tubes are made of silicon and come in red and black. Very pretty!

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's someone, maybe Cragin, selling the red ones with the bend like Mopar but at 75% off their price.

I'd like them in black like that but Mopar ones are the only option now to get black with the bend.

nfelmlee

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jonb at partsrack.com has chrome tubes... worked out great for me.

-nick

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Roe! Order the tubes and the S&B air filter package. Best buy and S&B's are best fitting/flowing filters bar none.
Sorry guys, I've been the K&N route and my buddy is using K&N's and replacing clips on a regular bases like I use to.

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Also, not knocking the guys that have, but I have also done the rad hose tube deal. Don't waste your time, just do it right the first time. You'll do it eventually anyway.

troyrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yea I agree ↑! Do it right the first time. Also, go with the s&b's. I hade to shave the rubber on my K&N's to make them fit. Pain in the BUUTAAY.

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jonb at partsrack.com has chrome tubes... worked out great for me.

-nick
Comments on the tubes PR has.

1) 3" in diameter so nice if you run big throttle bodies as you just use a straight hose coupling rather than reduction on the t-body end. Hose-only tubes do not allow this flexibility.

2) odd thing about them being 3" is that the are much bigger ID that either the air-box outlets of the stock throttle bodies. Probably does not mean much, but it is kind of odd.

3) I think the metal tubes are WAY too long. I cut two full inches off of mine in order to keep them from being jammed into the air-box and throttle bodies. When I put a big thick radiator in I had to move the air-box back so I cut off another inch. Now there is about an inch of metal tube showing between the silicone couplers (they are not the ones that came with the tubes BTW).

You must be registered for see images

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Look at the inside of your stock tube and you'll get it. Restricts airflow with all the ridges.

diabolos88

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i got the K&N carbon fiber kit. had the chrome tubes and previously the silicon red smooth tubes. K&N's are far crisper response in my opinion.

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Roe! Order the tubes and the S&B air filter package. Best buy and S&B's are best fitting/flowing filters bar none.
Sorry guys, I've been the K&N route and my buddy is using K&N's and replacing clips on a regular bases like I use to.
I had to shave my gen I housing to fit the K&Ns, but I've had no similar issue on my gen II - no clips lost, etc. For that matter, I had lost clips on my gen I *before* I put the K&N's on. Just another data point....

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chad, More airflow equals more hp.

The K/N filters work fine if you remove the clips (when the car is warm, don't do it when cold and snap the plastic tab on the box or you will be screwed) lay them flat, tap them with a hammer to lenghten them just a tad, not flat, works perfect.

Chad, Email me because I have a set of chrome red tubes in perfect condition if you are interested.

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Why can't K&N just make filters that fit? I've tried talking to those a-holes with no satisfaction.
BTW my buddy's car is a GENII.

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the info 95 Viper. If I go with the smooth tubes what type improvements would I see? More HP, engine runs cooler, etc.?

10hp min! That's the only diff in an ACR(460hp) and a GTS/RT(450hp).

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I noticed a drop in performance when adding the Parts Rack style chrome tubes that are 3" with silicone reducers to 2.5".

I thought maybe the added volume ahead of the TBs might help some, but the first drive out I could sense the difference.

Not a surprise. The change in tube size is just as disturbing to flow (if not more so) as it swells from 2.5"- 3" as the OEM tubes with the ripples.

Torque was down as was time in each gear between shifts at WOT. My brain was saying go, my butt was saying SLOW.

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Why can't K&N just make filters that fit? I've tried talking to those a-holes with no satisfaction.
BTW my buddy's car is a GENII.
K&N's fit on my '00 RT/10 without any problems or modifications. Perhaps they have listened, as I do recall having problems getting them in my '95.

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
10hp min! That's the only diff in an ACR(460hp) and a GTS/RT(450hp).
Actually, 11 hp :cool: on a gen 1. I put K&N's on my '95 between dyno runs, while it was still strapped to the dyno. Went from 357 peak hp to 368 peak hp. Whole curve was translated up around 11 hp (well, less on the really low rpms, but you get the idea).