Snake-Oyl Chin Guard

jwolf

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I installed the Snake-Oyl chin Guard today and wasn't real happy with the looks of fit, Aluminum end just kind of poked out and I felt the could hit a the curb and not protect anything only make it worse. So I modified it.
I put just a small bend, just past the foam pads and sanded off the sharp edge on the top of the front. I also put a sharper bend at the stock front bend point so the pad contacts the valance.
Very happy with the fit now. I know with the scratches my Viper already has, putting it on is like closing the door after the horse is out but it make me feel better.

Attachments

• DSCN0662.jpg
    DSCN0662.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 61
  • DSCN0663.jpg
    DSCN0663.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 108
  • DSCN0664.jpg
    DSCN0664.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 73
  • DSCN0669.jpg
    DSCN0669.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 93
  • marked.JPG
    marked.JPG
    91.2 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It'll keep you from getting more of 'em! Looks fine to me.

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did exactly the same adjustments to mine when I had my Gen 1. I also painted it the color of the car and I also put some foam pads near the end (also painted). It blended in perfectly and took the abuse my newly painted front fascia would have. The Gen 3 seems higher and not as prone to scapes... So it seems...

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought about doing this, but figured you would be able to see the chin guard. Is it really noticeable??

OP
OP
J

jwolf

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought about doing this, but figured you would be able to see the chin guard. Is it really noticeable??

You can barely see it but I need to move the one side back a little and you won't see it at all.
I installed it when the Viper was on the ground so I did it by feel and I notice in my pictures it is not on straight.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That thing looks ridiculous.

A better option IMO for protecting the chin with a couple more benefits like looking cool and providing downforce would be to put on a Front Splitter

97snk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've that exact guard that I don't need anymore, 60 shipped anyone? I got a splitter made instead...

steve911

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That thing looks ridiculous.

A better option IMO for protecting the chin with a couple more benefits like looking cool and providing downforce would be to put on a Front Splitter

I dont know if Agree with that personally. The cost of repairs to a $1000 plus carbon fiber front splitter that has been bashed a bit are way more expensive than the sacrificial aluminum piece that Snake-Oyl sells.

I am in the process of repairing 4 different splitters from members that have seen better days. You could almost call me Splitters -R-Us.

Steve A.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve911,

Aluminum is better option for durability, and ABS plastic would be nice and cheap(easy to replace) if you were doing a shorter less functional one.

I'd personally stay away from fiberglass/carbonfiber as my viper is 1"lower than stock and i drive on a variety of roads.

notixplz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How does a chin guard UNDER the car save a splitter IN FRONT of the car?

My splitter scrape here. Chin guard would do nothing.

You must be registered for see images

Good to know...also Dave clear you inbox lol I am trying to PM you, thanks ;)

steve911

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve911,

Aluminum is better option for durability, and ABS plastic would be nice and cheap(easy to replace) if you were doing a shorter less functional one.

I'd personally stay away from fiberglass/carbonfiber as my viper is 1"lower than stock and i drive on a variety of roads.

I would agree if you were looking for something nonfunctional, but aesthetics comes into play also. An aluminum splitter cosmetically doesnt look very cool due to its thinness. I am repairing a really high end splitter for a customer, it has machined hard wood inserts just for that reason.

Rainer

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This is my solution for the same problem.... (car is lowered about 30mm)

To save my new painted Front Fascia i made some thoughts how to save the under spoiler lip.
So i made two bumpers out of POM (Plastic) which are located directly behind the spoiler lip. (about 15mm deeper than the lip)
They are screwed on an adapterplate for easy changing when weared out.
The adapterplate itselves is bolted to the main frame.
I did this mod 1 year ago and drove about 10.000km last year.
And it still works.....

Here are some pics:

picture.php

bumper and adapterplate
picture.php

bolted under the main frame
picture.php

both ready installed
picture.php

2nd view

Greetings from Austria

Rainer

OP
OP
J

jwolf

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I down at Gatlingburg (Tail fo the Dragon) The motel's (RiverHouse) drive was was steep and at odd angles, I pulled in and out several time and was surprised that it did hit or at least make an scraping sound but all went well, When I got home and was washing the car i notice that the aluminum guard was all scraped up and on finger was bent. So i guess it did it's job.
If you look at the pictures of my car on the gap you can see the drivers side finger being bent.

So it did its job, I straightened it out by hand and all is good now.

Attachments

• DAV_4407.jpg
    DAV_4407.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:

GTLaser

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't understand why people need these things.... I just pay attention to how and where I am driving.

past ohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How about when you put the aluminum chin guard on, contact paintscratch.com and get a can or two of matching Viper paint in a spray can and keep the cosmetic upkeep ??? My $.02

jmasin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't understand why people need these things.... I just pay attention to how and where I am driving.

Yeah, I'm confused too... I've scraped the very bottom lip under the fascia, but to scrape the very front of the fascia seems challenging to do...

texas_venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have installed paint protection film under the nose on numerous cars and it has worked well. I typically double it up so t oadd extra protection but on each car it has held up well. If it gets torn up too bad then just peel it off and replace it.

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have one too and I glad to have it. I would much rather scrape up an easily replaceable part then slowly grind off part of a very expensive facial. The streets in the Bay Area and especially San Francisco can present a challenge to even the most diligent Viper drivers.

OP
OP
J

jwolf

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have one too and I glad to have it. I would much rather scrape up an easily replaceable part then slowly grind off part of a very expensive facial. The streets in the Bay Area and especially San Francisco can present a challenge to even the most diligent Viper drivers.

I was think the same thing either he doesn't drive his viper or doesn't go where I go. Like in Gatlinburg the other day there was no way to get in Riverhouse's parking lot without hitting. What can you do short of parking the car unattended 1/2 mile way in some restaurant's parking lot hoping they don't tow it. It may be a Viper, the "greatest car ever" but it's still only a car.

okloneranger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wolf, Has your car been lowered? It looks lower than stock. I avoid scrapes by attacking the incline-decline at a 45 degree angle with the tires pointed straight ahead. Thus far the only scrapes I have ever had are on the lip - not the chin. If the incline-decline is ( to my thinking is too aggresive or abrupt I simply go elsewhere. To each his own, but I am not one to add alot of extras on my car. The great thing about living in this area is the fact that there are very few Vipers, Lambos, etc. here, and where ever you go you draw attention for good or for bad.

OP
OP
J

jwolf

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wolf, Has your car been lowered? It looks lower than stock. I avoid scrapes by attacking the incline-decline at a 45 degree angle with the tires pointed straight ahead. Thus far the only scrapes I have ever had are on the lip - not the chin. If the incline-decline is ( to my thinking is too aggresive or abrupt I simply go elsewhere. To each his own, but I am not one to add alot of extras on my car. The great thing about living in this area is the fact that there are very few Vipers, Lambos, etc. here, and where ever you go you draw attention for good or for bad.

I don't think so unless it was done before I got it. I have 3 3/8 inches clearance (about three and half fingers for you drinkers) in front. In a gas station on something with open space you can do 45 degree but place like Riverhouse where its on hill and they have a deep gutter to channel water coming down the mountain road and parking is under the Motel and have very narrow entrances between pillars there is not much you can do short of leaving your viper at Home. I think If I could have put the guard on before the previous own scratch up the front it would have no damage on the car only on the guard.

1buddyc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is my solution for the same problem.... (car is lowered about 30mm)

To save my new painted Front Fascia i made some thoughts how to save the under spoiler lip.
So i made two bumpers out of POM (Plastic) which are located directly behind the spoiler lip. (about 15mm deeper than the lip)
They are screwed on an adapterplate for easy changing when weared out.
The adapterplate itselves is bolted to the main frame.
I did this mod 1 year ago and drove about 10.000km last year.
And it still works.....

Here are some pics:

picture.php

bumper and adapterplate
picture.php

bolted under the main frame
picture.php

both ready installed
picture.php

2nd view

Greetings from Austria

Rainer