Snow, Cold, Salt....

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And more snow in the forecast for the next two weeks. I bought my (new to me) Viper at Christmas and we have had snow covered roads and salt everywhere since it came home. How much waxing and polishing can a Viper take? How much Snow can an owner take? This weather is killing me, hurry up spring. I'll even settle for an Indian summer for a week or so.

OK, rant over.

Mutts02GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Similiar thing happened to me when I bought my Harley in late fall, it snowed the next day and my bike had to be delivered by cargo van to my garage where it sat for the rest of the winter! I think THAT was the longest winter on record or so it seemed to me:crazy2:

351carlo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hear ya Steve. Got my car on the 21st of December, have driven it maybe 3 times since for short trips.

Hopefully the summer will bring lots of more opportunities to take it out!

-Carlo

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After 10 winters of putting the snake(s) into hibernation the URGE to :drive: the car(s) has settled - a little bit.

Looking forward to dry and clean roads and some sunny warm weather in spring ... :eater:

26072009692xx.jpg

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I watch in-car videos and pretend I am driving.

Then I go out and shovel some more snow.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got my new ACR in November and got about 800 miles on it before it was time to put it away. Just finally broken in.
Dec 6 was the last time it was out.
Been away for two months, the longest I have ever had a Viper away without once being able to take it out even for a short hop.

It is just torture.

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I hear ya. Here in the Philly area, it's been the same. (I don't live too far from Mopar Steve.) Drove the SRT8 yesterday and today, she hadn't been driven in 3 weeks. She'd not in show condition right now, but a garage queen she ain't! Supposed to get more rain and mix tomorrow, but Sunday is supposed to be nice, so I *hope* to get the Viper out for a short drive, just to get her exercised. She as well hasn't been out in 3 weeks. Keep your fingers crossed.

I think it's worse to let cars sit for weeks or months at a time, than to clean up a little salt off them.

VJR3

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Its nice to have a couple of months to put the Viper away to work on it, but this winter is getting stupid long.

To pass the time I play GT5, in the drivers seat of my Viper though the windshield. Everybody ask me what the heck I am doing, I just say I'm practicing :rolaugh:

Come on spring, crap I still got to order my exhaust............

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does this help?
Outdoor and indoor temp taken last August on Long Island.....
We had central air put in this particular week.

You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
M

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. This is not my first Viper (fourth) so I am somewhat used to this but this winter seems to be extra tough because there has been no opportunity at all to get it out. Most winters in the past we tend to have a week here or there just to hold you over 'till spring. I guess it will be here soon enough.

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yup, we've got about 3 1/2 feet of snow on the ground, lots of sand and salt and...we just checked and are expecting more snow, sleet, rain, garbage starting tomorrow!

I have my Roe hi-flow cats sitting in a box in the garage just waiting to be put on! Can't take car to Chuck's until the roads are (relatively) clear...and, whenever he has an opening!:D

All I've done for weeks, is occasionally start the car to run it up to normal temp and move it back and forth to make sure the tires don't get flat spotted.

I want to :drive::drive::drive::drive::drive:

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. This is not my first Viper (fourth) so I am somewhat used to this but this winter seems to be extra tough because there has been no opportunity at all to get it out. Most winters in the past we tend to have a week here or there just to hold you over 'till spring. I guess it will be here soon enough.

You're right Steve. Sunday, 1/16 was nice, and I got her out briefly. As I said, there may be an opportunity this Sunday. Keep you eye on the weather - and take advantage if you can.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Been away for two months, the longest I have ever had a Viper away without once being able to take it out even for a short hop.

It is just torture.

Just saying those same words yesterday. Since September of 2001, this is the first time I've not taken a cruise at least once every three weeks. This weekend will be the eighth that I can't take a drive! Hoping on Sunday I can drive the car out of the garage and let it run for 20 minutes. Can't move it more than a few feet or I'll have filled the wheel wells and underside with salt. Feel sort of silly, parked on the street and listening to the stereo while reving the motor every 30 seconds.

What a crappy Viper winter!

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You're not kidding!!!! I can't imagine when all this snow is going to melt and then, geez, what is going to happen with all that water as it DOES melt.:omg:

Everytime I shovel the snow away from the garage door so I can move the RT outside, its snows again and there's a NEW pile of white crap in front of the door!

WHEN'S IT GOING TO END?????

:curse::bonker::curse::brick::censored::rant:

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hoping on Sunday I can drive the car out of the garage and let it run for 20 minutes.

I'm with you! I plan to try to get a drive in...salt or not. We're supposed to get quite a bit of rain tomorrow, so hopefully, it will clean up the roads a bit.

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like you might be a bit better off in PA than we are up here in NE...we got hammered the last few weeks...not sure how it is up in Lowell, but assume pretty much the same!:(

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
We're hammered here too - you ought to see the snow piles. Luckily, here in my area, tomorrow is supposed to be a pretty much rain even - maybe starting as snow/sleet, but changing over quickly.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Funny that we're now hoping for some rain. It's just been too damn cold here (and combine that with our mayor Bloomberg's first major snowfall screw up) so every time there's precip ... out come the salt sprayers and spreaders. A pure, hard driving, no sleet rain would be perfect!

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I pulled the Viper out of the garage yesterday so I can do some cleaning/organizing. Mind you we've been violated with lots of snow here in CT. My driveway is covered with a 2" layer of ice which has now solidified into granite. After I got done cleaning the garage, I couldn't get the Viper back into the garage...wheels just spin. Although I knew this would happen (happend to me a few years ago) I was just looking for an excuse to get in the Viper and drive...albeit only several feet. :D

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think I know what you mean.

You must be registered for see images attach

viper067

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's why you should always have a few carpet pieces lying around ...

I pulled the Viper out of the garage yesterday so I can do some cleaning/organizing. Mind you we've been violated with lots of snow here in CT. My driveway is covered with a 2" layer of ice which has now solidified into granite. After I got done cleaning the garage, I couldn't get the Viper back into the garage...wheels just spin. Although I knew this would happen (happend to me a few years ago) I was just looking for an excuse to get in the Viper and drive...albeit only several feet. :D

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thankfully, I am not the first to desire a couple solid days of rain....(Though it pains me to write it). At least the salt, sand and ice make for plenty of "no-excuses" time to do some annual basic maintenance.

Spring's just around the corner and I'm looking forward to a spring roadtrip!:headbang:

markk

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Well Punxsutawney Phil predicted an early spring so let's hope Mother Nature was watching.

I backed the viper out last weekend just to run the engine a while, but I couldn't help but take it for a few laps around the development. Looking forward to nice weather.

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well, I got freezing rain out there right now! Needed 4wd in the Ram briefly this morning.

Tomorrow still supposed to be sunny and 40*!

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How pathetic is it when your looking forward to taking your Viper for a 20 foot drive out of the garage? :lmao:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jandrix302