So are we allowed ...

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To share the incredible reveal that Ralph gave us? I know no pics, but can we share the new model coming and the raffle car? Man I can't wait for this thing to come out.

Dave.

OP
OP
D

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just want to make sure I don't get my head cut off and end up "*******" for saying something I shouldn't, and yes that's a bit of a clue. LoL. And I'm in love.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unless you signed an NDA then please go ahead and share. I'll take the heat for it if it's a problem but it will be OK.

Next Phase

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Raffle car will be a 1 of 1. Dan Knott commemorative....

Got to see pics of the vert. No pics were allowed, but I don't see why we couldnt share the latest info. We weren't instructed to keep it hush hush.

mnc2886

Enthusiast
Reaction score
True vert? Targa? Hard top vert? Different rear end? C'mon!!!!

You must be registered for see images attach

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What's the big deal. People shared their thoughts about the Gen V at last year's VOI and that was sorta secretive. If you didn't sign an NDA then why wouldn't they want the information out.

Next Phase

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It wAs a true vert from what I could tell...no indication that it was a hard top. Same rear end as the coupe. It had some roll over protection like the gen 3/4. From what I remember it had a little bit of duck tail like the coupe. The trunk lid had some of the same shape as the roof on the coupe...

Next Phase

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The car we saw looked very similar to the R&T article. We did not see pics of the roof up and I remember the trunk lid being different - it wasn't flat - had the shape as the coupe roof

OP
OP
D

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I saw black top like gen4 folded so I don't see hardtop. Yes very much like that photo. It had what seemed like real metal rollbar hoops vs black plastic. Heard 2 yrs for ACR. Also hear several say 640hp, so far in ref to gen5 power so certainly more power coming also.

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seeing how the new car is so closely related to the Gen3/4 when it comes to frame etc. the roof will probably be exactly the same roof as the gen 3/4 converts.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They announced that there will be an aero kit which produces approximately 300 pounds of additional down force. We saw an artist rendering of it. The yellow SRT variant is going to have the aero kit put on it and appear at SEMA. We were also told that neither the SRT nor the GTS will have a height adjustment mechanism in the suspension. But if the ride height of the yellow SRT we drove is the final height, that's OK because it looks great. Their concern is that the adjustable part is subject to corrosion and other factors. I believe we will not see a return to the Gen IV fully adjustable, including height, set up.

The car handles well. The braking feel is different and better. You feel the brake at the top of the pedal. The shifter is basically the same feel as what we who have the MGW shift mechanism under our short shift handled cars have been experiencing. It felt like my car feels when I shift - certain and sure.

The feel in the cockpit and visibility out the front was comfortable. It felt the same but with better seats.

The car is good looking in photos but far better looking in person. There is a lot of detail that you cannot see in the photos. The front looks more aggressive.

All in all, it is a more refined, better looking Viper.

The picture of the vert ( It believe it was a computer creation. I do not think it was an actual car.) was similar to some of the photoshops that have been done on this site. It is a very good looking car - for a vert. LOL.

They showed an in car facing forward video of a high speed test of the Gen V where he hit 200MPH. The driver's remarks upon doing so were quite funny. The video was great!.

The tech session was thorough and included a lengthy Q&A. The only question I asked was whether the aero kit would be available on both variants and how much it would reduce the top speed of the car. Answers: It will be available on both the SRT and GTS and will reduce the top speed to 191 MPH. My understanding is that this has not actually been tested and that the 191 MPH figure is based on a computer model's findings.

The Viper SRT with track pack and aero kit should be able to equal or beat the ACR record even though it will have less down force available because of improvements in other areas including, frame rigidity, gearing and power.

BigDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the information!

So can you confirm if what Ralph said is true...that the interior is roomier than all of the previous generations?

I'm very disappointed to learn the vert will have the same rear as the coupe.. It sounds like another cost cutting cop out by SRT. It just leaves me more convinced the ACR won't have special bodywork. It'll just be another Viper than can be easily cloned by the aftermarket. Sorry to the pollyannas but there seems to be a pattern at SRT. They did the same thing with the SRT8 Jeep. They have a great thing going with a great baseline but they don't follow through with it. I was wrong about the price, in a bad way. Let's hope I'm wrong about this.

Next Phase

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ralph was saying the new car will be faster at the Ring, but won't be going back until someone breaks the record. However, Dominik was saying the new car won't be faster at the Ring due to tires and aero. Thought that was interesting...

Next Phase

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the information!

So can you confirm if what Ralph said is true...that the interior is roomier than all of the previous generations?

I'm very disappointed to learn the vert will have the same rear as the coupe.. It sounds like another cost cutting cop out by SRT. It just leaves me more convinced the ACR won't have special bodywork. It'll just be another Viper than can be easily cloned by the aftermarket. Sorry to the pollyannas but there seems to be a pattern at SRT. They did the same thing with the SRT8 Jeep. They have a great thing going with a great baseline but they don't follow through with it. I was wrong about the price, in a bad way. Let's hope I'm wrong about this.

You want an ugly ass end on the vert? I don't really understand what you would want different. The Gen II GTS and the Gen III / IV coupes look worlds better than the RT/10 and Gen III/ IV verts.

We are lucky that the Viper survived and no matter how hard SRT tries to satisfy everyone, someone will always have something that they would want instead. After spending hours with the engineers that designed the car, there are many reasons / influences / international regulations that play a part in the decision making that doesn't get mentioned.

bcmarly

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bob - could you comment on the fit and finish of the car both inside and out and in particular the quality of interior materials? Has Ralph attained his objective of attracting the Porsche and Audi crowd; in other words when you climb inside the **** pit of the new Viper would you feel at home? Merci

They announced that there will be an aero kit which produces approximately 300 pounds of additional down force. We saw an artist rendering of it. The yellow SRT variant is going to have the aero kit put on it and appear at SEMA. We were also told that neither the SRT nor the GTS will have a height adjustment mechanism in the suspension. But if the ride height of the yellow SRT we drove is the final height, that's OK because it looks great. Their concern is that the adjustable part is subject to corrosion and other factors. I believe we will not see a return to the Gen IV fully adjustable, including height, set up.

The car handles well. The braking feel is different and better. You feel the brake at the top of the pedal. The shifter is basically the same feel as what we who have the MGW shift mechanism under our short shift handled cars have been experiencing. It felt like my car feels when I shift - certain and sure.

The feel in the cockpit and visibility out the front was comfortable. It felt the same but with better seats.

The car is good looking in photos but far better looking in person. There is a lot of detail that you cannot see in the photos. The front looks more aggressive.

All in all, it is a more refined, better looking Viper.

The picture of the vert ( It believe it was a computer creation. I do not think it was an actual car.) was similar to some of the photoshops that have been done on this site. It is a very good looking car - for a vert. LOL.

They showed an in car facing forward video of a high speed test of the Gen V where he hit 200MPH. The driver's remarks upon doing so were quite funny. The video was great!.

The tech session was thorough and included a lengthy Q&A. The only question I asked was whether the aero kit would be available on both variants and how much it would reduce the top speed of the car. Answers: It will be available on both the SRT and GTS and will reduce the top speed to 191 MPH. My understanding is that this has not actually been tested and that the 191 MPH figure is based on a computer model's findings.

The Viper SRT with track pack and aero kit should be able to equal or beat the ACR record even though it will have less down force available because of improvements in other areas including, frame rigidity, gearing and power.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As noted elsewhere, the cars at VOI were mules. ( I believe the yellow one is the same one we saw in the recent track video and used for the car magazine tests.) They were not the final, final car. With that said, the interiors we saw were equal to if not better than anyhting you mentioned. The fit and finish, even though they were mules, was much better than seen on the Gen IV. Bottom line, Ralph has more than met his goal. The car is much better lookiung than its competitors. I know that this is a subjective thing but I believe that most who actually see the car in person and up close, will agree.

BTW, I forgot to mention above that as I suspected many months ago, the forged pistons being used in the Gen V engine were developed from the pistons used in the ACRX. Dick Winkles did a very detailed presentation about the engine improvements at the tech session. He never ceases to impress us with the vast amount of engineering expertise that he has in drivetrain matters.

Bob - could you comment on the fit and finish of the car both inside and out and in particular the quality of interior materials? Has Ralph attained his objective of attracting the Porsche and Audi crowd; in other words when you climb inside the **** pit of the new Viper would you feel at home? Merci

OP
OP
D

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm 6'3" and 195, I found the car just a bit roomier. The console seems a bit roomier and the seats are definitely just a smidge looser.

I thought fit and finish was excellent, but they kept emphasizing the mules were no where near the production quality, in that case I'm certain all will be impressed.

Other thing mentioned a lot was that there will tuner parts and packages coming, which I found very interesting.

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gen V may just give me envy with goodness that is coming out. I love it, every bit of it!
But please SRT.... Please don't leave the Gen IV guys high and dry with goodies.

bcmarly

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm 6'3" and 195, I found the car just a bit roomier. The console seems a bit roomier and the seats are definitely just a smidge looser.

I thought fit and finish was excellent, but they kept emphasizing the mules were no where near the production quality, in that case I'm certain all will be impressed.

Other thing mentioned a lot was that there will tuner parts and packages coming, which I found very interesting.

Would you have enough room to where a helmet? At 6.3 were you comfortable, or wishing you had more leg and head room?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth