So I got rear-ended today... in my SRT-10

Ooomph

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sitting at a stoplight in the left lane (2 cars ahead of me), lady stopped (yes-she was fully stopped) behind me decides to floor her grand cherokee because the cars in the right lane started to roll when the light changed green. Her excuse to the cop was that I sit soooo low... [******]?? :confused:

Split the rear bumper at the bottom of the rear airdam pillar. Pushed the trunk lid up about an inch all around. Trunk will not open, airbags did not deploy. I'm friggin' livid! I think she even bent my MGW license plate frame... :(

My concern, as always, is the fact that this is a special vehicle (collectors, show, whatever you want to call it - it's not your run of the mill car) and I'm worried about paint matching, alignment issues, trunk/top issues etc..

Do I have a leg to stand on to demand a full paint job, alignment checks, measurements, etc...

Will take some pictures after I have a few more beers. ...and a ****** (or nine).

oh yeah, I'm okay, little whiplash, sore across shoulder blades and neck but that's about it. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First things first - if you are in pain GO TO THE DOCTOR. Sometimes injuries take time to come out - after the anger and adrenaline subsides. (Additionally, her insurance company will be more responsive to an accident with a possible injury.)

Take the car to a shop that specializes in late model, high performance vehicles. Check with your local club for recommendations. You DO NOT have to take it to a shop that her ins. company recommends. A good body shop will include all those things inthe estimate.

Call YOUR insurance company. this is one instance where those losers can actually be of service - as they can help you get what you want from her company, they'll look like heroes and it won't cost them a dime - use this.

Get yourself a rental car - NOW. You need transportation.

And remember, if htey want you to have their adjuster look at it - they should do it at the shop you've already chosen.

And finally- everything is negotiable. Hopefully she has a decent ins. company and the body shop has a good relationship with them - that will make a big difference.

The Viper is a good solid body on frame car - in some ways easier to fix that the unibodies - so a competent shop is your friend here.

Good luck.

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thomas:

How did you have it insured? If you insure it as a specialty vehicle with limited mileage per year, then you insured it as an exceptional car.

Otherwise, they are only required to pay what they consider to be a reasonable estimate of the damage.

Thus, if you have a local Viper dealer, you could ask to be referred to shops that they use for Viper repair. That should assure you of a quality repair.

It is bad enough for it to occur but having to live with lame excuses...
too low...incredible.

****** will be good for the soul...and the muscle tension...so you can justify it.

Remember, many injuries do not manifest immediately after injury.

Sorry it happened.

Yves

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also ask for some kind of compensation for the reduced resale value.
After all, your car has been in an accident...

Kelly06

Viper Owner
Reaction score
ooomph
I know first hand what you are going through. Janni's advice is excellent. I trust the officer didn't pay attention to her excuse? Don't worry about how you have it insured. The game is to go to your selling dealer and have your sales person give their estimate of what the car is worth--you don't have to take the insurance co estimate and their depreciation etc. This will funnel into the amount the insurance co pays for the fix.

SnakeEye

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That sure sux...sorry to hear of your misfortune. :(
Do make sure you see your doctor just in case...

SilverViper03

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ooomph

Like you, I have a silver one and can tell you that the color can be 100% perfect match. I was not sure I asked Daniel (FinalGTS), he told me can be match so I asked the dealer to do it and he did a perfect job. In my case I got the sidesill repainted for minor scratches and by the way I painted the black part around the exhaust exit to be color match (better looking for my taste).

Good Luck

Viperized

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can sympathize with your situation since I had an accident immediately upon leaving the dealership. I destroyed the front bumper, two wheels, bent the lower control arm and also needed to have front right quarter panel replaced due to a broken bracket. I was so worried that the car would never be the same. I brought the car to a shop that works on very high marque cars. The appraiser wanted to refubish the wheels but the insurance company insisted that the wheels be new. It took a month to get all parts and car finished but it came out perfectly. It drives like new and there is no way that you can tell. Dont worry a high quality body shop will make it new again. In the meanwhile get yourself taken care of. Best of luck

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thomas:

How did you have it insured? If you insure it as a specialty vehicle with limited mileage per year, then you insured it as an exceptional car.

Otherwise, they are only required to pay what they consider to be a reasonable estimate of the damage.

Nope.

That's only if he is trying to collect on his own insurance. This would be true if he had run off the road on his own. Then he would be looking to his own insurance to pay. This is not the case. The woman is liable for ALL of the damages. Not what the woman or her insurance agent consider reasonable. She is required to make the victim whole. If that means taking her to court, then that's what I would do.

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My concern, as always, is the fact that this is a special vehicle (collectors, show, whatever you want to call it - it's not your run of the mill car) and I'm worried about paint matching, alignment issues, trunk/top issues etc..

Do I have a leg to stand on to demand a full paint job, alignment checks, measurements, etc...

Demand everything. Paint, alignment, measurements, etc. Check everything. Also demand compensation for reduction in value of the vehicle for being in a wreck.

This is her fault. There is no doubt about it. It's all just about how much she's going to have to pay you. Her insurance company will try to screw you. Don't let them.

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yup,

Janni got it right on. I agree with Kai, you should get whatever it takes to bring it back to Original Condition.

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Damn, sorry to hear about that! That's a real bummer!

Get it fixed RIGHT, where you want it fixed and by who you want to fix it. Play hardball, especially if it's not your insurance that will be paying for everything!

Good luck!

DSR207

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad you're ok...Get the car checked for everything...AND ESPECIALLY, GET COMPENSATION FOR VEHICLE VALUE REDUCTION...IT'S TOO BAD, BUT THERE IS NO WAY TO AVOID IT, AFTER BEING IN A WRECK...GOOD LUCK :(

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad you're ok...Get the car checked for everything...AND ESPECIALLY, GET COMPENSATION FOR VEHICLE VALUE REDUCTION...IT'S TOO BAD, BUT THERE IS NO WAY TO AVOID IT, AFTER BEING IN A WRECK...GOOD LUCK :(

I can speak from personal experience that you want to absolutely check into the above. I had a brand new Vette that got hit when I was stopped at a light. I had 6K miles on it, and it didn't have a scratch on it. After the insurance claim and all was fixed and repaired as good as new I tried to sell it a few months later. All that was done was cosmetic work, nothing in the drive train waht so ever, I was hit in the front right fender. Damage total was 6K. First question out of everyones mouth is "Was it ever hit". Every single person asked it first thing, and when I detailed what happened, they listed sympathetically and never called back. It showed up on CarFax in a month. I wasn't going to lie to anyone, so I told the truth and showed them the repair bill, listing all the parts fixed. Especially when Vettes are a dime a dozen, who wants one that was hit? You will be taking money off of the sale price, thousands, if and when you try to sell it. No dealer would even take my Vette as a trade in they said it couldn't even be sold. It now has a "history".
I didn't have any coverage for diminished value, and had to give the car away eventually, 7K under book value and I was happy to get it.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How much could the reduction on value really add up to? I mean what could you get a court to go for?
I don't know? Lets say $5k.
In order to get it, you will probably have to get a lawyer and take them to court.

If you win, how much will you keep after expenses?

I'm not saying that you shouldn't do it. I'm just saying that you are going to be out quite a bit on the deal.

It's too bad that stupid people can just whack your car and leave you with lots of hassle and less car value than you had before they hit you.

Do what some of the others have suggested, see a doctor about that pain you mentioned. After a couple of days, a thing like that can start to bother you more than you might think at first.

dirk989

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It certainly is worth visiting a lawyer on that one.

Beyond that:

1. Get treatment for your injuries. Do NOT settle or sign anything until your are sure that nothing further is going to pop up regarding your medical condition. Many injuries can show up much, much later. You need to be checked out to make sure there are none of these.

2. Set about documenting actual repair costs. The advice above suggesting that they only have to pay what they believe is reasonable is incorrect. The other party is responsible for your actual damages. Get a thorough estimate from someone competent. Make sure that the estimate includes EVERYTHING related to the accident. Get some numbers from dealers and other places so that you can PROVE the change in resale value and other damage.

Most people get hosed on property damage because used car values are below what most used cars are worth to the owners. The fact that you have a special car helps in that regard. Your proof of damages and of the change in value come from more specific sources than in a typical case. (A qualified mechanic and/or dealer rather than a number published in some book)

Most importantly, do not sign anything or talk with anyone without first speaking to an atty. With primarily property damage, a lawyer will likely cost money instead of working on a share of recovery. However, it is most likely well worth it.

Dirk

p.s. You can probably guess what my day job is.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It was my understanding from several sources that some insurance companies will compensate for diminished value. In my case, Geico in New York would not. Others have told me that they did receive diminished value benefits. It is certainly worth looking into.
It is just incredibly unfair that you are an innocent party sitting in your car, get hit by another party, and then have to take a BIG loss when it comes time to sell your car. Someone should have to make that up to you.

SRTJOE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Insurance companies want to close the claim asap drag it out until you get what you deserve!

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It was my understanding from several sources that some insurance companies will compensate for diminished value. In my case, Geico in New York would not. Others have told me that they did receive diminished value benefits. It is certainly worth looking into.
It is just incredibly unfair that you are an innocent party sitting in your car, get hit by another party, and then have to take a BIG loss when it comes time to sell your car. Someone should have to make that up to you.

Again. Whether or not his insurance agent will provide compensation for diminished value is NOT applicable here. He is not trying to collect from his own insurance agent.
The woman who hit him owes him for the diminished value. He is entitled to payment for the diminished value. That payment isn't coming from his insurance agent. It's coming from the lady who hit him.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To clarify, I meant to say if HER insurance company would allow any compensation for dimished returns value. Obviously in this case she is at fault and her insurance would be responsible not his.

viper GTS-R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You want advice Tom?

Go get one of these and go see her jeep...
You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

Should buff out with Zaino! :D

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Give me a call and we will be happy to send out a letter , as the car will have diminished value. It is an unfortunate situation, but true of many exotic/semi-exotic and collector cars.

And do as Janni suggested - get to the Doctor.

Sincerely,
Bill Pemberton
Woodhouse Viper
1-800-889-1893

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To clarify, I meant to say if HER insurance company would allow any compensation for dimished returns value. Obviously in this case she is at fault and her insurance would be responsible not his.

One last time. Her insurance company's views on compensation for diminished value are not relevant in this situation. The victim has a claim against the driver of the Jeep that rear-ended him. She (not her insurance company) is responsible for compensating the victim. Her insurance company is responsible for compensating her for the damages she's going to have to pay to the victim. Any policy that her insurance company has on this (or any other) issue doesn't affect her liability to the victim. It only affects how much money the insurance company will reimburse her for the damages she pays to the victim. Even if the Jeep driver's insurance company has a policy that says that they won't pay for diminished value under any circumstances whatsoever, it doesn't matter. She still has to pay compensation for diminished value, and she is liable for all of the damage done, including diminished value.

Viperized

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can speak from personal experience that you want to absolutely check into the above. I had a brand new Vette that got hit when I was stopped at a light. I had 6K miles on it, and it didn't have a scratch on it. After the insurance claim and all was fixed and repaired as good as new I tried to sell it a few months later. All that was done was cosmetic work, nothing in the drive train waht so ever, I was hit in the front right fender. Damage total was 6K. First question out of everyones mouth is "Was it ever hit". Every single person asked it first thing, and when I detailed what happened, they listed sympathetically and never called back. It showed up on CarFax in a month. I wasn't going to lie to anyone, so I told the truth and showed them the repair bill, listing all the parts fixed. Especially when Vettes are a dime a dozen, who wants one that was hit? You will be taking money off of the sale price, thousands, if and when you try to sell it. No dealer would even take my Vette as a trade in they said it couldn't even be sold. It now has a "history".
I didn't have any coverage for diminished value, and had to give the car away eventually, 7K under book value and I was happy to get it.

This situation is one of the reasons I decided to lease my SRT. As long as the car was repaired properly they cannot penalize you. Drive the car as much as I want ( I will never reach 10,000 miles) and just relax and enjoy the car.This way I know at the end of two years I just hand over the keys and on to the 650 HP 2007 SRT.