So I know drive by wire was updated in 09...

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 08 spins up the power like its got a centrifugal charger on it, feels underwhelming below 3k and then starts to rip your face off to redline.

Dave.

Pretty much my thoughts. And I am surprised to have this feeling about a Viper. I havent driven an 06 and prior, but I have learned 4k-6k is a beast in my '08. It loves going down to 2nd gear @ 60mph.. 3rd gear.. not so much.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Feels like less torque than my Gen 2 at lower RPM's...till you hit third gear at about 4K...
..then you hold on tight it pulls like a freight train.

PJ9454

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You just have to adapt to it. One time my road course cars distributor moved and backed off the timing. It made the response real lazy. You just hit the throttle a little before you need to and shift and blip accordingly. Its the same thing. Once you adapt to it, its a little odd, but thats the nature of the beast. The huge plenum intake doesnt help either, BUT its how the beast drives. No biggie, all performance cars have their oddities, a good driver can adapt. If it bothers you that much, convert it to a cable and a potentiometer. But its an adaptable deal. I dont know how you can stall it taking off. My 2010 ACR from a dead idle you can let the clutch out and take off with no throttle at all. If you cant do that with yours, maybe the issue lies elsewhere and its a legitimate complaint but in another area of the combination.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You just have to adapt to it. One time my road course cars distributor moved and backed off the timing. It made the response real lazy. You just hit the throttle a little before you need to and shift and blip accordingly. Its the same thing. Once you adapt to it, its a little odd, but thats the nature of the beast. The huge plenum intake doesnt help either, BUT its how the beast drives. No biggie, all performance cars have their oddities, a good driver can adapt. If it bothers you that much, convert it to a cable and a potentiometer. But its an adaptable deal. I dont know how you can stall it taking off. My 2010 ACR from a dead idle you can let the clutch out and take off with no throttle at all. If you cant do that with yours, maybe the issue lies elsewhere and its a legitimate complaint but in another area of the combination.

A lot of the guys here are comparing it to Gen 3's and 2's and it is hugely different.
Obviously one can get used to it, but it is a different animal.

PJ9454

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yes I had a 97 GTS before and it had instant response...I drove to the Dealership, traded mine in and pulled my ACR new off the showroom floor and was shocked at the delay in response. BUT by the time I got through a few traffic lights I was leading the shift and now my blips are awesome as well. No biggie, you adapt to the animal. Remember the 1000 horsepower Nissan IMSA Camel racers of the era? They had so much turbo lag they would hit the gas a full second BEFORE they needed to... but thats the way it is. Race the car you got, its not intolerable, its adaptable. A good driver can make the change.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I was going to do the Mopar unit and then swap for emissions testing but at $1000 and several reports of it lowering hp output, it seemed a tough call unless you were doing full header/exhaust setup, which I'd have done except in MD I don't know how you'd ever pass emissions, you have to swap the stock ECU back for the oBD read and then you throw codes due to the exhaust. So not for me.

I've not driven a 09 or 10, but guys report it's better, but better is subjective. I can only compare my 03, which I did have a tune in form DC from the get go, and throttle response was significantly off on the 08 by comparison. I've completely adjusted to it, but it was weird at first for sure. I can blip my car though no problem and heel/toe no problem and do all the time, so not sure about those that can't. The 08 spins up the power like its got a centrifugal charger on it, feels underwhelming below 3k and then starts to rip your face off to redline.

Dave.

Having installed the Mopar Race Controller in two Gen IV's, I can tell you that while it takes a few miles to "learn", it does increase hp and tq throughout the rpm range, especially with headers, exhaust, ported intake and K&N air filters.

Dan

PJ9454

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Viper X...does the idle sound any tougher with just the controller change on a stock ACR?

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Viper X...does the idle sound any tougher with just the controller change on a stock ACR?

The Mopar race controller increased the idle speed in both of the Gen IV's that I installed them in, so the car sounds a bit better to me.

Dan

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
....waiting for Dan Lesser......:eater:

If anyone has tinkered with fixing it extensively, it is probably him.

Just posted this on another thread ironically:

"Guys, quite literally, they have to rewrite ONE single table in order to fix this problem... its all in the coding, and has zero to do with hardware. It is not a delay, it is a gain rate issue between the ratio of pedal:throttle. Whether they will fix it or not remains to be seen... but I would hope EVERY SRT product has this addressed. The SRT's should not have the same pedal gain rate as the regular cars! "

Unfortunately, there is no real solution without tuning capability or going to a standalone. But believe me when I say that utilizing a controller such as Pectel or Motec will completely delete this problem from existence. The "band-aids" out there change the pedal gain rate a bit, but they are linear changes on top of a non-linear problem... and this also doesn't change the fact that quite likely, the OEM coding is vastly under-driving the throttle motor control duty compared to what they can be capable of handling, and this slows everything down as well, making it "sloppy" by comparison.

Its all guessing what the OEM did without being able to see it. All I know, is that using the same hardware on a standalone... the problem isn't there!

mnc2886

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just posted this on another thread ironically:

"Guys, quite literally, they have to rewrite ONE single table in order to fix this problem... its all in the coding, and has zero to do with hardware. It is not a delay, it is a gain rate issue between the ratio of pedal:throttle. Whether they will fix it or not remains to be seen... but I would hope EVERY SRT product has this addressed. The SRT's should not have the same pedal gain rate as the regular cars! "

Unfortunately, there is no real solution without tuning capability or going to a standalone. But believe me when I say that utilizing a controller such as Pectel or Motec will completely delete this problem from existence. The "band-aids" out there change the pedal gain rate a bit, but they are linear changes on top of a non-linear problem... and this also doesn't change the fact that quite likely, the OEM coding is vastly under-driving the throttle motor control duty compared to what they can be capable of handling, and this slows everything down as well, making it "sloppy" by comparison.

Its all guessing what the OEM did without being able to see it. All I know, is that using the same hardware on a standalone... the problem isn't there!

So right, wrong, or indifferent they have a reason for not fixing it. I just want to know what it is.