So which Viper is or will be the most collectable?

pacethis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the original blue/white 96/97 gts's and 02 final edition red/silver because of their desirability already in the market, and probably a lot from Gen V. There will be a lesser desire to have the first cars from 92/93. Also, I think there were one or a couple of White w/ blue stripe 96 GTS for execs or something...they'd be pretty collectible.

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From this year's Barrett-Jackson Auction in Scottsdale it was made pretty clear that the oddball special editions of the last model Extreme Aero ACR are the most valuable. So if most valuable = most collectible then those. I am not sure even a GTSR homologation model has ever sold for $175k+.

UPDATE: I was reminded in another thread that "The vehicle ba[d]ged GTS-R is called a GT2" and was not a true homologation specials, but rather a special edition and that in the past one of those sold for $187k at Barret-Jackson.

Last edited:

VipermanGT2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm new here, but I thought this might a interesting place to mention my Grandfather. He owned a large Dodge dealership in Illinois for most of his life. Maybe some of you heard of it. Koller Dodge. His dealership provided the Vipers to Stryker Viper Systems in St Charles, IL back in the day...at least that's what I remember reading. His dealership was a top Mopar parts dealer for a long time as well.

Unfortunately he passed away a few years back. But our family held onto his two Vipers he had. I haven't taken a look at them in a long time, and he always kept them garaged and covered. Super low mileage on them. The first one he left us was one of the first run RT/10's that were released. If I remember correctly, it's numbered(maybe someone has some more knowledge on that). We also held onto his other blue w/white stripes coupe which is a 1996 GTS I think. He always mentioned something about the stripes on the bumper extending all the way under or through, but I don't recall exactly what he was talking about.

I figured I'd join and carry on his love of Vipers, as he was a longtime VCA member. Every time I would visit him, he would send me home with a copy of Viper magazine. I think I even have some of his Viper memorabilia. Some pretty cool posters and even a poster that was printed on foamboard, and shows a cutaway of the Viper's engine and systems, etc. I'll have to take some pictures of the interesting stuff I have from him(not sure where to post those) to share with everyone.

Happy to be here.

newredrt10

Former VCA National President
Administrator
Reaction score
Some more thinking should be made when looking at which car is the best. The production numbers do not reflect the cars destroyed, cars wrecked, stolen or shipped oversea. These cars are lost forever, changing the numbers from the factory. There are also cars out there that were wrecked but never appeared on any ones radar, these cars are causing problems for people overseas. Barriet Jackson insurance told me that there are only 12,000 to 16,000 that have not been wrecked.

ViperJeff

Legacy Member
VCA Member
Reaction score
That’s an amazing declaration from BJ. One I quite frankly find hard to believe that 50-70% of all Vipers have been wrecked, unless that include door dings at the local coffee shop and not a change in the title status. I guess the other curiosity I have is that Vipers outside the USA no longer count, but hey, I’m worth less than a nickel and the lint in your pocket compared to BJ. Insert smile here

newredrt10

Former VCA National President
Administrator
Reaction score
It was hard for me to believe to when I first heard it. they were talking about major damage not totaled, and totaled. the oversea cars are cars that have salvaged titled and or have damage to the car that was not fixed to thier requirements for imported cars. J and I have tried to help people who have endup with like this. thier country will not title the car and seller would accept the cars return. there are damage cars in other counrties getting repaired but will never be abled to be shipped out of thier country.

ViperJeff

Legacy Member
VCA Member
Reaction score
It’s just crazy. I know I can only request 5 VINs a day to the insurance bureau to request/determine totaled/stolen status and that’s with knowing the VINs. In my mind, BJ would need to know the VINs and request data.

or

the insurance bureau sends reports to BJ, I find that hard to believe.

I would like to know how they source their data.... other than the normal way of assuming percentage of loss, which is stupid

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I actually know the person that owns that green one. It's never driven. You know that lip under the front air dam? That car still has paint on the bottom of it! That's the first place you scrape when you drive that car. So obviously it's never driven. I never liked that green color but now I know why they never drive it. Lol

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper