Soft Tops for RT/10.........Gen 1 vs Gen 2.??

VIPERCANE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is there a length difference in a Gen 1 and Gen 2 soft top?

I am being told that a Gen 1 top is slightly shorter than a Gen 2 top....is this correct?

Situation............I had bought a top for my 2000 RT 3 years ago from a seller that stated it was a Gen 2 top. I never ever used it on my car. Just sat in my office unopened. Had no use for it so I recently, I sold it on Ebay for $700 or so. Seller received it and informed me that top is slightly shorter than his original soft top he has and stated that my top is for a Gen 1. I had checked all the pictures of other Gen 2 tops that sold on Ebay and mine is identical to all them. I sent him a link to another Gen 2 that sold on Ebay and he informed me that that seller was mistaken tooThabks as that top was a Gen 1 too and not a Gen 2....................so I am confused now as to what he is stating is correct and that all the folks that have listed their tops to be Gen 2s are actually gen 1s..............help!!!! Thanks for any help.

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You sold a top you never used in 3 years and dont/didnt know whether it is GEN-I or GEN-II...?
Or, whether it fits your 2000 RT/10?

Shame on you. :eater:

wastntim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You sold a top you never used in 3 years and dont/didnt know whether it is GEN-I or GEN-II...?
Or, whether it fits your 2000 RT/10?

Shame on you. :eater:
What's wrong with selling a top you've never used? I am selling my softop and it has never been on my car and it never will. I got it with the car so I am assuming it is the original top that came with it.

I highly doubt that everyone is misselling their tops. I could see a few people, but not everyone.

OP
OP
V

VIPERCANE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nope, never used it and only unwrapped it recently as it was stored in the office. Thought I would sell it as it was collecting dust. :) And, based on the conflicting feedback I am getting from the buyer, it was time to find out what is what and who is correct on this issue...............what better source than this board. No big deal.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck Tator will know for sure. I had only heard that the length of the key was different for different years, so I am curious to know the answer.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is usually the length of the front pins. I don't believe that the tops are shorter. They should be the same, but the mounting points/pins are different. Now if they need a top, see my ad in the classifieds.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
THE YEAR MATTERS, not just the Gen !!!

Fact: Not a month has gone by in the past 5+ years when at least ONE person does not call me to help em sort out an E-bay misrepresentation. And the most common item is the TOP.

Many of them were not crooks, but "uninformed sellers" who were even victimized by PRIOR uninformed sellers and dont even know WHAT the heck they are selling.

The seller almost always seems to say: It Fits All Years........or It fits Your Year.......... and the buyer believes.

My favorite yuks are the guys who want to learn the differences.....Monday Mornings.....and then TRADE me for the correct top......... At an even exchange of course......

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just for the Record...I have a Gen 1 Top. Build date Late 95. New in the Box. OEM or NOS

OP
OP
V

VIPERCANE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon B, thanks for chiming in..............so what would be the breakdown of the years/Gen on these tops???? Anybody?? Is there a shorter version for certain years like buyer is stating? Thanks.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon can correct me if I am wrong, but

1992-1993 Gen I with longer front lock pins, has a slide lock to keep the side bars in place
1994-1995 Gen I with shorter front lock pins, has a slide lock to keep the side bars in place
1996 Gen I with the same shorter front lock pins, but uses a metal locking bolt to lock side bars into place. Have heard that this 1996 specific top can be used on the 1994-1995 cars too.
1997-2002 Gen II top fit all Gen II cars, and has a plastic lcoking screw to keep the side bars in place.

If pictures are needed, I can probably take some later. Hope this helps.

OP
OP
V

VIPERCANE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks RT..................that should clear the air. I think mine had the metal locking bolts and should have been for a 96 Gen 1. It was depicted for sale as a Gen 2 top 3 years ago by seller. But there is no difference in length of top, right?? He states that one is shorter than the other.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think so, but it's very possible that the mounting points are in a slightly different location. So it would/could appear that the top is shorter, if that makes sense?