Solid Roller Viper motor?

V10TT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was talking today to an Engine builder that is doing the following work on a friend's viper.
The car will have a Solid Roller cam custom made by Competitions cams (cam being made right now) Custom made Solid Lifters and cutting the block to accomodated the solid lifters.
The block is being cut .400".
The car will have the heads ported along with the FACTORY intake ported. Two stage NOS system, Direct port and the regualr Wet kit in front of the TB's.
The Goal is 570 rwhp at 7000 rpms!!!! on MOTOR and 950 on the Juice!!!

BTW, it is the first Viper motor this guy works on.
The car will be controlled by a Speed Pro system...

The porject is well on its way... The motor will be Stock Cubes, with Carrillo Rods and JE pistons....

Will this WORK in the REal world.. or will this be a NIGHTMARE for my friend!!!

I've never heard of such a set up on this forum, and I know ther are some fast Vipers here...

Opinios??

Martin D

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have not heard of this being done on a Viper before. That does not mean it can not be done. The one thing that really stickes out is 570 at the tires at 7k. Since HP is a derived from Torque, I would hope that there would be more power at the top end than that. I make 565 at the tires from 5400 to 6200. Why would you want to spin the motor more than that unless you are making huge power at 7000? I am open to correction here, but I feel that this car will have not bottom end grunt if it peaks at 7k.

Are they doing a Dry Sump?? What about fuel? Keep us posted!

Regards,

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with Martin D, it seems overkill considering others have made power in that range with just exhaust, heads, cam, computer work. At 7,000 I would expect it to be 650+ with a big loss of low end power.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR> The block is being cut .400" <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Humm, I don't know what you mean by that, cut where? for what purpose? That's almost a half an inch.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>BTW, it is the first Viper motor this guy works on <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would have never guessed that!!!!!!!!!!!
laugh.gif

OP
OP
V

V10TT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys, this is stuff I found out today from the Engine builder hinself. I was there doin a Dyno with a Friend's Imapala.

I guess they are expecting 570 rwhp as a minimum, who knows how the power curve is going to look on this motor or what kind of driveability/reliability problems all this custom stuff might bring.
He mentioned the block(or lifter bores.. ) was being machined 400
thousands to accept the soild lifters....

If it was my car I WOULD NOT get into this experimental/radical set up, but he wants to be the TOP DOG on the Planet, and make more power on the dyno and more mph at the track than Doug LEvin...
My opinion is that this project is going to become a nightmare.
I've seen a few cars from people I know down here that went with all out solid motors on small block chevys. The money and tuning has ben great. Frustration etc. An this is on proven set ups.
Imagine the viper with a Experimental/un-researched Solid Motor?

<FONT COLOR="#ff0000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by xsmph on 10-22-2001 at 06:56 AM</font>

OP
OP
V

V10TT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1Bad, so lets say they put it toguether, map the speed pro and put it on the dyno....
What is your prediction?
Now they are also planning on spraying 400-500 shot of juice.
CAn the cylinder heads take this kind of pressure and not blow the head seal?
Does the GTSR use soild cam set up? What rpms does it turn...

Thanks!

TomMiriViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where is your friends mechanic shop located? Your location sez miami. The biggest and best viper engine builder in florida is Doug Levin. I don't know why your friend would send a viper motor for experiment. Your friend will need more than a 500 hp shot of nitrous to beat Dougs car. I've witnessed Doug beat ******* a supra one night that had a single turbo and spray. The supra guy said he had over 1000 hp to the wheels. Doug beat him real bad. I would like to see the race between your friend and DLM!!!

Tom

OP
OP
V

V10TT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, He is not really my "Friend", since I raced him before and destroyed him. So is one of the reasons he is going all out.
HE is not taking it to DLM because he does not like him too much, and just wants to be faster than him....
His mechanic says they will get 950-1000 rwhp on the dyno... we'll see...