Some New Viper Records

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alexrz....You have to remember that the GTS started with a 3.07 rear end and 17 inch rims....This was the best set up for such a tall gear..

then they took the GTS to 18 inch rears...Still the same 3.07 rear end though. This would be equivalent to now having a 3.00 rear end gear with the 1 inch taller tire..

And then the SRT10's got the 19 inch tires. another inch taller still...Taking that initial 3.07 rear gearing to the equivalent of a 2.93 rear end gear...

Taller rims make your car slower. they had rotating mass with even a few pounds is SIGNIFICANT..And they lower your overall rear gear...

Now that I think about it I can defiently see a strong dynoing 415 rwhp SAE 1996 GTS with the 17 inch rims trapping the same mph as a weak dynoing 430 rwhp SRT10 with the 19 inch rims...

In this case they should both trapp around 120 mph..

But the stronger SRT10's in the 450 rwhp range are gonna trapp 122 mph..

While I just dont see a GTS getting anywhere near that unless at atco or any other "fast" tracks...

Anyways...I only defend because their seems to be a miscoception that a GTS is faster than a SRT10...And it's not. It's at the best equal but really just a tad slower. Despite the feeling...My buddys C6Z06 felt MUCH SLOWER than my SRT10... But he could yank me by 2 cars by 140 mph...

I guess we can just all get 2008's and leave this squabble to die...

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Trap speeds aside how come no stock GEN 3 EVER has run 11.5-11.7 in the quarter as Furman and Smith have run in Bone stock Gen 2s (Furman also trapped 122 in a bone stock Gen 2 i believe)

Alexarz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Trap speeds aside how come no stock GEN 3 EVER has run 11.5-11.7 in the quarter as Furman and Smith have run in Bone stock Gen 2s (Furman also trapped 122 in a bone stock Gen 2 i believe)

Maybe because nobody of that drag racing caliber has spent enough time trying in a Gen 3.

Twister, if the outside diameter of the tire is the same size, the wheel does not make a difference. I'm not sure if the GTS overall tire diameter is smaller than that of the SRT. A 19 inch rim on a lower profile tire can have the same outside diameter as a taller profile tire on a 17" rim. I don't know if this is the case between the GTS and SRT.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Actually Justin Bell ran an 11.7 at 123 in a stock 2003 SRT10..

another member ran an 11.5 at 124 mph off a 1.7 60 ft.. I forget his name but to him it didnt seem like a big deal. he didnt post much.

Ive searched the internet trying to find vids of stock SRT10's vs stock GTS's..to my surprise I found NONE...

But I did find this story on viper alley..

ENJOY..

GT vs. Z06 vs. SRT-10 vs. GTS street pulls

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guys this past weekend I went for some testing with some friends to do couple of street pulls on a deserted road. Sorry no video.

The players.

03 srt-10 with cat back 447 rwhp SAE.
06 Ford GT with filters and 3" Acufab exhaust.
06 Z06 Bone Stock
99 GTS with filters and cat back, 404 rwhp SAE.

I drove the SRT-10

30 to 150 mph SRt-10 vs. Z06
Z06 by three cars at 150 mph and pulling on me. I was dissapointed, thought it would be closer than that, and was hoping the Viper to pull it on 4th.

30 to 170 mph Z06 vs. GT
Z06 by 1/2 a car to 155, and GT by one car ahead by 170 mph. the GT came around on top of 4th gear a little. I thought the GT would pull the vette from the get go, but no dice.

SRT vs. GTS
30 to 140
SRT by 3 cars on the GTS. GTS did not run any more.

There you have it, take it for what is worth. The z06 looked like Barbi's car sorrounded by Batman's rides, but it did very good on our little test.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe because nobody of that drag racing caliber has spent enough time trying in a Gen 3.

Twister, if the outside diameter of the tire is the same size, the wheel does not make a difference. I'm not sure if the GTS overall tire diameter is smaller than that of the SRT. A 19 inch rim on a lower profile tire can have the same outside diameter as a taller profile tire on a 17" rim. I don't know if this is the case between the GTS and SRT.
Jamie (Furman )himself tried a few times and did not get a Gen 3 into the 11s.Smith drove my 06 numerious times on the street and felt the Gen 2s were quicker.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PS drivers like Smith and Furman need 2-3 runs total to get dialed in.For xample Evan ran my 08 (never so much as sat in the car )in 90 degree heat first run=11.5 ,second run 11.4 .On another cooler day (75 Degrees )first run =11.4 ,second run =11.3 .That was it due to time and weather restraints.

OP
OP
J

jamie furman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jamie (or anyone else with an '08), do you ever have any problems with the 2nd-3rd shift grinding? If I shift quickly my ACR goes into gear, but crunches a bit.

I'm hoping the clutch just needs bleeding, as there is quite a bit of dead-play in the top of the pedal, and some '08s have needed their clutch bled.

Man that doesn't sound good. My new ACR shifts better than any car I have ever owned except for my GT which is the best, but the new 08 Viper shifter ranks right up there with them.

OP
OP
J

jamie furman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Burtons car was not stock (no cats ).I believe Jamie Furman has run 11.5 in a bone stock Gen 2 .As far as Smith i was at the test session where he ran the 11.7 in the roadster

Joe thats right, I ran 11.59 at 123 mph and I have never owned a GTS that didn't run a least 11.6's bone stock, and I have had 6 of them. ET and MPH are going to vary because of track elevation, temps and traction as well as driver, the best test is the same car on the same track the same day.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put in the time with my SRT10 and once you learned the VERY TRICKY launch it was faster than my rt10..

tho flaw with my testing is that I used a FX2 timer. I have used the timer at the actual drag strip and found it to be VERY Acurate. Within 1.5 tenths and within 1.5 mph of my actual drag strip times..Id roll around and pick up 30 seconds later after the FX2 had flashed a 12.80 at 112.3 mph for my vette the timeslip might say 12.93 at 111.6..Or sometimes dead on to the timeslip..

Mt RT10 with

-aem
-no cats
-filters
-roller rockers dynoed 445 rwhp on the dyno jet and my best trapp speed ever out of 50 runs was a 122 mph trapp. backed up by many 120's and 121's..

My SRT10 with..

-no cats
-roller rockers dynoed 459 rwhp SAE on thesame dynojet and was also able to trapp 122 mph at it's best..

when I took off the cats I touched 123 and even a 124 mph trap with the SRT10..

Now Imagine If i also had an tune on the SRT10..125-126 mph trapps vrs the RT10's same modded tune/no cats/roller rockers/filters...

From my experiance with me driving modd for modd my SRT10 was a bit faster.

hell i even got 0-60 in 3.9 in the SRT10...Never hit 3's in the RT10..

in that same SRT10 i raced a GTS ACR viper..

The SRT10 had no cats/filters/roller rockers

The GTS ACR had 3.33 gears/no cats/ roller rockers..( dont forget it comes with filters and smooth tubes)

I was able to pull him by just a little...

Again from my experiances a regular GTS is inferior to a SRT10 as far as speed goes..

But a GTS ACR with a little lighter weight and the smooth tubes and filters..hell i dont know. thats a toss up

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Joe thats right, I ran 11.59 at 123 mph and I have never owned a GTS that didn't run a least 11.6's bone stock, and I have had 6 of them. ET and MPH are going to vary because of track elevation, temps and traction as well as driver, the best test is the same car on the same track the same day.

Were these GTS ACR's or just GTS's?

vipeuup

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Twister, Im curious what you have your A/F dialed in at? Especially living in the tropics. With that humidity, and salty air.

OP
OP
J

jamie furman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Were these GTS ACR's or just GTS's?

2 ACR's, 1 GTSR, 4 or 5 regular GTS's, the 11.59 was run in my 2000 ACR with 10k miles on it. My GTSR ran 11.61, my first Viper ever a 1997 gts ran 11.60 at 123 bone stock, same day with just drag radials ran 11.41 at 123 with 200 miles and a paper tag at the Md Va Viper Shootout. My 1996 GTS before I supercharged it ran 11.61 at 122 mph and my 2001 ACR about the same. I also ran 12.32 at 116 in my bone stock 1994 rt/10. I do think the 505 hp SRT is fast just wasn't a fan of the car because of my love for the GTS and didn't put in the time to find out what they would do.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jamie i remember that guy Burton he CLAIMED to be stock and i was getting Emails from Mass Vca guys telling me the cats and mufflers ect were not on the car.One time at Englishtown during the Atlantic Nats (you came with Jason )Burton was supposed to show up with his STOCK car to compete on Friday and Sat and he shows up Sunday afternoon after the competition was over.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Basically unless anyone can document a run faster the 11.59 in a stock Gen 3 the Gen 2s (giving up 50 horsepower) )are quicker in the quarter mile

OP
OP
J

jamie furman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jamie i remember that guy Burton he CLAIMED to be stock and i was getting Emails from Mass Vca guys telling me the cats and mufflers ect were not on the car.One time at Englishtown during the Atlantic Nats (you came with Jason )Burton was supposed to show up with his STOCK car to compete on Friday and Sat and he shows up Sunday afternoon after the competition was over.

Its funny I remember that day, his car was a silver gts and I remember thinking how loud it was and he was trying to convince us it was stock. Its usually pretty easy to hear and look at a car and see if its stock or not and his definately was.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yEA THATS THE GUY THAT CLAIMED 11.3 AT 123 MPH RIGHT..i TOOK HIM OFF THE LIST A LONG TIME AGO AS TO MANY SAID HE WASNT STOCK..

I might just buy a 03-06 SRT10 again bone stock to test and see what they can really do at the drag strip on maui hawaii..The problem is that these hawaiian tracks are pretty slow..My buddies best mph ever in his bone stock c6Z06 is 122 mph..So it almost seams unworth it unless im gonna run at a fast track.

Grant

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Man that doesn't sound good. My new ACR shifts better than any car I have ever owned except for my GT which is the best, but the new 08 Viper shifter ranks right up there with them.
My ACR (with a MGW shifter) does in fact have the best shifter feel of any car I've ever owned... But it crunches if I try to put it in 3rd quickly :( I think I'll bleed the clutch and see what happens.

Grant

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My ACR (with a MGW shifter) does in fact have the best shifter feel of any car I've ever owned... But it crunches if I try to put it in 3rd quickly :( I think I'll bleed the clutch and see what happens.
Never mind. Either I'm loosing my touch, or the trans just needed some more miles on it. Its fine now, and I just PBoxed the car to a 11.5 @ 128.2 (127.0 trap speed) on a level road with no wind. The wing and splitter extension were installed (everything about the car is set up for SRT's recommended rough track settings).

These PSCs **** when they are cold, and are too expensive for me to want to heat up. I really couldn't do any better than a 2.10 60', with wheelhop. I'm not sure how much better a prepped drag strip would be, as I've never really run on one that was worth a damn.

Some more PBox data:
Time to speed: (with one foot of rollout)
0-60: 3.89 (3.55)
0-100: 7.78 (7.44)
0-150: 17.01 (16.67)

I'm not sure, but I think mags use a one foot of rollout for all tests? They certainly do for the 1/4 mile.

Last edited:

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Is this the same guy I was refering to in my post? I could have sworn his name was Brunton not Burton.. If you are talking about someone else nevermind....I was offered a ride by Brunton way back when he was at Etown...thats the only reason I remembered his name all these years.....If its the same guy I do remember him saying his car was bone stock. So it may be the same guy we are talking about.

OP
OP
J

jamie furman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is this the same guy I was refering to in my post? I could have sworn his name was Brunton not Burton.. If you are talking about someone else nevermind....I was offered a ride by Brunton way back when he was at Etown...thats the only reason I remembered his name all these years.....If its the same guy I do remember him saying his car was bone stock. So it may be the same guy we are talking about.

Your right it is Brunton

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats him all right .Mister no mufflers,no cats BUT my car is stock.As i mentioned previously showed up on a Sunday to race for an event that concluded on Saturday.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21